Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jun 26, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #2,176 of 2,966
I'm sure there will be an successor/upgrade to the Gold...but will it cost even more? Stay tuned....

(TBH, I have no basis in fact or inside information that the advice is true, so I really have no reason to be sure, but I am, so there!)

SORRY TO BE OFF-TOPIC - BUT WHAT YOU'RE WONDERING ABOUT THE LAu  - it inspired me to write this lil' story about it:

Unfortunately I don't think there will be a successor to the LAu.
Lets hope the guys can pull it off!!!!

I LOVE my Cavalli LAu - it's still my FAVE reference-level headphone amp - next to my Cherished E.A.R HP4

- and Tim DeParavicini of E.A.R fame heard the Liquid Gold and HE LOVED IT!
Warren and I had to, sorta', screen for him! LAO. Older audiophile sycophants drive him CRAZY.
And he had a specific reason for checkin' it out that time::::

He told me that our friend Dan Moonwalk (also Tims US importer) told him that I said somethin' like - "I found an amplifier that I MIGHT enjoy more than my E.A.R HP4".

Well:
He listened for a fair amount of time, and spun all sorts of different stuff, got up, and walked off. Not a word.
I run to catch up to him, thinkin' he's going to swing at me or somethin' - that I was WAY OFF.

Now - Tim is one of my F____in heroes - everyone from Pink Floyd to The Beatles and Lana Del Ray have recorded their albums using Tim's equipment!

Well - he stopped, just stopped.
I kept on walking, and then, noticed he was gone. I turned around and he was just standing there. I got back to him, and said somethin' like "Tim, what's up, you're killin' me man".
He kinda half-smiled and said:

"Michael, I'm gonna have to tell Dan (Meinwald - our mutual friend who's also Tims US Importer) that he's right, and that's just terrible"
I didn't know what that meant.

He told me that I had "great ears", and he thought Harry Pearson taught me well - and that he may, after more time with the amplifier - also prefer it to his own!!!!
Now THAT'S Dope
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #2,177 of 2,966
Great story, thanks. (Of course, now I feel awful for not going for the Gold...:frowning2: )

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #2,178 of 2,966
SORRY TO BE OFF-TOPIC - BUT WHAT YOU'RE WONDERING ABOUT THE LAu  - it inspired me to write this lil' story about it:

Unfortunately I don't think there will be a successor to the LAu.
Lets hope the guys can pull it off!!!!

I LOVE my Cavalli LAu - it's still my FAVE reference-level headphone amp - next to my Cherished E.A.R HP4

- and Tim Depraving of E.A.R fame heard the Liquid Gold and HE LOVED IT!
Warren and I had to, sorta', screen for him! LAO. Older audiophile sycophants drive him CRAZY.
And he had a specific reason for checkin' it out that time::::

He told me that our friend Dan Moonwalk (also Tims US importer) told him that I said somethin' like - "I found an amplifier that I MIGHT enjoy more than my E.A.R HP4".

Well:
He listened for a fair amount of time, and spun all sorts of different stuff, got up, and walked off. Not a word.
I run to catch up to him, thinkin' he's going to swing at me or somethin' - that I was WAY OFF.

Now - Tim is one of my F____in heroes - everyone from Pink Floyd to The Beatles and Lana Del Ray have recorded their albums using Tim's equipment!

Well - he stopped, just stopped.
I kept on walking, and then, noticed he was gone. I turned around and he was just standing there. I got back to him, and said somethin' like "Tim, what's up, you're killin' me man".
He kinda half-smiled and said:

"Michael, I'm gonna have to tell Dan (Meinwald - our mutual friend who's also Tims US Importer) that he's right, and that's just terrible"
I didn't know what that meant.

He told me that I had "great ears", and he thought Harry Pearson taught me well - and that he may, after more time with the amplifier - also prefer it to his own!!!!
Now THAT'S Dope :D  

That is a great story Michael, and it a story that make me happy that I ordered a Liquid LAU. I was shocked how musical and ever so revealing the Liquid Lau is.. :)

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #2,179 of 2,966
That is a great story Michael, and it a story that make me happy that I ordered a Liquid LAU. I was shocked how musical and ever so revealing the Liquid Lau is..
smily_headphones1.gif

I was pumped to see you got one!!
That amp still BLOWS MY MIND more often than any other.

PLUS: I'm also really enjoying my Pioneer SE-A1000s (w/ @warrenpchi Mod) on the LC!!

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #2,181 of 2,966
I haven't had that issue either. I usually listen 3-4 clicks below line level from Mojo into LC, which provides vol pot range of about 10-2, depending on material, driving HE-6s. But I believe max output without clipping would be achieved with a few clicks above line out into LC, closer to 4v.

For anyone who may be using the HE-6 with their LC, I am finding that the LC does a perfectly fine job of diving the HE-6, *IF*
1) you use 3x gain
2) balanced output
3) have a high quality input source that delivers close to 4v, which will dive the LC to its max without clipping.

For #3 I've been using the Mojo, but usually lowered 3-4 clicks below line level (so taking down from about 3v to 2v). But have recently been comparing the LC to speaker amps and find that with the Mojo and raising the output 3 clicks above line level (closer to 4v), the LC does a great job with bass control, tightness, speed and overall sound quality. Certainly at this point it's about what you can afford and like from an amp, rather than a power limitation, from what I'm hearing.

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,182 of 2,966
For anyone who may be using the HE-6 with their LC, I am finding that the LC does a perfectly fine job of diving the HE-6, *IF*
1) you use 3x gain
2) balanced output
3) have a high quality input source that delivers close to 4v, which will dive the LC to its max without clipping.

For #3 I've been using the Mojo, but usually lowered 3-4 clicks below line level (so taking down from about 3v to 2v). But have recently been comparing the LC to speaker amps and find that with the Mojo and raising the output 3 clicks above line level (closer to 4v), the LC does a great job with bass control, tightness, speed and overall sound quality. Certainly at this point it's about what you can afford and like from an amp, rather than a power limitation, from what I'm hearing.

Pretty much what I found with the Pulse Infinity.

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #2,183 of 2,966
1) you use 3x gain
2) balanced output

Upon reading this note, I have started listening to my He-6 for the first time on my Metrum Hex + LC combo (w/ MacMini/Amarra).  I am listening to ALAC rips off Keith Jarrett's _At the Blue Notes_ 6-Disc set, and I am realizing that I have to crank up the volume on the LC to get to my normal listening levels, but that is to be expected, since it is the He-6 (the extent of the "cranking up" depends on the source, of course).  Besides I hear no clipping even at full volume so it is all good.

Thing I want to mention is the stunning retrieval of detail, the great extension at both ends of the sonic spectrum, the refinement of the overall presentation, the fantastic imaging, separation, and placement of instruments, the completely "black" and noiseless background, and the complete lack of any sense of harshness in the high frequencies, I could go on and on...

Oh, and there is something about this Metrum Hex + LC combo, something that seems to glue your a** to the seat of you listening station, and makes you want to continue listening and listening and listening, and forgetting everything else...  I do not know what ingredient in the sound causes this immobilization, nor do I know the proper name for it, but these two know how to cause that "voodoo," but I guess one could call it "good voodoo," as long as you do not have other business to attend to.

I have had both He-6 and the LC here for more than 7 months now, and it never occurred to me to try pairing them both, because I was thinking the LC won't have the juice--now I stand corrected, and am floored by the naiveness that inspired that thought...

Now I know that my Liquid Carbon is not going anywhere, even if I eventually end up buying the Liquid Crimson or the Liquid Gold... Yes, I have both Crimson and Gold on my wish list, and hope to acquire one of the, especially the Gold.  But even if I do, you will still have to pry my Carbon away from my cold dead hands...  Yes, my respect for this little box from the good Dr Alex keeps growing in leaps and bounds everyday...  For the price, this is a superlatively exquisite piece of craftsmanship, a tour de force of refined sonic engineering...

Okay, let me stop there before I get too carried away

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #2,184 of 2,966
Was about to upgrade from Carbon to V281 (couldn't find a 230v Gold for an affordable price) but realized it's amazing chops with my CIEMs and as a transportable unit. 

Running a transportable setup currently of Geek Out V2 Signature Edition -> Norne Therium interconnect (3.5mm TRRS balanced to 2 x 3 pin XLR balanced) -> Liquid Carbon -> Norne Therium balanced headphone cable -> JH 13 Pro Freq Phase. 

When I tried it with HE-1000 (Norne silvergarde) it sounded amazing too. 

I may still get another amp but I think the Carbon stays. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #2,185 of 2,966

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #2,187 of 2,966
My combo...audeze lcd-2f/cavalli liquid carbon/stonner accoustics EGD...I wait for my new silver poison toxic 4 pin xlr balanced cable for my audeze...my best maiting for the moment...

I love how they are similar in size.

I was scared away when I learned the EGD was USB powered.  Is that working fine for you?  Or have you added a USB powered hub or Schiit Wyrd or the likes to the chain?

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2,188 of 2,966

I was scared away when I learned the EGD was USB powered.  Is that working fine for you?  Or have you added a USB powered hub or Schiit Wyrd or the likes to the chain?

I had this same combo. The Wyrd did not work for me. USB sounded really good. I wish I could have kept it as my bedside rig, but wasn't possible at the time.

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #2,190 of 2,966

I'm honest man and i can say usb sounded really good...you can take any usb cable,I board not found any difference between several cable testing of different quality ... well anything that will deserve the purchase of an expensive high- end cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back