Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 11, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #496 of 2,966
I haven't received my Liquid Carbon yet, so I can't compare the two, and honestly I don't think that my comparison would be very fair or accurate considering I don't have access to a Taurus anymore, but I'll post my thoughts on the Taurus anyway...

I've auditioned the Taurus MK II in my local Hi-Fi store with a few different DACs (the Yggy, the MA Hex, more importantly the Vega, which many consider the 'best' pair), and spent a few hours with a friends Taurus and Vega, his HD800, my Ether, and his HE1000. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the sound. Actually, he wasn't either, and he ended up selling the stack to get an Audio-GD Ref 7 and a HeadAmp GS-X MK2. My opinion may not be very well received on this, but personally I found that (especially when paired with the Vega) the sound was artificially bright, even harsh in many instances. Thin, flat and grainy.. It may pair better with other headphones (and preferences!) I suppose, but, especially with the HD800 and Ether, my listening volumes had to be very low to get any enjoyment from this amp at all. I messed a little with the BAL switch and gain but ultimately, the amp was not for me. Your mileage may vary though...

On that day in my local Hi-Fi store, I also spent about an hour listening to the HeadAmp GS-X MK 2 (... just a bit more expensive ...) which I much preferred. Based on the hype I was very interested in the Taurus but ultimately it did not appeal much to me at all after auditioning. The GS-X has a much a more natural, balanced sound, lovely detailed, deep bass with equally lovely highs. If you're interested in the Taurus try and find one to audition -- I have heard from many sources that the MK1 and MK2 are mostly the same, which some subtle changes to the power supply that realistically do not effect sonic presentation -- once again, YMMV.

Hope this was helpful, even if it is sort of negatively toned...

I'm in total disagreement with your Post. I have the Tarus Mk2 and an upgraded Momarchy M22 DAC. It sounds incredible with my HD800 and LCD-3f, no grain, brightness just awsome musicality. The Taurus Mk.2 was Tyll's reference until being displaced by the Moon 430.

I haven't received my LC yet, but I would happy to write a comparison.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #497 of 2,966
I'm in total disagreement with your Post. I have the Taurus Mk2 and an upgraded Monarchy M22 DAC. It sounds incredible with my HD800 and LCD-3f, no grain, brightness just awesome musicality. The Taurus Mk.2 was Tyll's reference until being displaced by the Moon 430.

popcorn.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #498 of 2,966
I will be connecting my LC with the Bifrost Multibit. But it will be a while before I can report back since I don't have delivery yet and the long burn in.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #499 of 2,966
I will be connecting my LC with the Bifrost Multibit. But it will be a while before I can report back since I don't have delivery yet and the long burn in.

I'm totally looking forward to your impressions @bflat

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #500 of 2,966
I'm in total disagreement with your Post. I have the Tarus Mk2 and an upgraded Momarchy M22 DAC. It sounds incredible with my HD800 and LCD-3f, no grain, brightness just awsome musicality. The Taurus Mk.2 was Tyll's reference until being displaced by the Moon 430.

Maybe I should give it another go! :) 

Looking forward to hearing your comparison.

Cheers 

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #501 of 2,966
I have finished burning in the Liquid Carbon to somewhere about 200 hours straight. I would say everything has been extended a bit. More Bass, Treble, space between instruments and clarity. With the added treble and clarity the amp seemed to gain an added brightness. That seems to relax when the amp is warmed up for an hour. Thank Goodness! The amp is a bit louder as well. There is a Jeff Beck track called Tribal. It has some pretty screaming sonic mayhem with one section towards the end that could test your icepick tolerance. The track sounds great with my hd800's. Really nice extended treble and the extra bass is welcome with the hd800's. And my LCD 2.2f's have Never sounded this good. But, I was thrilled with the amp before burn in. I'm still (a bit more) thrilled. But i'm ambivalent about burn in. I think rather than separating myself from the amp for eight days in the experimentation lab, I would rather just listen to my stuff and let the amp break in with normal use. So would I burn in the LC if I had to do it over again? Nope, not a chance.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #502 of 2,966
I have finished burning in the Liquid Carbon to somewhere about 200 hours straight. I would say everything has been extended a bit. More Bass, Treble, space between instruments and clarity. With the added treble and clarity the amp seemed to gain an added brightness. That seems to relax when the amp is warmed up for an hour. Thank Goodness! The amp is a bit louder as well. There is a Jeff Beck track called Tribal. It has some pretty screaming sonic mayhem with one section towards the end that could test your icepick tolerance. The track sounds great with my hd800's. Really nice extended treble and the extra bass is welcome with the hd800's. And my LCD 2.2f's have Never sounded this good. But, I was thrilled with the amp before burn in. I'm still (a bit more) thrilled. But i'm ambivalent about burn in. I think rather than separating myself from the amp for eight days in the experimentation lab, I would rather just listen to my stuff and let the amp break in with normal use. So would I burn in the LC if I had to do it over again? Nope, not a chance.

That's what I normally do. Wouldn't be able to resist listening for that long 
redface.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #503 of 2,966
IBut, I was thrilled with the amp before burn in. I'm still (a bit more) thrilled. But i'm ambivalent about burn in. I think rather than separating myself from the amp for eight days in the experimentation lab, I would rather just listen to my stuff and let the amp break in with normal use. So would I burn in the LC if I had to do it over again? Nope, not a chance.

And that's the reason I won't be "burning" mine in when I get it. 
dt880smile.png

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #504 of 2,966
It's a couple of things. You pop something in the Transporter and you get something different back out. That was the goal but it's kind of like cosmetic surgery. Everything is all enhanced at once. You like the amp now and when it's all growed up you haven't noticed but your Aunt stops by for a listen and looks at the LC and says 'My you've grown'. The other thing is sometimes it's just All Too Much. I hear a new rhythmic faint tinking sound that was never there before. I can hear Doyle Bramall's kick drum squeak a little. I was concerned the amp may have refined out and lost some PRAT( I learned to say that here). But nope it did not. And I did visit my LC during burn in and blah blah :)

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #505 of 2,966
I'll be burning in my ears with the Liquid Carbon.....

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #506 of 2,966
  And that's the reason I won't be "burning" mine in when I get it. 
dt880smile.png

I'm not either, mine is only 20 or so hours old.  And I already hear subtle differences (improvements) from minute one...

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #508 of 2,966
That turned out to be quick, cool! :)

I'm hoping that was veiled sarcasm?

Wasn't meant sarcastically, seemed to be a quick turnaround to me. Hey, I have had problems with gear over the years-this year, had 2 big ones. Bought acs Tenor custom iems about a year ago (actually started out with the previous top of the line, then upgraded as I was going there with problems). Over the year, have had fit issues, with multiple returns and visits to the Manhattan office. I had the left channel go out, sent for return. Got it back, the right channel was out. Came back recently, and the cable on it went bad. Each time, it was a few weeks between the time I sent it out and got it back. I figure over the year, maybe I had ciems 3-4 months. This was new. Then, my Peachtree Grandpre preamp went out (twice), wasn't brand new, had to send it back each time for repair (thankfully, still under warrantee). Each time it was there many weeks until I got it back. So, from my perspective/experience, a few days seemed pretty quick. Guess you're still pretty angry about the whole affair, sorry :redface:

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #509 of 2,966
For those who plan to listen during break-in, I think that's a perfectly good idea.  But I'd suggest indicating as much if you decide to post impressions before the recommended break-in is complete.  The amp was meant to sound a certain way; it's not really fair to people looking for sonic impressions (or Dr. Cavalli for that matter) to give impressions of the amp before the recommended break-in period (without indicating it).

On a side note, I went back to listening to my LC last night and I was once again blown away by how good it sounds for the price.  I love my Liquid Crimson, but the Carbon is much of the way there for a fraction of the price.  I was listening with the (really enjoyable) ZMF x Vibro mk ii and that headphone sounds great but it isn't the most resolving thing Zach makes (as one would expect for the price).  One of the great benefits of the Liquid Crimson is its super resolving nature and the Vibro just isn't at a level where it can take advantage of that.  Stepping down to the LC with such a headphone offers even less sonic difference than it would with something uber resolving like an HD800.

Speaking of the HD800...

...I suspect it might have a little something to do with your icepick situation.  :p  

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #510 of 2,966
  For those who plan to listen during break-in, I think that's a perfectly good idea.  But I'd suggest indicating as much if you decide to post impressions before the recommended break-in is complete.  The amp was meant to sound a certain way; it's not really fair to people looking for sonic impressions (or Dr. Cavalli for that matter) to give impressions of the amp before the recommended break-in period (without indicating it).

That's fine and all, but please don't insist that we adhere to the theory of hardware burn-in.
smile.gif

There's more than a little pressure in this thread to acknowledge it.  If I experience it, and it would be the first time ever in 40+ years that I have, I'll acknowledge it. But suspect it's my tonographic map adjusting to the signature, I'll note that as well. But with a light heart and a spirit of friendship towards all!!! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back