Cavalli EHHA Embedded Hybrid Headphone Amp
Sep 24, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #976 of 1,823
I see. Took a look at the LT1085 datasheet and it looks fine for this.
1.25(1+(1800/200)) = 12.5

Already need to get some parts from Mouser or Digikey so I might as well
save a few bucks and just do this myself. Though I may reconsider if the pcb
is much better than what I'm assembling. Did you need to put a heatsink on the regulator?

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #977 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougie085 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guessing you haven't been able to compare it to the Mosfet version?

I don't know if anyone's had the chance. I hear that a MOSFET version might make its way to RMAF - if that's the case the comapro can be made there. I have the parts to build a three channel mosfet version - someday.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #979 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by liwei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you need to put a heatsink on the regulator?

Yes..you will need a heatsink for sure. If you are driving 6H30s or 6N6Ps then use a bigger heatsink as they draw close to 2A through the heater(for a 2 amp board pasive ground EHHA setup).

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the parts to build a three channel mosfet version - someday.

Yeah 3 channel seems such a waste of components, but that's me. I do need to buy a stereo kit from Jeff before/he runs out of them so I can build the BJT version.

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #980 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter Millet's DC filament supply is very nice and robust if you want to go the DIY route which is what I am using.

perhaps that isn't what you think it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #981 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps that isn't what you think it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Could you elaborate please Marc. I thought that was a simple regulated DC heater supply which is what I am using it for.

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #983 of 1,823
I thought the filament was the heater. Am I wrong? Isn't filament = heater ? I am still a noob when it comes to toobs so excuse my question if it sounds too basic
tongue.gif
. Never heard of the term Direct Heated Tube (DHT) before.

What is the difference between DHTs and say the 6GM8 tube? Would be much obliged if you could point me to some information on this.

That supply does great work as a heater supply though. Hardly any ripple and can source full 5A.

Edit: NM, nikongod filled me in on what the basic differences are. Need to read up more on DHTs.

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #987 of 1,823
Hi,
This question might not make any sense to most of you, but I have to ask. Is the 6.3v transformer heater absolutely necessary? Can I get away by omitting it all together and just wait a couple of minutes for the tubes to warm before attempting to listen to music?
Thanks,
gabriel

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #988 of 1,823
No, the 6.3v transformer is what heats the tubes up. No transformer, no heat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabriel-dan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
This question might not make any sense to most of you, but I have to ask. Is the 6.3v transformer heater absolutely necessary? Can I get away by omitting it all together and just wait a couple of minutes for the tubes to warm before attempting to listen to music?
Thanks,
gabriel

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #989 of 1,823
Does any one still have a copy of the .XLS BOM i have seen one talked about several times but cant seem to find it. Thinking of building this for my next project to feed the new HD650's i have on the way.

-Lybbert

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #990 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by lybbert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does any one still have a copy of the .XLS BOM i have seen one talked about several times but cant seem to find it. Thinking of building this for my next project to feed the new HD650's i have on the way.

-Lybbert

I would strongly suggest you email Jef at Glassjaraudio. He will email you the BOM if you plan to buy the kit from him, which is well put together and cheap.

The details of the parts list of the amp is up online here

Great choice though..i fell in love with this amp the first time after listening to my HD580 (which I had at the time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back