Cavalli EHHA Embedded Hybrid Headphone Amp
Aug 12, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #1,623 of 1,823
Beautiful job johnwmclean!

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #1,624 of 1,823
youve outdone yourself yet again John, sexy!! I love the frosted perspex, how is that mounted behind? I might look at doing something like that for my hexateq chassis, because I need to recess the titanium knob as its quite deep and large, so looks wrong on the outside, but the case isnt really thick enough to do this, so I need to add another layer behind and mount it to the front either with countersunk hex bolts and make a feature of this, or mount it to the base and have no visible mounting holes at all

Aug 12, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #1,625 of 1,823
Crikey, thanks guys for the nice comments!

Quote:
how is that mounted behind?

Like this

The panel is 10mm thick, the large cavity hole was to bore to 7mm, the front panel bearing bush locks the perspex in place and the LED’s will be glued into the four small holes.

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #1,627 of 1,823
All 4 boards are now inline!

The amp is as quite as a church mouse, the change from going to 2 boards to 4 is profound to say the least, the power and grip has much better conviction. The bass is deep and detailed, as I’m typing I have some Ben Webster blowing his horn in the background, this is one hell of a good speaker amp.

I’ve tried the 6GM8 and the 6H30’s, to be honest I had a hard time picking between the two, if anything the 6H30 is slightly leaner whilst the 6GM8 has a little more bloom and character. The heater is a σ11 with a 60VA 15V Sumr transformer, it runs warm too hot with 4 6H30’s around 58° after half an hour (by my fluke 87V).    

I haven’t hooked up the headphone output yet, I’ll give the HD800’s a go later in the week.

The LEDs for the backlit volume have not been installed yet, the light emitting through is from the four LED’s on the boards.

Excuse this mess, it’s a work in progress at the moment, the extension shaft and final wiring are yet to be completed.

Alex you’re a legend! Thanks for your guidance, help and super quick responses. I have some smoked output resistors that have your name on them.

Sachu, I now understand your passion for this great amp, thanks for all your help. 

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #1,630 of 1,823

Quote:
All 4 boards are now inline!

The amp is as quite as a church mouse, the change from going to 2 boards to 4 is profound to say the least, the power and grip has much better conviction. The bass is deep and detailed, as I’m typing I have some Ben Webster blowing his horn in the background, this is one hell of a good speaker amp.

I’ve tried the 6GM8 and the 6H30’s, to be honest I had a hard time picking between the two, if anything the 6H30 is slightly leaner whilst the 6GM8 has a little more bloom and character. The heater is a σ11 with a 60VA 15V Sumr transformer, it runs warm too hot with 4 6H30’s around 58° after half an hour (by my fluke 87V).    

I haven’t hooked up the headphone output yet, I’ll give the HD800’s a go later in the week.

The LEDs for the backlit volume have not been installed yet, the light emitting through is from the four LED’s on the boards.

Excuse this mess, it’s a work in progress at the moment, the extension shaft and final wiring are yet to be completed.

Alex you’re a legend! Thanks for your guidance, help and super quick responses. I have some smoked output resistors that have your name on them.

Sachu, I now understand your passion for this great amp, thanks for all your help. 

I think that everyone is blown away by this build John. Maybe you could design amps for me???

And I am really happy to know that the electronics is equal to the enclosure. I especially appreciate the fact that you took a pretty big risk with only my prediction that this would make a decent speaker amp, but without a previous build to prove it. I must admit I did sweat it out a bit when you were bringing the amp up for the first time.
ph34r.gif

Most of all, I am touched in having burnt resistors named after me.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #1,632 of 1,823
I would buy this amp in a heartbeat!  Cavalli name + sexy looks, for sure!  I might of used white leds instead of blue....but that is just personal preference.  Everything about it is stellar though, nice work.  
smile.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #1,633 of 1,823
Thanks Guys.

Quote:
If it sounds as good as it looks, it will be a Beta22 beater.................

[size=medium][size=13.0px]Well...

I had a careful listen with my HD800’s for the first time last night...

The EHHA has as much detail as my balanced Beta22 and it presents music with a little more ebb and flow. The Beta22 can be analytical especially with the HD800’s, I was looking for something with a fun character that would put a different spin on my music - with the EHHA I think I’ve achieved a nice contrasting amp to my long standing reference Beta22. Both are world class performers, I’m really liking the contrast the EHHA is giving me at the moment, it’s really growing on me.
[/size]
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back