Cavalli EHHA Embedded Hybrid Headphone Amp
Oct 27, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #1,667 of 1,823
I have been considering building this for a long time now, sold my x-can and have an excuse now
biggrin.gif
. I like the idea of this because it can also power efficient speakers if properly setup. I am a bit new to DIY however, have previously built a cmoy and a cth. Have a few questions about the build; If setup for speaker use, I assume the headphone out would also be setup for high gain use. Is it possible to have a switch for the gain on this amp? Allot of the headphones in my inventory at the moment are low impedance. Or do you just have to socket resistors and switch them? 

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #1,668 of 1,823
a switch for the gain will definitely be the way to go. Perhaps John can pitch in with his observations/comments as he is the only person thus far to have built one for dual duty.

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #1,669 of 1,823
As Sachu pointed out a gain switch in your case will be necessary.

My amp has no gain switch, in my scenario I’m using it with efficient horn speakers and various high impedance phones.

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #1,673 of 1,823
Nice Job!

One quick suggestion about the Adapter.  De-nude it and mount on stand-offs.

Don't be offended --

A few suggestions about the Nude adapter:

1) Would look More professional
2) Would look less "SinglePower Inspired"
3) Probably would run Cooler

Sweet Work!

What are the Specs on the adapter?

Quote:
Finished my first DIY build - EHHA.
biggrin.gif

Its a BJT build with Toshiba 2SC2238 / 2SA968.Here are a few pics:

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #1,674 of 1,823
Thanks Sachi : your encouragement & support has been invaluable.

Thanks arteom.

@ les : Not offended at all, all suggestion are welcome. Considering I didn't even know how to solder 4 months back I am just happy that the amp is running even if the workmanship looks 'SinglePoweresque'.
smile.gif

I have a custom stand-off plate on order for the adapter & will shift it once its ready.
The adapter doesn't generate much though.

Edit : Its a 12V, 1A SMPS

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #1,675 of 1,823
guru...you need to up the size of the heatinks for the output devices on the amp and also on the S22 power supply..only just noticed them now. Monitor the temperature on the heatsinks and it might be a good idea to either run the amp off of a un-interrupted power supply to avoid risking blowing the output devices when you get those power cuts
wink.gif
. And I highly recommend it in your case as you have the locking headphone jack (hate those)

You will need to use these ones

One other tweak would be to shunt the potentiometer using some takman or riken resistors depending on the value of your potentiometer. Use anywhere from 40-47k resistors for shunt modding it if its a plain ALPS blue velvet 50k pot.

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #1,677 of 1,823
Ya, I have been keeping an eye on the heatsink temperatures & they have been fine even after 6 hours of continuous running. Anyway it shouldn't be issue during the winters, I shall look into it later.

Can you point me to some detailed info on 'shunt' mod. I have alps 'blue velvet' 100k pot.

guru...you need to up the size of the heatinks for the output devices on the amp and also on the S22 power supply..only just noticed them now. Monitor the temperature on the heatsinks and it might be a good idea to either run the amp off of a un-interrupted power supply to avoid risking blowing the output devices when you get those power cuts
wink.gif
. And I highly recommend it in your case as you have the locking headphone jack (hate those)

You will need to use these ones

One other tweak would be to shunt the potentiometer using some takman or riken resistors depending on the value of your potentiometer. Use anywhere from 40-47k resistors for shunt modding it if its a plain ALPS blue velvet 50k pot.

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #1,678 of 1,823
You've come a LONG way then.  Congratulations!

Shoot a PIC back at us when you strip the PS, that would be sharp!

Quote:
@ les : Not offended at all, all suggestion are welcome. Considering I didn't even know how to solder 4 months back I am just happy that the amp is running even if the workmanship looks 'SinglePoweresque'.
smile.gif

I have a custom stand-off plate on order for the adapter & will shift it once its ready.
The adapter doesn't generate much though.

Edit : Its a 12V, 1A SMPS

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #1,680 of 1,823

Quote:
Ya, I have been keeping an eye on the heatsink temperatures & they have been fine even after 6 hours of continuous running. Anyway it shouldn't be issue during the winters, I shall look into it later.

i forget what the quiescent current of the EHHA is, but the o22 is rated for 1A continuous with the recommend heatsinks per AMB's BOM. .  i used the recommended 1.5" Avid Therm. for a +/-30V o22 powering a 3-board B22, with each board drawing 200mA.  my o22 heatsinks barely get warm.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back