Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Feb 10, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #2,477 of 2,966
Recently bought a LCv2.  Loving the sound with my Ether C Flows, but as this is my first balanced out amp, I have a question about the 4-pin XLR socket on the LC.  Pardon my ignorance, if this is a basic concept.

I previously used a 4-pin to 1/4" adapter with my old amp, and that adapter had a locking mechanism on the top with a trigger to release the cable from the adapter.  The LC has a socket, but there is very little in the way of a lock or click when plugging in the XLR connection into the amp.   Almost as if the plug connects and then can be pushed in a little further. Unplugging is similar. I assume this is normal, as a locking connection could easily drag your amp off the table/desk if you were to stumble over your cable.  However, I did notice a pin above the socket inside the LC, so I was wondering if there should be a more pronounced click/lock feeling when inserting the cable.

is his normal behavior for the 4-pin XLR socket on the LC?

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #2,478 of 2,966
There are locking connectors and non-locking connectors.  This is one of the non-locking kinds, which is pretty standard for the headphone connection in my experience.  The level of tactile feedback you get when it settles into place tends to be dependent on the connector being used.  The Neutrik ones on the DUM cable (and many other cables) don't click but do sort of "click" into place....if you catch my meaning.  

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #2,481 of 2,966
I'm so tempted to get one of these. Do they still have the imbalance issues? I keep hearing about on the 2.0 version?

I know of no imbalance issue. 2.0 version simply has a quieter power supply, to help when connecting IEM to the single-ended output.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #2,482 of 2,966
No imbalance on mine. I've got the 1st run. It's a fun sounding amp. To try the single ended part out I hooked up my old q701s. They get virtually no play with all the planars I have around. The LC is the best pairing with them I have heard to date.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #2,484 of 2,966
Placed an order last night for the LC. Any thought on the pairing the LC with Mojo and LCD X?

I think it would sound great. Mojo is great on its own with most headphones, but LC sounds fantastic powered by Mojo and driving ZMF Vibros or HiFiMan HE-6. If you want more power, or just like the sound of the LC, Mojo is a great DAC to pair with it.

Edit: use balanced! The phase splitter works wonders from Mojo output.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #2,485 of 2,966
I think it would sound great. Mojo is great on its own with most headphones, but LC sounds fantastic powered by Mojo and driving ZMF Vibros or HiFiMan HE-6. If you want more power, or just like the sound of the LC, Mojo is a great DAC to pair with it.

Edit: use balanced! The phase splitter works wonders from Mojo output.

I just got my mojo today, let it charge all day and have now set it up on my pc where it will stay most of the time.

All I can say is jesus it sounds unreal. I am now wondering if I even bother buying a liquid carbon, I have been so close, so many times, even on the paypal pay now page and only had to hit "pay" but have backed out like 3 times now.

My ether c 1.1's are currently getting up graded to the Flow open variant, and I have pre ordered the new AEON's from Mr Speakers as well.

But if that little mojo can push my fostex trp50 mk3s to the limit which are notoriously hard headphones to drive I'm just not sure I even need the cavalli LC anymore.

Keep in mind my previous set up was a Schiit Uber stack but it sounded nothing like this, not even close. So maybe thats why I'm content as I don't know what I would be missing by not adding the cavalli LC. Lol

Man I hate decissions haha

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #2,486 of 2,966
Hello,

From the time i place my order for LIQUID CARBON 2.0 (i see that it's in final production run) in Cavalli Audio's web site, to the time they ship, is that typically in current run rate ~6 months lead time before i receive my unit?

Sorry for the double post.

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,490 of 2,966
No imbalance on mine. I've got the 1st run. It's a fun sounding amp. To try the single ended part out I hooked up my old q701s. They get virtually no play with all the planars I have around. The LC is the best pairing with them I have heard to date.

(just seeing this post)

Do your planars happen to include a ZMF Omni/Ori? How do they sound w/the LC?

I'm very interested in the LC based on things a few reviewers said about the LC being good for planars. But IMO it's a little different when a regular headphone user who isn't a reviewer chimes in w/his impressions.

I'm torn between a new LC and a used Yulong A18 (both for their balanced output--getting a balanced cable for Ori soon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back