Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jan 8, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #1,187 of 2,966
In order to drive my Alpha Primes efficiently the volume pot floats between 12 - 2 o'clock at 3x gain. I am not experiencing any channel imbalance on mine.

That was my experience for the first 2 weeks. Now I have the volume below 12:00 at 3x gain, and about 3:00 in 1x gain.

Burn in? Acclimating to it? Not sure....

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #1,188 of 2,966
So what is the LC not doing so well?

It's got great macrodynamics/fun/engagement, but I can see how there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of clarity/coherence/refinement.

Just a guess because I haven't heard the rest of the Cavalli lineup, but I can imagine that throwing a few more thousand dollars at the problem would go really far. :)

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #1,190 of 2,966
That was my experience for the first 2 weeks. Now I have the volume below 12:00 at 3x gain, and about 3:00 in 1x gain.

Burn in? Acclimating to it? Not sure....

Maybe my Hugo gives really a really hot signal, but at 3X with my Primes I'm at about 9:00. 

One more thing, not all recordings are at the same volume, especially pre-loudness war stuff. Lots of variables in this here hobby!

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #1,191 of 2,966

It's got great macrodynamics/fun/engagement, but I can see how there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of clarity/coherence/refinement.

Just a guess because I haven't heard the rest of the Cavalli lineup, but I can imagine that throwing a few more thousand dollars at the problem would go really far. :)

Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps you can let the amp run for a few more days. Things may improve :)

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #1,192 of 2,966
  Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps you can let the amp run for a few more days. Things may improve :)

I think it's got close to 200 hours on it, so I doubt it. 

Again, I really like it. It's a great amp, and a fantastic one for the price. But even though an entry level "cheap" BMW is still a really nice car compared to the Hondas, it still can't compete with the cars that everybody thinks of when they think of BMWs. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,193 of 2,966

Initial impressions with only 60 hours of burn in, but I do find the LC (fed by iPhone -> Mojo) to be extremely refined in sound, even on grungy stuff, which may be some of what you are hearing, or rather not hearing. More detail and less distortion?

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,195 of 2,966
I would recomend you to use Foobar2000 instead of Windows Media Player.
wink.gif

Cheers

Yeah I'm planning to install that with ASIO driver since Windows Player isn't the best. I'll probably also do some other custom tweaks on top of that. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #1,196 of 2,966
Received my Carbon today. I asked for a delay myself because of work abroad. I also ordered a Stoner Acoustics EGD DAC. Arrived at the same moment by accident. Seemed like a good match based in the specs. Also full balanced. In fact; the EGD only has xlr-outputs which might be a problem for some people. But not with a Carbon! Also roughly the same size, weight and look. Transportable, USB powered (only input), 16/24/32bit or DSD capable, ESS Sabre9018 based etc.

Did not want to wait for the burn-in so listening (actually ENJOYING) both of them right now with my Ether headphones! Sounds like a really like a good match. First impressions: nothing exeggarated of held beck. Really good, neutral but definitely not dull, pleasant, very very very well controlled, detailled sound! Already hearing details I never heard before. Again; not listening but enjoying!

More then enough power for the Ether by the way. Listening quite loud and the volume knob is only at 9.00 (gain at 1x setting).

Scanspeakman

Same setup in the bedroom. Currently mostly use Oppo PM3 since they're my only closed phones, but I'm considering the Ether C or possibly the new T5s coming out as upgrades. When I have a chance and alone I use Senn 650s and loving the sound. My previous setup was a Dragonfly.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #1,198 of 2,966
In order to drive my Alpha Primes efficiently the volume pot floats between 12 - 2 o'clock at 3x gain. I am not experiencing any channel imbalance on mine.

Wow, I guess the Alpha Primes need a lot more juice than the Alpha Dogs (AD's). Are your Primes balanced or single ended? My AD's are balanced and I listen between 10-12 o'clock at 1x gain with the LC. I do have to be careful with the LC as it does not impart any distortion which makes me want to listen a little louder than I would normally to just get immersed in audio nirvana!

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #1,199 of 2,966
For headphones like the HD650 that aren't (relatively) hard to drive, should using 1x gain with higher volume vs. 3x gain with lower volume make a difference?  I haven't experimented much, but seem to slightly prefer 3x gain with low volume seems as it seems to provide more punch, but could all be in my mind.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,200 of 2,966
  For headphones like the HD650 that aren't (relatively) hard to drive, should using 1x gain with higher volume vs. 3x gain with lower volume make a difference?  I haven't experimented much, but seem to slightly prefer 3x gain with low volume seems as it seems to provide more punch, but could all be in my mind.

This is an interesting question. Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back