Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jan 12, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #1,292 of 2,966
So has everyone got their LCs?

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,295 of 2,966
  Well, the good news is that I like the Carbon so much I bought a Crimson, and have kept the Carbon.  The bad news, is that it will likely cost me a Bimby or a Mojo or something to make a downstairs rig with the Carbon.....

Congrats! If you go with the Mojo you'll also have a good portable option. Cheers 

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #1,296 of 2,966
  Well, the good news is that I like the Carbon so much I bought a Crimson, and have kept the Carbon.  The bad news, is that it will likely cost me a Bimby or a Mojo or something to make a downstairs rig with the Carbon.....

It is a slippery-ass slope!  Let me know which you get and what you think.  I'll probably need a nice DAC to pair with the LC (right now it's using the passthrough from the Crimson) at some point.  Having a nice portable option is certainly appealing but going back to D-S... I dunno...

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #1,297 of 2,966

It is a slippery-ass slope!  Let me know which you get and what you think.  I'll probably need a nice DAC to pair with the LC (right now it's using the passthrough from the Crimson) at some point.  Having a nice portable option is certainly appealing but going back to D-S... I dunno...

I hear you Dan, but Rob Watt's FPGA approach to DAC's is a wee bit different from the DS stuff you typically regurgitate over (still love your DS t-shirt though)

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #1,298 of 2,966

I've been enjoying it with the Bimby quite a bit. It's a pretty impressive device. It definitely exceeded my expectations. Wouldn't mind trying the Mojo, given how much people have been buzzing about it. That would be a fun shootout.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #1,299 of 2,966
How were you listening before?

Before the burn in? So far it was perfect. No hiss, no hum, no channel imbalance, pitch black background. Soundstage was decent and tonality was very real like the actual instruments themselves. It's all like what you said except for the soundstage. BUT... after the burn in it opened up significantly and so far, I'm enjoying every moment of it!

Soundstage now is wider than the first time and everything seems to come alive. This is one heck of an amp! I'm so glad I purchased it and very happy with cavalli house sound. Thanks Dan for all the guidance and help you provided not only for me but I bet, for a lot of people here in this thread.

Now, on to some more critical listening!

Cheers!

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #1,300 of 2,966
mine is still burning in :p  but even out from the box it sounded very nice :D   

will finish its 150 hours on Tuesday. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #1,301 of 2,966
Wow, I guess the Alpha Primes need a lot more juice than the Alpha Dogs (AD's). Are your Primes balanced or single ended? My AD's are balanced and I listen between 10-12 o'clock at 1x gain with the LC. I do have to be careful with the LC as it does not impart any distortion which makes me want to listen a little louder than I would normally to just get immersed in audio nirvana!

I run them balanced.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,302 of 2,966
Here is another impression. If I had to go through the whole process of purchasing the LC again, the waiting, the gritching , the emotional up and down. (That's right! Everyone's emotions are on full display here on Head-fi. Everyone who just got their amp, breath a big sigh of relief) I would do it again in a heartbeat. What fun! What an amp! I do not think he has gotten enough of these -->Thank you Dr. Alex for all your hard work providing us these wonderful Liquid Carbon headphone amplifiers. Mine will provide me with decades of listening pleasure both at home and away. Thank you.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,303 of 2,966
Here is another impression. If I had to go through the whole process of purchasing the LC again, the waiting, the gritching , the emotional up and down. (That's right! Everyone's emotions are on full display here on Head-fi. Everyone who just got their amp, breath a big sigh of relief) I would do it again in a heartbeat. What fun! What an amp! I do not think he has gotten enough of these -->Thank you Dr. Alex for all your hard work providing us these wonderful Liquid Carbon headphone amplifiers. Mine will provide me with decades of listening pleasure both at home and away. Thank you.

+1 on this, though my ups and downs were just the wait since April.  My Ak120ii>LC>Ether C combo is sublime...  And neither the amp or the headphones are by definition broken in yet...

Now I just need to find more music to listen to and resist the temptation of the Bifrost Multibit...  The Ak120ii is good enough, the Ak120ii is good enough, OOMMMMM....

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #1,304 of 2,966
what is the best way to burn the LC in ......can you just leave it on o do you have to be playing music through it?

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #1,305 of 2,966

+1 on this, though my ups and downs were just the wait since April.  My Ak120ii>LC>Ether C combo is sublime...  And neither the amp or the headphones are by definition broken in yet...

Now I just need to find more music to listen to and resist the temptation of the Bifrost Multibit...  The Ak120ii is good enough, the Ak120ii is good enough, OOMMMMM....

By definition, Audiophilia Nervosa means, "it's NEVER good enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back