Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 11, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #511 of 2,966
  That's fine and all, but please don't insist that we adhere to the theory of hardware burn-in.
smile.gif

There's more than a little pressure in this thread to acknowledge it.  If I experience it, and it would be the first time ever in 40+ years that I have, I'll acknowledge it. But suspect it's my tonographic map adjusting to the signature, I'll note that as well. But with a light heart and a spirit of friendship towards all!!! 
biggrin.gif

One thing I will not do in this hobby is tell you what you're hearing.  If you don't hear burn-in, so be it.  But Cavalli does and he suggests 150 hours so I'm suggesting it'd be helpful to indicate if you're not there yet when giving impressions.  

beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #512 of 2,966
I have finished burning in the Liquid Carbon to somewhere about 200 hours straight. I would say everything has been extended a bit. More Bass, Treble, space between instruments and clarity. With the added treble and clarity the amp seemed to gain an added brightness. That seems to relax when the amp is warmed up for an hour. Thank Goodness! The amp is a bit louder as well. There is a Jeff Beck track called Tribal. It has some pretty screaming sonic mayhem with one section towards the end that could test your icepick tolerance. The track sounds great with my hd800's. Really nice extended treble and the extra bass is welcome with the hd800's. And my LCD 2.2f's have Never sounded this good. But, I was thrilled with the amp before burn in. I'm still (a bit more) thrilled. But i'm ambivalent about burn in. I think rather than separating myself from the amp for eight days in the experimentation lab, I would rather just listen to my stuff and let the amp break in with normal use. So would I burn in the LC if I had to do it over again? Nope, not a chance.

Well that's my impression after burning it in for 200 hours. I did go into the music room to have a short listen to. To make sure nothing was broken, breaking, heating. But I didn't bother to listen with an ear towards 'Are we there yet'. I'm naming my amp Alice as it went through the Burn In Hole, or is that Whole. When I asked about natural, organic burn in vs 150 hours I got a two word reply from Alex. 'It's better'. That really wasn't satisfactory to me but I did it anyway. So from my personal experience it is not always better to perform mega burn in. Not doing it with my Master 11 or others. And I have decades of experience with tube and solid state guitar amps. There is about Zip difference between that world and this.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #513 of 2,966
I believe breaking in gear with random sessions is actually better then a constant source/load. The randomness helps the caps/parts go through cycles where they have power/signal. If you leave it on 24/7 the caps never get a chance to discharge/reform. Plus, why torture yourself and not enjoy the sonic ride. We have waiting this long to get the amp, why not start enjoying right away.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #514 of 2,966
I'd suspect the OCD level is much higher in this world (including myself :D )

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #515 of 2,966
I'd suspect the OCD level is much higher in this world (including myself
biggrin.gif
)

Nah, we're fine.  Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go wash my hands, three times.

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #517 of 2,966
What is that thing you have on top of the Liquid Carbon

Most like some type of weight and possibly a vibration absorber. The LC is pretty light and stiff cables can make it move around. I did the same thing. Mine is an acrylic box filled with high viscosity silicone fluid and stainless steel shot, with a silicone foam sheet on the bottom. Also put a silicone mat under the LC to help isolate it and keep it in place. Cheers

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #518 of 2,966
A big of blue tac at the bottom should also suffice?

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #519 of 2,966
Thanks, figured that was the purpose, just hadn't seen one before.  Anyone have suggestions on a something I can find online?

Quote:
Most like some type of weight and possibly a vibration absorber. The LC is pretty light and stiff cables can make it move around. I did the same thing. Mine is an acrylic box filled with high viscosity silicone fluid and stainless steel shot, with a silicone foam sheet on the bottom. Also put a silicone mat under the LC to help isolate it and keep it in place. Cheers

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #520 of 2,966

Where can I buy something like this? I want to spend at least a thousand dollars. And, it should have some kind of magical alloy. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #521 of 2,966
I'd suspect the OCD level is much higher in this world (including myself
biggrin.gif
)

You may be right with $3000.00 power cables and what not. One big difference. We are actually playing the music. AND there are a lot more Women around. Some who really like the Guitar Player.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #522 of 2,966

I am a really big fan of stick-on sorbothane discs. I have them sticked under the feet of my Crimson, and the sorbothane is a really good isolator and has a tacky surface that will cling well to a flat surface. I can now plug and unplug headphones into my Crimson without having to brace it with my other hand to prevent it from moving.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #523 of 2,966
I'd suspect the OCD level is much higher in this world (including myself :D )

You may be right with $3000.00 power cables and what not. One big difference. We are actually playing the music. AND there are a lot more Women around. Some who really like the Guitar Player.

As an old guitar player myself, definitely have a better chance with women with an axe than with sorbothane footers...:)

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #524 of 2,966
Where can I buy something like this? I want to spend at least a thousand dollars. And, it should have some kind of magical alloy. 

Made it myself for almost nothing! The acrylic box is from The Container Store, the Si fluid was a sample and the shot was from a reloading catalog.

And the science behind ultra-high viscosity silicone fluid as a dampening agent is well proven and used in all types of industrial products and scientific applications (I used to sell the stuff for GE) so no snake oil. The stainless shot is just to add weight. Nothing magic.

Cheers

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #525 of 2,966
There I was celebrating the fact that I'd found some stuff I needed to buy from Amazon, which allowed me to add the 0.99p rubber feet I wanted for the undercarriage of my LC when it arrives.

Now I need to worry about high viscosity dampening fluid and acrylic boxes and steel shot 
confused.gif

... or not   
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back