Cayin Audio HA-1A Tube Rolling
May 12, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #76 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried 12BH7 in the 12AU7 spot--not only did it work, it worked better.
I got a stash of old 12BH7 tubes: 3 Raytheon, 1 RCA branded Zenith, Tung-Sol, 1 NEC, 1 Sylvania.

Quick impressions:
Raytheon: a bit too bright, nice textures
RCA: Very sweett mids, a bit thin in the treble, slightly higher noise
Tung-Sol: Lowest noise, strong and clear sound
Sylvania: laid-back sound, a bit dark
NEC: slightly higher noise, a bit dry and not too involving

Right now I am using Tung-Sol
Sylvania would be my second choice

Perhaps it is due to the lower gain factor of 12BH7 compared to 12AU7, or due to circuit topology, I feel that overall the noise is reduced and the sound is sweeter when 12BH7 is used. I really like it. It is the first time that I am enjoying Grado SR225 on HA-1A. The slight background noise heard on SR225 is not an issue because pop music has limited dynamics in general.

I just bought some NOS 6P14P-EB and very quiet 5751 tubes to see if I can get even lower noise.

In addition to Phillips ECG JAN 5751 (low noise selected from Tube Depot), Tung-Sol 12BH7, now I got Soviet Military 6P14P-EB from the 1980s. The Soviet tubes replaced NOS EL84 branded Marconi Radiotron (Canada). The Russian tubes give great clarity and weight, without sacrificing warmth. The noise is low enough that even with SR225, it is nothing more than the tape hiss of analog recordings on CD. I believe that listening to a bunch of affordable NOS or even used tubes is a great way to get great sound. There was so much re-branding among the manufacturers in 50s-70s that I am never sure about brand of tube I am actually listening to. As long as I like the result, I could not care less about the brand or date or the shape of getters.

With Benchmark DAC1, Cayin HA-1A (w/ some good old tubes) and AKG K1000, what the heck is digititis? I listen to a few amazing violin recordings on modern violins made by J. Nagyvary. And then I listen to a fine Nayvary violin in my own possession, played badly by myself. The realism out of my system is shocking, and I have been satisfied for more than a year now. This is why I rarely post here nowadays--I am no longer looking for upgrades. Instead, I turned to violin research. An article of mine will appear in the Summer 2008 issue of Journal of the Violin Society of America, about Stradivari's violin varnish.

May 12, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #78 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a used one of these from Ebay for $740 shipped & insured (I'm in Canada)
I will be using a Lavry Da10 and AKG 241 (sextetts) and K501's

Now I just need to order some tubes...

And time to keep an eye for K1K..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now I got Soviet Military 6P14P-EB from the 1980s. The Soviet tubes replaced NOS EL84 branded Marconi Radiotron (Canada). The Russian tubes give great clarity and weight, without sacrificing warmth.

Hey, what took you so long? Enjoy.

May 13, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #79 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, what took you so long? Enjoy.

I was too lazy to burn them in. So they sat leisurely in my speaker amp for months with little use. And then I decided to swap it in--kaboom, it works great. Jon, your tube recommendations are generally right-on--you actually listen to them, I believe.

No time for audio hobby since I picked up fiddling again. Making music badly is still really fun. And where do you upgrade in terms of classical beyond my setup? Not electrostatic cans, not fancy speakers. Maybe expensive SET amp and CD player is the only way up, but why? For that money I bought myself a great modern violin way better than what I need. It may even become a family treasure.

Violin research is taking up insane hours of work. If researching European tubes made 50 years ago is hard, researching music hardware made 300 years ago in Italy by semi-literate woodworkers is much harder. But it has been a rewarding journey. If you know a library that has VSA Journal, you can read my article in August. I believe it is the first scientific review of Stradivari's violin varnish since violin research began 200 years ago.

May 14, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #81 of 102
Last night I was having problems with my Audio Research Pre-amp. I had a hiss out of the left speaker. I switched things around and after a while determined that it was coming from the pre-amp. I changed back to my old tubes today and the noise was gone.

However, out of desperation, I hooked up my Cayin as a preamp. It sounded pretty good although there was a noticeable hum across the speakers with the music wasn't playing. Normally, I have the Cayin feed by a Music Hall CD-25, but last night I had it connected to my Denon 3910. When I tried this combination with headphones, the hum was very bad even with the volume down and the impedence set to the lowest value.

I did a web search today and found this post on another board:

Quote:

You are experiencing a ground loop hum because the digital ground on USB is tied to mains Earth on your computer whilst the signal ground is tied to mains Earth on the amp.

Due to the length of the interconnects, usb cables, power supply cables, conductivity of the computer chassis or combination of the mentioned, there exists a voltage difference between the 2 ground levels, thereby causing a ground loop hum.

One way to try and solve this is to use what we call a cheater plug on the Cayin. This lifts the mains Earth connection from the amp. Alternatively, use a 2-pin power cable to power the Cayin.

This was posted by Dreamslacker on VR Zone forum:

HTML Code:

Code:
[left]http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=149598&page=4[/left]

Cayin HA-1A Headphone Amp - Page 4 - VR-Zone IT & Lifestyle Forum!

I put a two prong adapter on my Cayin power cord and it really reduced the hum. This weekend, I am going to replace my power strips and build some power cords. I am starting to think that the very thick expensive power cords cause more problems than they fix.

May 27, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #82 of 102
Does someone here recognize either of these tubes on my HA-1A. The amp sounds wonderful with my 880 but just want to know what I'm actually using.

BTW, I've replaced the tube on the right with a NOS Mullard CV4004 from the 70s. The power tube has marking "JJ EL84", is JJ a brand or a logo from some brand?

Thanks.

May 29, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #83 of 102
Here is a link to an ad for the JJ tubes:

JJ EL84 / 6BQ5

I think it is a brand but I am not certain. The tube store says this about JJ:
Quote:

These tubes are hand made in the newly reorganized Tesla factory, recently relocated in the Slovak Republic. This legendary tube factory has built many OEM tubes under brand names such as Telefunken, Siemens, Amperex, Mullard, and Brimar.

Where in the amp was the tube on the right located? According to the tube depot,iyour Mullard is a very nice version of a 12AX7

Mullard CV4004 / 12AX7

May 29, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #84 of 102
Thanks for the link Michael10, they look like Tesla EL84 (see attached photo).

The tube on the right in my previous post is nearest the window, in slot for 12AX7. With the Mullard CV4004 rolled in, effect is more 3D plus a touch more texture and fuller tone.

I've considered changing the other tube to Mullard CV4003 (12AU7) but have yet to do it as sound is very satisfactory now.

Aug 23, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #85 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EZSIDE, where did you score your tubes?

All on eBay. BTW, in the meantime I've imported a few 5751s (JAN Sylvania & GE 5 Star Gold) & EL84s (Matsu****a) that I already had in Seattle but after much fooling around I've pretty much settled on the Westinghouse/GE 5751, RCA black plate 12BH7 & Valvo EL84s in the Cayin.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #86 of 102
I just bought a Sylvania 5751, sylvania 12BH7 and a pair of JJ el84 for my Cayin HA-1A.

Can anyone comment if this is a good combination? It's certainly miles better than stock.

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #87 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a Sylvania 5751, sylvania 12BH7 and a pair of JJ el84 for my Cayin HA-1A.

Can anyone comment if this is a good combination? It's certainly miles better than stock.

Try these Russian tubes for EL84

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #88 of 102
I really like the RCA 6BQ5's in the Cayin. These would be the older mid-sixties, gray or black plate round cylinder type. The RCA's have a sweet top end, clear-mids, and punchy bass. As compared to Mullards, which I also have and enjoy, the RCA's are a bit more dynamic, but not as warm sounding. I also use RCA Command series 5751's at the 12AX7 position, and a RCA triple-mica 5814 at the 12AU7 spot. This warm sounding combo helps take the edge off the AKG 701's upper mid-range peak. For listening with my Sennheiser HD-600's, I swap out the RCA 5814 with a RCA Cleartop 12AU7, and the RCA 5751 with a Tung-sol 5751 for a brighter presentation.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #89 of 102
Total tube rollin' newb here. This thing will be at my doorstep anytime now and I think I want to try this out, but my wallet doesn't want to go stretch that much. I have a general understanding of it from what I read but still have much to learn, of course.

Listening to primarily classic rock, orchestral (think E.S. Posthumous, and electronic, I'm not looking for a tube with a very bright sound. So I want to change the tube that'll give me the most change sonically.

Would I be more interested with the Sovtek 5751 or maybe the Sovtek 12AX7LPS?

If you have other suggestions, hopefully within the <$40-$50 mark, I'm open.

My sig shows that I use the HD-650.

[edit]Went ahead and ordered the JAN Philips 5751: http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-5751jan.html

May 18, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #90 of 102
What kind of tubes should I look for with this kind of music : hip-hop, electro-pop, trance and many genres of electronic music ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back