Cavalli Liquid Fire vs HeadAmp GS-X vs Woo Aduio WA22, WA5le vs Eddie Current Balancing Act vs Audio GD Master 8 vs RSA Dark Star vs SPL Phonitor
Oct 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
Tried others, the B22, GS-X, LF, WA5 - they all had their plusses (WA5 was great with the K1000, LF was a good all-arounder, B22 was a solid amp for planars) but as I said the BA did the best with the most - especially the HD800 and Audeze, which are my favorites.  It is also supposed to mate wonderfully with high efficiency like Grado, Denon, Fostex dynamics, etc., though I haven't owned any of those since I've owned the BA

The ones I have not had the chance to try that I have wondered about is the DNA Stratus and the Apex Pinnacle

As sleepy said, tube cost is also a factor, though the stock EH for $150 and TS for $20 are still pretty darn good. 

True, true. If for whatever reason you may have desired a solid state balanced amp what would you have considered?   On the tube end I had not considered the DNA,  looks great,  might need to do some research into it.

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #18 of 23
You are looking in the right neighborhood

- AMB Sigma/Beta 22, 4-Channel (YBM Audio)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
- Donald North Audio Stratus 2A3
- Eddie Current Balancing Act
- HeadAmp GS-X
- Ray Samuels Audio The Dark Star

Pick some headphones first see what you prefer between the Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Hifiman or Sennheiser with loaners. Then decide upon an amp. All of these are well regarded by many. Which one that you'll prefer will depend on a number of variables.

Headphones first
Amp second
DAC third
Cables fourth

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
The B22 and GS-X which I tried would be the front runners.  If I was personally in the market for balanced solid state I'd also check out the new schiit (which I haven't heard) and try to get a demo of the liquid gold as I have been very impressed with what I've heard from Cavalli thus far.

That seems consistent with my feelings thus far,  I actually emailed Cavalli after reading your post to get some more info on the liquid gold.  Demos, demos, demos,  where do people usually do their demoing?  I don't see any local meets coming up and I would feel strange asking a member to play with their expensive toys.

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:
You are looking in the right neighborhood
- AMB Sigma/Beta 22, 4-Channel (YBM Audio)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
- Donald North Audio Stratus 2A3
- Eddie Current Balancing Act
- HeadAmp GS-X
- Ray Samuels Audio The Dark Star
Pick some headphones first see what you prefer between the Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Hifiman or Sennheiser with loaners. Then decide upon an amp. All of these are well regarded by many. Which one that you'll prefer will depend on a number of variables.
Headphones first
Amp second
DAC third
Cables fourth

Have you had a chance to try all of these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back