Cavalli Liquid Fire & Leben CS300X
May 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Spaniard

New Head-Fier
Disclaimer- this is not only my first post in Head-fi, but also my first equiment review. Plus I am just an audio aficionado- no sound engineering nor musical credentials. As such, my listening impressions only represent my personal views, although I hope they can be of help to other Head-fiers

Testing equipment:

Stock LF; Leben CS-300X(S) with Mullard NOS valves
Source: Computer, Ipod + Onkyo NSD-1
DAC: W4S 2, Ava Audio Fet Valve DAC
Headphones: LCD-2 v1 with ALO cable; HD800
Other equipment owned: Burson 160D. Not worth including in the comparison- it would be the equivalent of comparing a (nice) family car with two Ferraris. I’d also prefer not to get into the “value for money” debate (if value for money was the key decision issue, there would not be high-end audio)

Preliminary comments

Leben + HD800 = permanent buzz, clearly audible when music is not playing or is very quiet (such as the first bars of Rossini’s Stabat Mater). This has been verified with 2 different Leben amps (my first CS300Xs was replaced by another from a different batch due to the buzzing issue), and different HD800 headphones, sources, DACs, valves and power units. This might refer to only 220V CS300s, or more recent units, as there appears to be quite a few users that have not experienced it, but HD800 owners should consider it carefully when making a purchasing decision. The buzz disappears with the LCD-2 and is louder with T1s, so might be impedance related

Imaging & soundstage

The Liquid Fire provides a better soundstage presentation vs the Leben- music is more to the front (vs the sides)  while simultaneously, the soundstage is more tri-dimensional (deeper), with wonderful layering and separation between instruments- the “blackness” of the LF background also extends to the space between instruments. The Liquid Fire also provides a better feeling of music being “out of your head”- it is the closest experience to speakers I have heard, regardless of the headphones it’s used with.
The paradoxical downside of this is that the LF creates significant differences across recordings: once you have heard a great recording on the LF, an average one will seem pretty dull by comparison. Something similar occurs with complex, multi-layered tunes vs simpler “wall of sound” music. This is an amp that will make great music shine. The Leben is also differentiating, but helps compensate across recording quality.

Sound

In terms of tonal quality, the Liquid Fire provides an extremely neutral sound- you get the impression of hearing music “as is”, completely pure. The Leben has flavor- music has a degree of lushness and a more “tubey” character. Thus, each amp might be suited to different personal preferences and types of music.
  1. While LF  would fit those looking for musical neutrality, Leben would be more attractive to those who like a touch of color (of course, the type of color provided has to be to your taste)
  2. LF seems better with pop, rock and electronic music, probably benefitting from the solid state element; both are great with jazz, vocal and acoustic. With classical music, the Leben background hum hurts the listening experience.
Both amplifiers provide outstanding detail retrieval, although slightly better in the LF; the LF once again benefits from its completely dark background. Bass is “rounder” (softer?) on the Leben; more controlled on LF. Notes linger for an instant more on the Leben, which in some cases provides slightly more texture; the downside is that it blurs a bit the transitions between notes. The LF sounds closer to a solid state amp, providing precise attack and precise decay- it’s more assertive while the Leben is more suggestive.
In the end, both are musical in slightly different ways. The Leben is musical because it makes the music sound great. The LF not only makes music sound great but provides both an impression of the music being more realistic and of you being there.
What I find interesting is that the LF + AVA Fet Valve DAC are making a difference with my HD800s. Up till now, I used the LCD-2 to listen to everything but classical- that is quickly changing. While I still consider the HD800 a tad too light for rock & techno (too much treble), the airiness and imaging capabilities of the LF and the Sennheisers add up to create a unique listening experience with most other music types.

Final note

As several others, I started my audiophile trip on the most innocent way by buying headphones for my computer a few years ago. Since then, I have spent more money than initially expected, have moved from loudspeakers to headphones, have discovered the subjective quality of reviews -in particular those of top level equipment-, and have had hours of fun trying to make informed decisions about equipment with no chance to listen to most alternatives. I have also found two great sounding amps, both of which are extremely satisfying in slightly different ways: at this level, differences are marginal and “better” may easily mean “more to my taste”. However, it’s only after getting the LF that I don’t see any need for more tests or upgrades. This, for me is the ultimate compliment: there might be better amps out there (stats?), but for me, the LF is good enough that I am no longer willing to look for them.

May 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 39
I forgot to add that your impressions mirror my take on the Leben and the LF. Also, the Leben is by a large margin my favorite looking of all that I've owned to date.

May 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 39
cracker of a first post.. hope you stick around.

And needless to say, am NOT at all surprised by the outcome. 
tongue.gif

May 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 39
Thanks sachu. I've veen lurking around for a while
biggrin.gif
. In fact, I have to thank you all for helping me choose the Leben and the LF without a chance of auditioning either!!
I'm intrigued by mwilson's post. He says my impressions mirror his, but for him the Leben is the favorite amp by a large margin (I notice he has also owned a LF), while for me it is the Liquid Fire for a smaller one. I suppose this is where personal tastes make a difference.

May 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 39
Like sachu said. Looks wise. But that was easy; my dishwasher looks better than the LF. At least the LEDs are concealed. (Alex will probably stick a dead fish in my LL for all my LED bashing 
biggrin.gif
)

May 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 39
The Leben is a great amplifier. My girlfriend uses the CS 300X and im continually surprised by how impressive the overall signature is, with a huge variety of headphones. The R10's also sound great with it.... that said, I do need to start rolling some tubes for her, as although I love the Mullard NOS, they sound a little too warm to me at times. Ideal for phones with a little tendency for sibilance however.

The Leben is an extremely musical amplifier and exudes all the great qualities we know and love from a quality Valve/tube design.

Nice writeup, thanks for taking the time to post your views.

May 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 39
I haven't personally heard the Leben, or anything else in the range, but this 

This, for me is the ultimate compliment: there might be better amps out there (stats?), but for me, the LF is good enough that I am no longer willing to look for them.

Is pretty much exactly my take. I do have another amp in it's price range on the way, but it's not an upgrade or replacement. Simply another amp for another station and I wanted some variety. Since I upgraded from my old Burson160D, to the LF, I have felt like "I'm as high as I need to go". I don't need to waste my time (or money) chasing that 1% or so of improvement that may or may not exist.
Things change and you never know what might happen, but I really think anything more is a 'sidegrade' or a change of flavor. The Stax guys will probably disagree, and there is probably something too that, I just don't think that for me, the rabbit hole goes much deeper, and if it does, it's probably not worth my time to find out.

May 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:
Things change and you never know what might happen, but I really think anything more is a 'sidegrade' or a change of flavor. The Stax guys will probably disagree, and there is probably something too that, I just don't think that for me, the rabbit hole goes much deeper, and if it does, it's probably not worth my time to find out.

The rabbit hole goes all the way to googleli's apartment in Hong Kong 
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

The rabbit hole goes all the way to googleli's apartment in Hong Kong 
biggrin.gif

Yes well, in that case I'll stick right where I am.
cool.gif

May 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:
Like sachu said. Looks wise. But that was easy; my dishwasher looks better than the LF. At least the LEDs are concealed. (Alex will probably stick a dead fish in my LL for all my LED bashing 
biggrin.gif
)

oh dude!..you getting an LL eh? thought you went with the BHSE?

Looking forward to your thoughts when you get the LL!..less than a month away hopefully  :)

May 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #13 of 39
I did order the BHSE. But I'm afraid patience was never one of my virtues, and, based on many PMs with those who've heard both and with whose hearing I can relate, as well as my fondness of the LF sound, I decided to go with the LL; for now, at least. We'll see about the BHSE as it nears completion and how I will feel regarding LL.

May 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:
I did order the BHSE. But I'm afraid patience was never one of my virtues, and, based on many PMs with those who've heard both and with whose hearing I can relate, as well as my fondness of the LF sound, I decided to go with the LL; for now, at least. We'll see about the BHSE as it nears completion and how I will feel regarding LL.

haha..i hear you..hopefully the LL will treat you well :)

May 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 39
Fantastic write up! I have not yet heard the Leben, but your descriptions of the LF are very much in-line with mine. The JJ stock tubes were ok with the amp, but it did improve quite a bit with the Genalex Gold Lions. I do have a matched quad of Mullard E88CC coming in next week. It does seem to respond to tube changes quite well so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back