Cayin Audio HA-1A Tube Rolling
Jul 13, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #91 of 102
BUMP!

I recently bought this unit, and coupled with the HD600, I am finding the bass a little too prominent and the treble slightly rolled off which creates a very heavy and warm sound (fantastic body and midrange though!)
I am looking for new tubes (affordable preferably) in order to have a little less bass weight and a little more extension in the highs while retaining the rich body and midrange. Which tubes would you recommend?

Current tubes I am using:
JAN-Phillips 5751
Electro-Harmonix 12AU7
2 x Soviet Russian Reflektor 6Pi14pi EB (branded OTK on the tube)

Thanks for the help!

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #93 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin.T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BUMP!

I recently bought this unit, and coupled with the HD600, I am finding the bass a little too prominent and the treble slightly rolled off which creates a very heavy and warm sound (fantastic body and midrange though!)
I am looking for new tubes (affordable preferably) in order to have a little less bass weight and a little more extension in the highs while retaining the rich body and midrange. Which tubes would you recommend?

Current tubes I am using:
JAN-Phillips 5751
Electro-Harmonix 12AU7
2 x Soviet Russian Reflektor 6Pi14pi EB (branded OTK on the tube)

Thanks for the help!

you might try the RFT 12au7: RFT ECC82 / 12AU7

it's susposedly a "clean" sounding tube, but i only compared it to the stock tube. from memory, more detailed and balanced top to bottom.

also, i assume you've tried switching the variable output impedance?

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #95 of 102
Hello -I'm here to resurrect this zombie thread in hope of a little guidance :)

My little dott MKIII died recently and I replaced it with the Ha-1A. I have a fair few tubes from my little dott amp (some rather expensive by my standards) and I'm wondering if any of them can be used with the Caylin?

Here are some of the best ones:

4 x Seimens C3g tubes with C3g to 6ak5/6J1 adaptors
8 x 6sn7 Sylvania GTA tubes with 6sn7 to ecc88/6dj8 adaptors
2 x GE 12sn7 gta tubes
2 x 6h30n-eb sovtek tubes
2 x 6c19n-b russian tubes with rocket logo
2 x XII-78 russian tubes
2 x cv4014 tubes
loads of various gb5654 tubes including gold brand sylvanias

Am I out of luck? Really hoping some can be used - particularly those C3g/ tubes which were end game tubes for the little dott :)

I've read the whole thread and found nothing - but I'm a little lost with tube names etc.

If anyone can help, I'd be realy gratefull.
Sam

Sep 4, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #97 of 102
I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but need a bit of help.

Just picked one of these up with no tubes. And no labels on which socket is what.

Is it front socket 12AX7
2 outside EL84
back socket 12AU7?

Mar 17, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #99 of 102
I'm back to try and resurrect this zombie thread :)

I've been using this amp for nearly 2 years, and I'm in love with the sound. Recently, on a whim, I connected the speaker terminals on the back to my Monitor Audio Studio speakers and couldn't believe what I heard. It sounded better than any of my Yamaha or Marantz SS amps have ever sounded! Also gives me plenty of volume for my near-field listening set-up. I'm really blown away.

Is anyone still using this amp? Anyone want to join me and keep the tube rolling going?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back