Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 12, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #541 of 2,966
So far, I'm loving the amp. It is way too noisy on the SE output to use with my CIEMs, but on its balanced output it sings. The LC manages to balance being analytical enough to hear all the details, with a sense of musicality and timing that is rare in audio equipment. The phase splitter on the SE input makes the amp so usable with my Hugo. I really can't see myself either wanting or needing to get anything better.

At the moment i'm listening to - 
Macbook Pro> Rune>Audioquest Jitterbug>Audioquest Cinnamon USB>Chord Hugo>$10 FiiO 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable>LC>Moon Audio Black Dragon cable>modded HD800s

Cheers,

Peter.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #542 of 2,966
Muddy depend on the ciem sensitivity...I started using my PFE-232 single ended (no removable cable), into LC, source Pono single ended line out. Sounded really nice, didn't feel like I was missing anything (at least, as much as an audiophile EVER feels that way... :) )

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #543 of 2,966
Does anyone else have the right most button on the LC (for balanced and single ended selection output) working opposite of what the owners manual states? I just received my new Alpha Dogs with the 4 Pin XLR DUM cable to run the LC in Balanced out mode with. Upon plugging the Alpha Dogs into the LC with the Input Selector button out for balanced output mode of operation (w/the white light showing) I got no sound. I checked my audio chain and pressed the same button in (red light showing) and all of a sudden sound came forth. So my question to all is, is my input button reversed or is the owners manual incorrect? On a side note; it really bothers me that I burned-in my LC, apparently, in SE mode this whole time thinking it was balanced as I didn't have any balanced headphones to test with. I was just following the owners manual to the letter...... Any comments will help before contacting Cavalli Audio about it.

As you have stated above the far right button is used to select between Balanced input or SE input. There is no button to select between Balanced or SE output. The outputs are always active. The owners manual is correct, and your input button is wired correctly. The way the Liquid Carbon is built if one uses the SE inputs it will take those inputs and create a balanced output signal. 

Item 2 in the operation instructions has a typo. It says to push the leftmost button to turn on the map, should be amp.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #544 of 2,966
And, all this time, I've been looking for that DAMN MAP! Was going to complain to Alex! :D

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #546 of 2,966
Does anyone else have the right most button on the LC (for balanced and single ended selection output) working opposite of what the owners manual states? I just received my new Alpha Dogs with the 4 Pin XLR DUM cable to run the LC in Balanced out mode with. Upon plugging the Alpha Dogs into the LC with the Input Selector button out for balanced output mode of operation (w/the white light showing) I got no sound. I checked my audio chain and pressed the same button in (red light showing) and all of a sudden sound came forth. So my question to all is, is my input button reversed or is the owners manual incorrect? On a side note; it really bothers me that I burned-in my LC, apparently, in SE mode this whole time thinking it was balanced as I didn't have any balanced headphones to test with. I was just following the owners manual to the letter...... Any comments will help before contacting Cavalli Audio about it.

That button swaps inputs, not outputs.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #547 of 2,966
I have read somewhere in one of the LC threads that the manual is incorrect in its description of this button.

However as this only switches the input between the balanced and SE connections it will not have affected your burn-in.

Balanced and SE outputs are active at all times irrespective of the switch position.

Thank you @Peridot for your response and clarification as it is appreciated.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #548 of 2,966
As you have stated above the far right button is used to select between Balanced input or SE input. There is no button to select between Balanced or SE output. The outputs are always active. The owners manual is correct, and your input button is wired correctly. The way the Liquid Carbon is built if one uses the SE inputs it will take those inputs and create a balanced output signal. 

Item 2 in the operation instructions has a typo. It says to push the leftmost button to turn on the map, should be amp.

I thought the Balanced/Single Ended INPUT button was supposed to be RED for SE and White for Bal. I guess the owners Manual is not completely accurate, that's all. Thank you for @rollinbr for your response.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #549 of 2,966
I thought the Balanced/Single Ended INPUT button was supposed to be RED for SE and White for Bal. I guess the owners Manual is not completely accurate, that's all. Thank you for @rollinbr for your response.

From the manual. It says what you did red is SE and white is balanced (or IN is SE and OUT is balanced).

4) The right pushbutton is the input selector. Out is balanced and in is SE. The LED indicator
will be white for balanced and red for SE. You can hot switch the input while listening to
music.

How does that match up with your unit? I don't have mine yet so can not test it...
blink.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #550 of 2,966
From the manual. It says what you did red is SE and white is balanced (or IN is SE and OUT is balanced).

4) The right pushbutton is the input selector. Out is balanced and in is SE. The LED indicator
will be white for balanced and red for SE. You can hot switch the input while listening to
music.

How does that match up with your unit? I don't have mine yet so can not test it...:blink:

I had to push my input button IN to turn the LED RED; only then did I get sound from the XLR 4-pin connector. This is opposite of what the manual states. There other two buttons buttons function as the manual states though.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #551 of 2,966
I had to push my input button IN to turn the LED RED; only then did I get sound from the XLR 4-pin connector. This is opposite of what the manual states. There other two buttons buttons function as the manual states though.

The button dictates your INPUT.  If you have no sound from your XLR, you won't have sound from the other outputs either.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #552 of 2,966
The selector only affects the input. The switch only changes from the dual three pin XLR inputs on the back to the SE inputs on the back. It should have no affect on the output.

Is your source (what is feeding the amp) SE or Balanced? If your source is SE only then it appears to be working the way it was designed to.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #553 of 2,966
So far, I'm loving the amp. It is way too noisy on the SE output to use with my CIEMs, but on its balanced output it sings. The LC manages to balance being analytical enough to hear all the details, with a sense of musicality and timing that is rare in audio equipment. The phase splitter on the SE input makes the amp so usable with my Hugo. I really can't see myself either wanting or needing to get anything better.

At the moment i'm listening to - 
Macbook Pro> Rune>Audioquest Jitterbug>Audioquest Cinnamon USB>Chord Hugo>$10 FiiO 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable>LC>Moon Audio Black Dragon cable>modded HD800s

Cheers,

Peter.

You're not connecting via RCA? Any particular reason for this?

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #555 of 2,966
  So far, I'm loving the amp. It is way too noisy on the SE output to use with my CIEMs, but on its balanced output it sings. 

Cheers,

Peter.

Peter, I know this is going to sound crazy.  But if you ever get a chance to go balanced out into your K10, lemme know what you think.  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back