Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 13, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #571 of 2,966
I'd love to see how this measures up against the Objective 2! Can anyone offer comparisons????

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #573 of 2,966
Dec 13, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #575 of 2,966
Any comparisons of the LC (balanced) to the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball with the HD-650 or other headphone that pairs great with the BH Crack? I realize some will fairly say any tube amp compared to SS is apples to oranges and balanced/SE furthers the differences, but curious what people prefer.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #576 of 2,966
Any comparisons of the LC (balanced) to the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball with the HD-650 or other headphone that pairs great with the BH Crack? I realize some will fairly say any tube amp compared to SS is apples to oranges and balanced/SE furthers the differences, but curious what people prefer.

I won't compare them, or give a review, because I honestly don't know how to use the 100+ word vocabulary here on head-if to describe how something sounds. Any attempt to use the words I've learned here would convey no information since I've never heard a control sound for each word.

However, I will say that in using the LC with my T1's, I prefer the LC to my crack. To the point where I sold the crack. This was true SE, and even more so since i went balanced. In full disclosure, I now have Ether C's on order and would not have been able to use the crack anyway. If the C's are as good as I hope in reading all those words I have no reference for, the T1's will be for sale also..

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #577 of 2,966
My Liquid Carbon sounds Boss man.

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #578 of 2,966
Dec 13, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #579 of 2,966
I won't compare them, or give a review, because I honestly don't know how to use the 100+ word vocabulary here on head-if to describe how something sounds. Any attempt to use the words I've learned here would convey no information since I've never heard a control sound for each word.

However, I will say that in using the LC with my T1's, I prefer the LC to my crack. To the point where I sold the crack. This was true SE, and even more so since i went balanced. In full disclosure, I now have Ether C's on order and would not have been able to use the crack anyway. If the C's are as good as I hope in reading all those words I have no reference for, the T1's will be for sale also..

That's high praise. I saw that one in the FS add and drooled. It's drop dead gorgeous copper and wood chassis. But I'm surprised the LC did better on the T1s. Thats even more bizarre.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #580 of 2,966

Ah dammit, you spoiled it for him!  
biggrin.gif
  Now the secret of there being little-to-no-noise into CIEMs via balanced out is, um, out!

Does anyone want to start a new thread for the purposes of finding the best balanced IEM cables?

Mmmmmm, it's very good. The hum is gone, with just a little hiss remaining at high gains (Waaaay louder than i'd ever actually listen to). Output on the Hugo is dialled down to 'green' which gives good control on the LC. This is the best I've ever heard my K10s. There is so much more to amplification than simply power.

Cheers,

Peter.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #581 of 2,966
That's high praise. I saw that one in the FS add and drooled. It's drop dead gorgeous copper and wood chassis. But I'm surprised the LC did better on the T1s. Thats even more bizarre.

The LC just sounds cleaner, if that's the word I actually want to use...  And that's in comparison to a crack that a guy at a meet tested with iem's for noise and declared to be very quiet. 

I guess I could just say it sounds boss...  101+ words...

I really need a quiet meet with someone who knows what they are talking about who can demonstrate with equipment what all these words actually sound like in terms of what goes in my ears..  Otherwise I'm still just guessing what all of you mean...

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #582 of 2,966

Both are highly engaging, enjoyable experiences with the Sennheiser HD-650. Though as you said, they are definitely apples to oranges.

I thought for a moment, after listening to the Crack and returning to the Carbon, that something was lacking in Carbon - I think now the Carbon is just more subtle "magic" versus the obvious sound change going to the Crack sound. I don't own the Crack, so I can only compare at meets. I might be able again to compare in February, depending on what setups people bring to the next meet. At least two local people have the Crack and now two people will have the Carbon.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #584 of 2,966
That hum on the LC when using my Roxannes is quite noticeable. Enough for me to always want to reach for my full size cans after each song. I don't have any balance cables on hand but as seen on the posts above it solves the trick so for anybody who got the LC to use with their IEMs you really have to get some balanced cables to pair with them.

And I don't know how many hours exactly to fully break them in but I don't think it changed after it passed around 150-200 hours for me. Unless full break in is at like 10000 hours or something(fairy dust sprinkled around).

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #585 of 2,966
Again, I've been using the LC single ended to listen to PFE-232's, not a ciem, but well regarded. I don't get any hum, been thinking it might work better than my HE-1000 using a balanced cable. Seems to make the 232 sing...with the HEK, I do note a drop off in performance from my MicroZOTL2 (though it still sounds good). Preliminary thoughts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back