Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 20, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #721 of 2,966
Weird, I'm in CA and that's where I've heard folks say the shipments originated from. My FEDEX notice said my LC is shipping from Texas LOL. I did order late so maybe Alex is sending me is own personal one since it's sold out! My memories of listening to the LC with my T5P are starting to come back, but also want to try the LC with Laylas which I didn't have back at the SF Meet. Already have my TRRS to XLR balanced adapter on the ready! As for DACs, I will be connecting it to my Bifrost MB and Mojo so will report back on impressions in early Jan after my vacation and burn in. Headphones will be T5P, Ether C, and Laylas.

Happy holidays all!

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #722 of 2,966
They all came from CA but the return address is TX. Watch the tracking to see where it starts.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #723 of 2,966
  So this is my first impression of the LC.

My current set up is:

Teac UD 301 

Liquid Carbon

Senn HD800

Furutech XLR Cable (DIY)  Using FA-220 Balanced OCC cable and FP-601(G) XLR Plug (cost around $500 CAD for materials)

Generic Sony RCA cable from my PlayStation 1 

Under 80 hours of burn in. 

Did not do A/B testing yet with my Bottlehead Crack and Teac UD301 built in AMP

The first day I got the LC I was super excited to plug it in and listen to it. I wasn't expecting anything big because when I purchase the Bottlehead crack (haven't installed the Speedball yet) I didn't see a huge improvement in sound. The crack did tame down the highs on my HD 800 but I thought it was no where near how people described it. (this is my opinion, as we know everyone has their own when it comes to headphone gear etc..)  

I started up my LC and the first thing I felt was how the sound stage was wider I was so surprised as I thought that nothing could really improve the HD 800 sound stage. I also felt that everything in the music was a lot more detailed. I felt like I purchased a upgraded DAC. The details were very noticeable made everything sound a lot more real in life. Also I felt that my HD 800 highs were more acceptable, I never thought the HD800 trebles were piercing. It felt like increased in resolution but kept the highs at a very good level. (Keep in mind I was using my Generic Sony RCA cable) I didn't put it through balance mode. 

The next couple days I was able to build myself a balanced cable using all Furutech parts, using the FA-220 cables and the FP 601 plugs. I tried them with my new XLR interconnects and in balanced mode. All I can say is wow even bigger improvement in the soundstage and details. This is a lot more obvious when you listen to LIVE music. (I am not good with headfi terminology so it hard to describe everything I felt I heard) I am not sure if the improvement was from the balanced mode, but I think pretty sure it from my new XLR cables. (I have tired other furutech products and I believe that their stuff is quality meaning you can hear a difference with their cables) 

Just want to let you guys know about bit of background, I am not particularly good at hearing differences in music unless it is pretty obvious, for example if you ask me to find the difference between a 320 mp3 or flac I would have a difficult time etc.. Also for the bottlehead crack took me a while to see a small amount of difference but no where near how others report. So just for a heads up if I can hear these differences I would think it would be pretty obvious to others. (just an opinion) 

Anyways I am really enjoying the Liquid Carbon and can't wait until the 150 hour burn in is over. I feel like this is a great pairing with my Senn HD800. 

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Great impressions.  Anyone have both LC and Valhalla 2 with their HD800?  Would also welcome comparisons. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #724 of 2,966

Loving this amp so far, only 24 hours into burn-in and it sounds fantastic.

Right now using iPhone w/ CCK->iFi Micro RCA->LC, using HD 650s w/ balanced cable made by a headfier.  I've previously been using the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball with Tung Sol 5998 and Telefunken ECC82/12au7 tubes.  

Have not A/B'd it to the Crack but initial impression is that the LC is much better despite the popularity of the Crack/HD650 and my personal liking of that pairing.

eek.gif
  Wow, really?  That's unexpected for sure.

I haven't heard a Crack + Speedball + HD 650 rig in ages, but I remember it being pretty darned awesome... awesome to the point that I've been recommending that people just stay with that for their HD 650 over spending money on a new amp (including the Carbon).

Maybe I should build a Crack over the winter break and A/B for curiosity's sake.  These brutal 50˚ winters here in SoCal keep up all indoors for hours, and sometimes days, on end.

yeah Im surprised at that too. But this is the second report of the likes. Someone sold off the most beautiful crack and speedball I have seen here yet after receiving their carbon. A bit shocking honestly. 

Reports elsewhere mention this as an amp that has great macrodynamics, smooth somewhat dark treble, and a black background. A lot of engagement factor. Mine will be here tomorrow. Those reports give me hopes. 

Hmm, okay, I'm definitely going to have to A/B the two before I say anything more then.  Thanks for the heads-up guys!  
smile.gif

You guys sure aren't making the waiting easy 
wink.gif

Why?  Do you have an HD 650?  Lol, omg, you have an HD 650!  HAHAHA!  
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #725 of 2,966
Code:
Hmm, okay, I'm definitely going to have to A/B the two before I say anything more then.  Thanks for the heads-up guys!  :smile:

Why?  Do you have an HD 650?  Lol, omg, you have an HD 650!  HAHAHA!  :D

I very much like to hear the HD 650, I hear its a superb mid-range headphones. It seems to me the HD 650 would be a great office headphone, but they might leak to much sound and annoy ones office mates.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #726 of 2,966

Snake oil at it's finest. 

Isolators are great for certain audio components.  The ones with moving parts...

The Liquid Carbon is so light, I'm already tugging that thing around with my headphone cable.  I could only imagine how much more "slippery" those feet could make it.  I think silicone feet are in my future.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #727 of 2,966
  Code:
Code:

I very much like to hear the HD 650, I hear its a superb mid-range headphones. It seems to me the HD 650 would be a great office headphone, but they might leak to much sound and annoy ones office mates.

The mids are really something special on the 650. And this headphone has great ability to scale with better gear. They have been selling them NIB recently for as low as $300 and they are simply one of the best buys I've made in audio. 

I'm running balanced from Gumby to LC to 650 and it's hard to believe how good it is. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #728 of 2,966

Why?  Do you have an HD 650?  Lol, omg, you have an HD 650!  HAHAHA!  
biggrin.gif

blink.gif

The mids are really something special on the 650. And this headphone has great ability to scale with better gear. They have been selling them NIB recently for as low as $300 and they are simply one of the best buys I've made in audio. 

I'm running balanced from Gumby to LC to 650 and it's hard to believe how good it is. 

Same setup - I found it initially to be subtle, but hard to turn away from. It's quite good 
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #729 of 2,966
Isolators are great for certain audio components.  The ones with moving parts...

The Liquid Carbon is so light, I'm already tugging that thing around with my headphone cable.  I could only imagine how much more "slippery" those feet could make it.  I think silicone feet are in my future.

Silicone underneath and some type of weight on top keeps it from sliding around. Cheers

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #730 of 2,966
Impression Part 2

The gear I used is the same as Part 1 of my Impression

Only difference is I am using my IEM Etymotic ER4PT

From last times impression I been using the HD800 single ended, this time I am using my iems, ety er4pt attached with the p to s adapter. The er4 are one of the iems that are known to have a smaller soundstage but with extreme accurate details. I always loves how detail and accurate the sound of the er4's were but on the other hand I always wished for a larger soundstage or a bit more. Today I finally found the answer to this problem. The Liquid carbon with my DIY XLR furutech cables and connectors. When I plugged my ER4 I felt that the soundstage has been improve, a lot more wider and clearer now. Before when I would switch been my HD800 and my er4 I wasn't really able to listen to my er4 because of the lack of soundstage. But now it isn't as bad and now i am really able to enjoy my er4 with the liquid carbon. 

If anyone has the HD800 and the ER4 please also share your impression. 

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!! 
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #731 of 2,966
  I haven't heard a Crack + Speedball + HD 650 rig in ages, but I remember it being pretty darned awesome... awesome to the point that I've been recommending that people just stay with that for their HD 650 over spending money on a new amp (including the Carbon)….

Is the Crack really that decent?

I arbitrarily just bought one for my son for Christmas, for us to do a Father/Son build. He's got  DT880-600 from way back when, and I figured that he would have something dusty and "audio-related" to remember me after I'm long gone. 
cool.gif
 I want to be able to tell his Beats-ownin' friends that his dad bought him some crack to have fun with.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #732 of 2,966

I arbitrarily just bought one for my son for Christmas, for us to do a Father/Son build. He's got  DT880-600 from way back when, and I figured that he would have something dusty and "audio-related" to remember me after I'm long gone. :cool:  I want to be able to tell his Beats-ownin' friends that his dad bought him some crack to have fun with.

I didn't think the crack was that good. I haven't installed the speedball upgrade yet. what your impression vs the LC?

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #733 of 2,966

I arbitrarily just bought one for my son for Christmas, for us to do a Father/Son build. He's got  DT880-600 from way back when, and I figured that he would have something dusty and "audio-related" to remember me after I'm long gone. 
cool.gif
 I want to be able to tell his Beats-ownin' friends that his dad bought him some crack to have fun with.

The Crack is fine, and Speedball helps.  Just temper your expectations.  People really rave about it, and it makes you expect steak.  But its just hamburger, though a good burger is nothing to sneeze at...

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #734 of 2,966
  Loving this amp so far, only 24 hours into burn-in and it sounds fantastic.

Right now using iPhone w/ CCK->iFi Micro RCA->LC, using HD 650s w/ balanced cable made by a headfier.  I've previously been using the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball with Tung Sol 5998 and Telefunken ECC82/12au7 tubes.  

Have not A/B'd it to the Crack but initial impression is that the LC is much better despite the popularity of the Crack/HD650 and my personal liking of that pairing.  I generally use a laptop>iFi Micro but doing the burn-in at my office so using iPhone for now (work computer doesnt let me install the iFi firmware).  On the Crack, playing FLAC on laptop w/ Jriver is noticeably better than using iPhone (Tidal lossless saved offline), so if that holds true for the LC I will be even more happy.  Using a $70 Pangea power cord for the LC, just use a thick monoprice cable for the Crack, but would be surprised if that noticeably affects the SQ.  If not, I may get rid of the Pangea cord as it's a little stiff/bulky for how small and light the LC is.

As has been mentioned, LC has an incredible black background.  Played a Grateful Dead Dick's Picks official release that is not a great quality recording and has some hiss, and that hiss was vastly diminished on the LC, didn't think that could happen.  Good recordings obviously sound that much better.

Amp is powerful.. I briefly tried HD650 using the balanced cable with a SE adapter and was surprised at how good that sounded.  Volume was obviously significantly lower at same setting, but moving up to 3x gain with volume just below 12:00 it became plenty loud and didn't notice nearly the drop in SQ I expected, though I didn't listen to SE long (got the balanced cable for a reason), was just curious.

Incredible clarity and transparency, though very musical, not at all sterile.  Instrument separation/imaging is great, heard nuances I've never heard before on recordings I've listened to a lot of times. As has been mentioned, soundstage is wonderfully deep.  Bass seems much more detailed and stronger than the Crack, without overpowering the HD650 mids.

Given that I'm only 24 hours into burn-in and playing files off iPhone, it's possible that the LC will end up sounding even better, but I will be pleasantly surprised if that happens as I'm thrilled with how great it sounds right now. 

How would you compare LC with iFi Micro? Is it better than Micro? In what ways is it better or worse?

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #735 of 2,966
Was not too impressed with the crack even with the speed ball. Definitely better amps for the HD650 and HD800's out there. LC being one of them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back