Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jan 8, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #1,171 of 2,966
In the end, the LC is like upgrading to an entry-level BMW after being perfectly happy with Hondas. 

Yes, it's great, yes, I am enjoying it immensely. 

BUT....I can also see (hear?) what's missing. I can see what the sound must be like when the "Cavalli sound" (or any great amp maker) isn't being severely limited by budget. 

So, I am ambivalent. It is a great amp, well worth the money, but it also makes me acutely aware of what it is not. Maybe I'm just being difficult. 
cool.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #1,173 of 2,966
Serial 319 has landed! So far no hum or channel imbalances from initial listening. Will have to call in sick today to listen and enjoy this long waited amp for the entire day! All headphones ready, balanced cables ready, dacs ready, music ready! Will be testing everything and any combinations with it. Burn baby burn!!!
biggrin.gif

Did you end up purchasing the Teac UD 301? I been pairing that balanced with the LC, crazy amazing freaken good man. LOL 

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #1,174 of 2,966
Serial 319 has landed! So far no hum or channel imbalances from initial listening. Will have to call in sick today to listen and enjoy this long waited amp for the entire day! All headphones ready, balanced cables ready, dacs ready, music ready! Will be testing everything and any combinations with it. Burn baby burn!!!
biggrin.gif

nice! mine is serial 102. we almost have the same gears. LCD 2 rev 2 and alphadogs and a chord hugo on mine...how you liking it so far?

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #1,175 of 2,966
Try lowering down the volume until you reach zero. See if the sound disappears together or if one side goes out first than the other side. That would clearly indicate a channel imbalance.

It's hard to decipher channel imbalance while listening to music on normal listening volume as there's a lot of factors that could deviate our listening "center" (imaging). Our ears aren't "volume matched" perfectly so there's some deviations here and there.

Now, if the volume pot is in zero position and you can still hear something on one side and none on the other, then it's channel imbalance indeed.

I hope that helps. Cheers!

Tried this :) Black background when zero position and both sides come at the same time. 

Looks like it's the staging; tried to listen to my DAP and IEM to take note (writing it down!) of the staging to see where all the instruments are and it seems that it is the same as from LC. 

I guess it probably means that the staging and imaging of my Audeze LCD-3 is getting more obvious, good news I hope ! 

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #1,176 of 2,966
  nice! mine is serial 102. we almost have the same gears. LCD 2 rev 2 and alphadogs and a chord hugo on mine...how you liking it so far?

What volume levels are you using on the Hugo & LC and PC/Mac?

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #1,177 of 2,966
Did you end up purchasing the Teac UD 301? I been pairing that balanced with the LC, crazy amazing freaken good man. LOL 

Hey, Ying! Wow man you have good memory! Yes I was planning and still planning to purchase the teac ud301 for balance pairing to the LC. I'm just waiting for it to arrive at my local shop here as they have the ud501. Glad to know you're liking that pairing! Makes me wonder with excitement. :D

Thanks man!

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #1,178 of 2,966

Hey, nanoevil! It's great! So far on its 48 hours burn in now and I'm enjoying the metamorphosis. It's l blossoming gradually into an amazingly beautiful flower opening up and getting more refined day by day. I like the mojo+LC very much and it sounds wonderful on all my headphones. Very transparent and powerful. I can only imagine how wonderful It is sounding from your setup (hugo).

How's your setup sounds like? Liking it?

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #1,179 of 2,966
Tried this :) Black background when zero position and both sides come at the same time. 

Looks like it's the staging; tried to listen to my DAP and IEM to take note (writing it down!) of the staging to see where all the instruments are and it seems that it is the same as from LC. 

I guess it probably means that the staging and imaging of my Audeze LCD-3 is getting more obvious, good news I hope ! 

Very good! It's good news. It means your LC doesn't have channel imbalance :) what source do you feed to your LC?

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #1,180 of 2,966
Very good! It's good news. It means your LC doesn't have channel imbalance
smily_headphones1.gif
what source do you feed to your LC?

mac -> chord hugo -> LC ! 

I hope it's good news indeed, will monitor the situation haha. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #1,181 of 2,966
On 1x gain and volume pot on zero I get no sound but when I do the same with x3 gain I hear the music very slightly. Is this normal? This is single-ended by the way. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #1,182 of 2,966
mac -> chord hugo -> LC ! 

I hope it's good news indeed, will monitor the situation haha. 

Nice setup! It's sounds wonderful with my mojo, I bet it sounds amazing with the hugo! :)

Keep on monitoring an observing using various setup and music genre's. In my situation I find that my center is off a bit to the left of center in whatever setup I'm using. Found out that I have a very minor hearing sensitivity depression on my right ear that's deviating the soundstage to my left (because my left ear is more sensitive than my right).

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #1,183 of 2,966
  On 1x gain and volume pot on zero I get no sound but when I do the same with x3 gain I hear the music very slightly. Is this normal? This is single-ended by the way. 

For small volume potentiometers, bleed through (a channel imbalance) at the minimum and maximum positions are common. I was told by Dr. Cavalli and other knowledgible people that as long as the channel imbalance disappears quickly than it is in spec.

Bleed through only on 3x gain is performing better than my original board. If you don't want to take millivolt readings and calculate dB based on your headphones, you can use the Philips Golden Ear challenge, which has channel imbalance tests in the Bronze Ear section. Also, the brain is notorious for "fixing" minor balance issue by compensating when processing the sound. It takes time for the brain to be retrain, hence "brain burn-in".

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #1,184 of 2,966
  For small volume potentiometers, bleed through (a channel imbalance) at the minimum and maximum positions are common. I was told by Dr. Cavalli and other knowledgible people that as long as the channel imbalance disappears quickly than it is in spec.

Bleed through only on 3x gain is performing better than my original board. If you don't want to take millivolt readings and calculate dB based on your headphones, you can use the Philips Golden Ear challenge, which has channel imbalance tests in the Bronze Ear section. Also, the brain is notorious for "fixing" minor balance issue by compensating when processing the sound. It takes time for the brain to be retrain, hence "brain burn-in".

It's weird though. I tried the same test on here http://www.soundliaison.com/studio-masters/208-carmen-gomes-inc-little-blue and had no bleed through on 3x gain. The first test was done on Window Media Player with one of my CD's. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #1,185 of 2,966
Nice setup! It's sounds wonderful with my mojo, I bet it sounds amazing with the hugo!
smily_headphones1.gif

Keep on monitoring an observing using various setup and music genre's. In my situation I find that my center is off a bit to the left of center in whatever setup I'm using. Found out that I have a very minor hearing sensitivity depression on my right ear that's deviating the soundstage to my left (because my left ear is more sensitive than my right).

Yes it does ! 

Previously I was listening directly from the Hugo, and when I was A/B-ing between connecting to the LC vs the Hugo directly, the change in the sound stage is phenomenal. 

But I'm waiting for my Yggy !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back