Cavalli EHHA Embedded Hybrid Headphone Amp
Oct 7, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #991 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah 3 channel seems such a waste of components, but that's me. I do need to buy a stereo kit from Jeff before/he runs out of them so I can build the BJT version.

I take it you've not heard one. I have, as that was the stepping stone to my balanced version. Think of it in the way the M^3 is to the b22. My M^3 is gone...

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #992 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you've not heard one. I have, as that was the stepping stone to my balanced version. Think of it in the way the M^3 is to the b22. My M^3 is gone...

Hmmm...I can't say I have done an extensive side by side comparison between a 2 channel passive ground and a 3 channel version..

I just don't know if I am ready to go with a balanced rig just yet..
ph34r.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #994 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sachu, we should get together and buy a kit and split it then we can both do active ground
wink.gif

Bill, is there a small component difference with an active ground channel like there is with the beta?

Yes there is Smeggy.

Heh..I would love to do taht except I don't know where I would put that extra board in my case. I Like the way it is so compact, with the power supply all in one case.

I would'nt mind building the ground channel up for you and test it out on my amp
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #995 of 1,823
Hey, I just want to say the balanced EHHA wiatrob built and brought to CanJam is a fantastic amp, and great with my K1000 and HD800. I'll be listening to it more here at my home and will give my final thoughts later.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #996 of 1,823
Sweet I cant wait for HPA's summary of it vs the big production model tube gears.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #997 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet I cant wait for HPA's summary of it vs the big production model tube gears.

I can tell you right now that it beats my ZDT with K1000. Will have to see about everything else...

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #998 of 1,823
that statement right there shows the effectiveness of DIY price difference!

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #999 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell you right now that it beats my ZDT with K1000. Will have to see about everything else...

Heh..I am not surprised..now, I would like to see how it does against the Balancing Act.
popcorn.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #1,000 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh..I am not surprised..now, I would like to see how it does against the Balancing Act.
popcorn.gif

Well, Craig says the BA with 300B will do better with K1000, but I don't know if it can top the EHHA with K1000.

Also, the WA5 at RMAF wasn't that much better with K1000 than my ZDT, and it still sounded too laid back. Back in July the ZDT was better with K1000 than the borrowed prototype WA22 - while the WA22 had the power it didn't have the punch and control the K1000 needed. However, the new final revision of the WA22 at RMAF also sounded better to me with K1000 than the ZDT, or even the WA5. I don't think Jack Wu agreed with me on the WA22 vs WA5 (which uses 300B).

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #1,001 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, Craig says the BA with 300B will do better with K1000, but I don't know if it can top the EHHA with K1000.

Interesting..I would love someone with the ability to do this comparison to try and do it. The EHHA was after all designed with the K1000 in mind while also catering to other headphones..so I would expect it to be quite formidable.

Now I have heard the AKG K1000 in singe ended configuration on my EHHA (same AKG K1K that Tyler has) but have no exposure to Craig's amps.

The EHHA made such a big impression on me when i had just started getting into this hobby that it was just unbelievable that only 3 or 4 of them existed till early this year even though the design had gone live back in 2006..

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #1,002 of 1,823
Oh my where have I been, I’ve read this thread for the last 2 hours or so, my wallets just begging for mercy. Thank you sachu and smeggy for kicking this off and putting it on the map, I’m very keen for a balanced build.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #1,003 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my where have I been, I’ve read this thread for the last 2 hours or so, my wallets just begging for mercy.

Well at least it will only bleed your wallet half as much as your balanced B22 did for sure
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #1,004 of 1,823
First steps to heaven, I have a question regarding gain - has anyone completed a balanced build yet? I’m thinking headphones only, my source outputs ~4VRMS - what would be a good starting point with 300ohm phones in balanced config? Maybe socketed resistors would be advisable.

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #1,005 of 1,823
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA

I knew when I sent you that pm worded as it was that it'd only be a matter of hours until you were in here
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back