Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 18, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #646 of 2,966
Posted this in the other thread, but that seems to be mostly about shipping, so:

Serial #258 landed and burning in. However, anyone else having serious channel imbalance? Below 9 o'clock very bad and right channel will not go to zero, while left channel does. Always can hear the right channel on 1x and 3x output. Pretty sure that's not in the range of acceptable? Hate to send it away because it sounds so good as is now!

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #647 of 2,966
Oh, it has plenty of power. I need to spend more time with it and a non-Anax-modded HD800 to give any sort of meaningful impressions... But it drives them quite well, in my experience.

i heard that cavali audio offer better warm mids and nicer on the female vocals when compared to audio gd

even if you didn't try to the audio-gd, how do you find the mids so far and the female vocals on this amp? 

man waiting for me to get shipped :' )

Mine is still on the way. I spent some time with the prepro version and the HD800, but at this point, it's been way too long to offer detailed impressions on any aspect. I remember it was smoother, sweeter and had better control with the HD800 than most amps... Especially solid states under $1k.

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #648 of 2,966
Posted this in the other thread, but that seems to be mostly about shipping, so:

Serial #258 landed and burning in. However, anyone else having serious channel imbalance? Below 9 o'clock very bad and right channel will not go to zero, while left channel does. Always can hear the right channel on 1x and 3x output. Pretty sure that's not in the range of acceptable? Hate to send it away because it sounds so good as is now!

No, you shouldn't be getting that.  I'd recommend emailing Dr. Cavalli about it.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #649 of 2,966

Hopefully they are doing some good QC of the pot. It could be something else though. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #650 of 2,966
Hopefully they are doing some good QC of the pot. It could be something else though. 

Thanks, guys, that's what I thought. I'm pretty sure it's the pot, but will email Alex. Probably keep it through burn in and the new year to listen if possible, then ship it over if he's ok with that. Just wanted to verify I'm not being too picky (but never had that before with an amp or preamp).

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #651 of 2,966
Mine is still on the way. I spent some time with the prepro version and the HD800, but at this point, it's been way too long to offer detailed impressions on any aspect. I remember it was smoother, sweeter and had better control with the HD800 than most amps... Especially solid states under $1k.

but is it so worth me buying/adding HD800 to the collection? i use CIEMs and LCD-2 Fazor. 

i love the LCD2's mids a lot , if the amp already got nice mids and hint of warmth, then i hope i will love the HD800 later. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #652 of 2,966
  but is it so worth me buying/adding HD800 to the collection? i use CIEMs and LCD-2 Fazor. 

i love the LCD2's mids a lot , if the amp already got nice mids and hint of warmth, then i hope i will love the HD800 later. 

There are plenty of awesome headphones in that price range that are worth adding to the collection and sound good on the LC:  HD800, Ether, Ether C, Dharma, Edition X, LCD-X, etc.  I'd suggest picking the one that suits your preferences best.  The amp is pretty transparent so don't expect it to make a headphone sound like anything but itself.  The HD800 is still going to be bright and analytical, it just won't be overly bright like it can be with a bad pairing.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #653 of 2,966
  i heard that cavali audio offer better warm mids and nicer on the female vocals when compared to audio gd

even if you didn't try to the audio-gd, how do you find the mids so far and the female vocals on this amp? 

man waiting for me to get shipped :' )

I'll be getting the LC by New Year's and I'll be able to chime on that with my audio-gd SA31 sitting next to me. That should be one of a-gd's warmer offerings :}

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #654 of 2,966
  Hey all,

I just received my Liquid Carbon about two days ago (helps to be located in California - it only took one day of shipping to get here), and I wanted to share some first impressions.

To begin, I've had it playing for about 30 hours so far. At this point, I've paired it up with my NuForce UDH-100 (has an AKM 4390 DAC chip) and my FiiO E10K (TI PCM5102 DAC chip) through each of their line-outs. Through the balanced mode, I've listened to my Hifiman HE-400i, HE-1000, and Sennheiser HD700. Through the single ended out, I've listened to my self-modded Fostex T50RP and my Etymotic ER4PT (with a P-to-S converter that transforms it into the ER4S).

Some notes:

- Runs kind of warm - even in cold winter weather. If it runs this warm now, oh boy I can't wait to see how hot it will get during California summers.

- The balanced out is really powerful. Even when listening to the HE1000 I don't think I've need to crank the volume knob beyond 12 o'clock. (Although I am a somewhat quiet listener.)

- Drives every headphone I own with absolute authority, with perhaps the exception of the HE1000 - and that's only because I've heard the HE1000 on extremely expensive setups, like with Hifiman's crazy tube headphone and speaker amp (EF-1000).

- Single-ended headphone out is no slouch (drove my modded T50RP, which is far from being the most efficient thing, pretty well.) And you get the basic qualities of the LC. But I think it's also far from what the amp is fully capable of, though I will have to do further testing on some of my headphones to confirm this.

- Single-ended out is pretty clean in terms of not having noise. At least, I couldn't any humming or anything with my ER4PT IEMs plugged in, with the music paused and the volume knob turned all the way to max on 1x gain.

- The bass really kicks on this amp. That was the first thing I noticed when listening to my balanced headphones. Heck, I didn't even know the HD700 was capable of that kind of bass.

- Even with the strong bass, I still feel that the LC overall has a neutral sound signature. Bass is strong, but mids are still very prominent and the treble doesn't sound rolled off to me. It won't transform any headphone into something different (for example, it didn't change my ER4PT into anything close to a bass monster)

- Really clean sounding, really transparent amp. I don't know what kind of magic Alex Cavalli has done here, but somehow the amp has even made my HD700 more enjoyable and less annoying to listen to. Sure, the HD700 has treble peaks, but they are only annoying in that they are present and not that those peaks also sound harsh, if I'm making any sense here.

- On the topic of transparency, if different DACs sound different, it will show up fairly obviously on the LC.

- The soundstage is really a highlight on the LC. Fairly wide soundstage, but what's really impressive is the depth. Extremely deep soundstage, but it doesn't sound incoherent or at odds with the width.

- Separation, imaging (distinguishing sounds from left to right), and layering (distinguishing sounds closer and further away) are also things that really impressed me. The really black background allows sounds to become ridiculously easy to distinguish from each other without sounding incoherent. This is both in terms of separation and imaging. Seriously, the amp made all the difference with my 400i - I honestly never knew that it could image and layer that well. Same with the HD700 - the LC gives it such a 3D soundstage that I was seriously in awe for almost all of the music I listened to.

In summary, I really like this amp. Absolutely worth every cent of the $600 I paid for it. And it's probably worth more than that.

Great job Alex!

Amazing impressions! 
beerchug.gif

Could you comment a bit more on how it sounds with the HE1000s?
Thank you :3

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #655 of 2,966

There are plenty of awesome headphones in that price range that are worth adding to the collection and sound good on the LC:  HD800, Ether, Ether C, Dharma, Edition X, LCD-X, etc.  I'd suggest picking the one that suits your preferences best.  The amp is pretty transparent so don't expect it to make a headphone sound like anything but itself.  The HD800 is still going to be bright and analytical, it just won't be overly bright like it can be with a bad pairing.

Yeah, I mean that's really up to you. I found it very good for driving the HD800 and I'm looking forward to spending more time with it. @Stillhart makes a very good point here - there is a ton of competition in the $1,500 price bracket right now. Really, you have a stellar option of every flavor right now, and they pretty much all pair well with the LC.

If you want some more in-depth impressions of the HD800/LC pairing, I will undoubtedly be posting a bunch of impressions in a couple of weeks once the amp arrives and gets a little burn-in time. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #656 of 2,966

Yeah, I mean that's really up to you. I found it very good for driving the HD800 and I'm looking forward to spending more time with it. @Stillhart makes a very good point here - there is a ton of competition in the $1,500 price bracket right now. Really, you have a stellar option of every flavor right now, and they pretty much all pair well with the LC.

If you want some more in-depth impressions of the HD800/LC pairing, I will undoubtedly be posting a bunch of impressions in a couple of weeks once the amp arrives and gets a little burn-in time. 

Thanks in advance :p  

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #657 of 2,966
My turn...

I took delivery about 30 minutes ago.  I thanked the Fedex driver profusely and sincerely for working late to get my and my neighborhoods' packages to us. He probably has family he could be with, and he's probably working his butt off to make us all at least content. Nice guy, and in a hurry...

I let it warm up, and it took 10 minutes to feel it.  

As I have read, I am very surprised at how light it is, especially compared to the solid block of aluminum that is my Burson.

One thing to note: I've moved like 3 times since July, and I cannot find my balanced Pyst cables, so I have SE Pyst coming out of the Benchmark.  I have a  Norn Solv X balanced cable for my Alpha Primes.  Only 1 song so far, "Routine" off of Steve Wilson's Hand.Cannot.Erase.

First, and I mean FIRST impression: wow, that's so smooth, so clear, so pure.  Liquid indeed!

So, I officially turn in my Objectivist card.  That perspective has taken a serious pounding over the past 3 months, and this is the final straw. The micro detail, the depth and width of the soundstage, the absolute clarity and joy of the recording.  I'll do a head-to-head with the Burson, but running SE will seriously throttle the LC. I predict in balanced mode: no contest.  Too much power under that hood, especially once I get the full voltage out of the Benchmark with XLR's.

To all you still waiting- yeah, it's probably worth it!  Now I'm going to go disappear for a few hours...

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #659 of 2,966
  My turn...

I took delivery about 30 minutes ago.  I thanked the Fedex driver profusely and sincerely for working late to get my and my neighborhoods' packages to us. He probably has family he could be with, and he's probably working his butt off to make us all at least content. Nice guy, and in a hurry...

I let it warm up, and it took 10 minutes to feel it.  

As I have read, I am very surprised at how light it is, especially compared to the solid block of aluminum that is my Burson.

One thing to note: I've moved like 3 times since July, and I cannot find my balanced Pyst cables, so I have SE Pyst coming out of the Benchmark.  I have a  Norn Solv X balanced cable for my Alpha Primes.  Only 1 song so far, "Routine" off of Steve Wilson's Hand.Cannot.Erase.

First, and I mean FIRST impression: wow, that's so smooth, so clear, so pure.  Liquid indeed!

So, I officially turn in my Objectivist card.  That perspective has taken a serious pounding over the past 3 months, and this is the final straw. The micro detail, the depth and width of the soundstage, the absolute clarity and joy of the recording.  I'll do a head-to-head with the Burson, but running SE will seriously throttle the LC. I predict in balanced mode: no contest.  Too much power under that hood, especially once I get the full voltage out of the Benchmark with XLR's.

To all you still waiting- yeah, it's probably worth it!  Now I'm going to go disappear for a few hours...

As long as you're running balanced out, which it sounds like you are, you're losing little if anything by using SE in.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #660 of 2,966

I'm loving this pairing:musical_score::notes::notes::musical_score:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back