Cayin Audio HA-1A Tube Rolling
Oct 9, 2007 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

Superpredator

Headphoneus Supremus
I've tried to piece together what I can about which tubes to try with the Cayin HA-1A and I'm not quite getting there. I had some luck the last time I started a tube rolling thread, so here I go again.

12AX7 x 1
12AU7 x 1
EL84 x 2

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 102
I cannot speak to the Cayin specifically, but I can offer the following suggestions:

1. If you want truly gorgeous sound, and have deep pockets, get some Amperex Bugle Boy's for all 4 tubes. I have Bugle Boys in my ASL MG Head (EL84 and 12AX7), and they are all that. STUNNING sound. Pricey, though.

2. Slightly less expensive would be to get RCA tubes. In this case make sure you're getting USA-made RCA's. Not all were. This should cost less than half of what the Bugle Boys will cost.

3. If you want to go very cheap, get Electro-Harmonix gold pin. Not as nice as vintage US tubes IMO, but way better than cheap Chinese tubes.

Hope that helps in some small way. There are a ZILLION options in those tube types of course.

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope that helps in some small way. There are a ZILLION options in those tube types of course.

Yes it does, and that's the problem! I peeked inside and it appears I have Electro-Harmonix EL84 x 2 in there already, though gold pins they probably aren't.

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 102
I flipped through the Cayin manual last night and came across the following:

◆ Two EL84 tubes are used for class A S.E. amplification.
◆ One 12AX7 and one 12AU7 are used in the preamplifier.

I had thought that the EL84 were power tubes in the Cayin. If I'm primarily going to be using the HA-1A for driving headphones does it make sense to put my money into these tubes? Am I interpreting this correctly? Do the 12AX7 and 12AU7 have an effect on the sound for headphone output or just the preamp?

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 102
You are correct, the EL84's are power tubes, and the 12AX7/AU7 are preamp (driver) tubes. It's possible that one of those 2 tubes is for the headphone out and one for the preamp, I wouldn't know without knowing the circuit topology. But in any case, they will all effect the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

If the amp has EH tubes already, then you'd need to step up to some NOS/used vintage tube of good quality to have a big difference. RCA's might be a good place to start.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried to piece together what I can about which tubes to try with the Cayin HA-1A and I'm not quite getting there. I had some luck the last time I started a tube rolling thread, so here I go again.

12AX7 x 1
12AU7 x 1
EL84 x 2

stuff i've tried in the Cayin.

EL84: fave ones are the Amperex, Brimar, Mullard & Telefunken. at current ridiculous prices for these legends, they're poor value for money so buy them only if u have the budget. instead, i will rec the current prod russian Electro-Harmonix EL84EH which is based on the Mullard tube and sounds pretty darn close to the NOS http://cgi.ebay.com/EL84-Electro-Har...QQcmdZViewItem

12ax7: all-time fave in this family are the subs called 5751. they have slightly less gain than normal 12ax7, though i haven't really noticed but it comes with superior quietness and way less sibilant than 12ax7's. best NOS in this class have triple-micas and dual support rods which add another layer of goodness to the overall sound. the gandalfs are Sylvania 5751 triple-mica grey plates, Raytheon 5751 triple-mica black plates, GE 5751 triple-mica black plates & the Tung-Sol 5751 dual-mica tall plates. the downside? these babies are rare and hard to find, plus they come at a high cost. but u can get really excellent results with ready available NOS dual-micas. many of which are available on eBay. here's a really value for money GE matched pair http://cgi.ebay.com/2-matched-GE-575...QQcmdZViewItem

12au7: my fave is the RCA Clear Top which is still readily available on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/2-matched-RCA-Cl...QQcmdZViewItem

collectively these tubes will take your Cayin to another level. HAPPY HUNTING!!

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 102
Agree the GE 5-star 5751's are great.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 102
Without spending too much I've nabbed a single Sylvania 5751 triple-mica grey plate and four RCA 12AU7 clear tops. Next comes the EL84. Do I go for the bugle boys?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Considering how the Cayin sounds even with the so-so tubes I'm using now I'm truly surprised it doesn't have a thread to rival the one dedicated to the Yamamoto HA-02. Hopefully I will get some of the noise down when I install the NOS / vintage tubes. After that I don't think I'll be able to live without this thing.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 102
Quote:

Without spending too much I've nabbed a single Sylvania 5751 triple-mica grey plate and four RCA 12AU7 clear tops. Next comes the EL84. Do I go for the bugle boys?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Considering how the Cayin sounds even with the so-so tubes I'm using now I'm truly surprised it doesn't have a thread to rival the one dedicated to the Yamamoto HA-02. Hopefully I will get some of the noise down when I install the NOS / vintage tubes. After that I don't think I'll be able to live without this thing.

"Sylvania 5751 triple-mica grey plate"

nice find! does it have gold pins?

Yamamoto? nah. LOL it's got wood...

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by sghound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Sylvania 5751 triple-mica grey plate"

nice find! does it have gold pins?

No gold pins. I don't think it's one of the primo Sylvania 5751s, but I think it should do the trick nonetheless.

Sylvania5751.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by sghound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yamamoto? nah. LOL it's got wood...

But the wood is so pretty! The Yamamoto has its own sound, especially with Audio-Technicas, but the Cayin seems to be more of a beast. For the first time in a long time I am satisfied with the K340. It was neglected for so long.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 102
Quote:

No gold pins. I don't think it's one of the primo Sylvania 5751s, but I think it should do the trick nonetheless.

turn the tube halfway around, if it has the extra dual support rods, it's a primo!

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 102
Since you got RCA cleartops, I'd go with RCA EL84's.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 102
Yup, my thinking exactly. That will sound NIIIIIICE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back