Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 9, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #466 of 2,966
There was a post yesterday that has now been deleted, which seems odd. The poster claimed to know both Dr. Cavalli and the production team and the poster said that 'several balls were dropped' during production and that Cavalli would make things right, but that products shipped out were not always up to par. I have no idea if the post was deleted because it was untrue or what, but seems odd that it was just deleted without retraction.

Not sure what you mean by this.  If your Schiit amp has a problem, you fix it in your house?

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #467 of 2,966
The post itself was kind of odd...

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #468 of 2,966
Well, that's odd. I realize $600 is well below any other Cavalli amp, but there's also plenty of other $600 amps that don't seem to need to be sent back to make things right. Hope I get one of the gems and not one of the dropped balls.

I disagree.

There may be other $600 amplifiers, but I know of no other balanced amplifiers - and I know there is not much desire on this site to buy American, but I would also add that to the feature set of this amplifier. And I would add that it has a truly usable single-ended intput (both in RCA and 1/8" variety). And it has a truly usable single-ended output. The only other amplifier to qualify (being balanced and having low price, missing the single-ended features) - I bought the Mjolnir when its price was reduced to $550. It was fantastically clean-sounding and had no noise to speak of due to the architecture. However its sound was not, in my opinion, at the same level as the Cavalli.

So excuse me if I disagree, but I feel the $600 is a bargain. I know of no other amplifier.

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #469 of 2,966
There was a post yesterday that has now been deleted, which seems odd. The poster claimed to know both Dr. Cavalli and the production team and the poster said that 'several balls were dropped' during production and that Cavalli would make things right, but that products shipped out were not always up to par. I have no idea if the post was deleted because it was untrue or what, but seems odd that it was just deleted without retraction.

Its probaby good the post was deleted. As I was reading that I was thinking.... "ummm prob not what we needed to read,, somethings aren't meant to be spoken"

All of these companies have hiccups its the nature of manufacturing. Not one company gets it right all the time or never runs into issues. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #470 of 2,966
  Its probaby good the post was deleted. As I was reading that I was thinking.... "ummm prob not what we needed to read,, somethings aren't meant to be spoken"

All of these companies have hiccups its the nature of manufacturing. Not one company gets it right all the time or never runs into issues. 

And I feel that Cavalli Audio is taking care of the issues. He has posted many times on this site, and has written to my personally when he felt I might be at a point of having issues with burn-in. He truly is concerned for this amplifier, regardless of its low-cost.

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #471 of 2,966
You must also understand that due to the shipment volume of this amplifier, this is not a traditional Cavalli amplifier. As-in he has needed to use external resources to build and to deliver. I do think much of the criticism is incorrect.

He has still supported it 100%.

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #472 of 2,966
  I disagree.

There may be other $600 amplifiers, but I know of no other balanced amplifiers - and I know there is not much desire on this site to buy American, but I would also add that to the feature set of this amplifier. And I would add that it has a truly usable single-ended intput (both in RCA and 1/8" variety). And it has a truly usable single-ended output. The only other amplifier to qualify (being balanced and having low price, missing the single-ended features) - I bought the Mjolnir when its price was reduced to $550. It was fantastically clean-sounding and had no noise to speak of due to the architecture. However its sound was not, in my opinion, at the same level as the Cavalli.

So excuse me if I disagree, but I feel the $600 is a bargain. I know of no other amplifier.

+1.  
And now that you brought it up, is the LC also superior to the Mjolnir 2? 

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #473 of 2,966

+1.  

No. It is different and with tube rolling you can make it sound vastly different than LC. Truly an apples to oranges comparison.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #474 of 2,966

+1.  

No. It is different and with tube rolling you can make it sound vastly different than LC. Truly an apples to oranges comparison.

@MattTCG also has both, if he would chime in - perhaps tomorrow, as it is getting late today.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #475 of 2,966
  @MattTCG also has both, if he would chime in - perhaps tomorrow, as it is getting late today.

Thanks.

Yeah...I get that...but Mjolnir 2 also has solid state lisst tubes and differences aside, we can still evaluate and compare the qualities of both. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #476 of 2,966
This has been has been possibly the most positively received amps of the year based on impressions at meets, etc. There has been a ton of enthusiasm and hardly any criticism, which is why the post last night by someone supposedly in the know made such an impression.

You must also understand that due to the shipment volume of this amplifier, this is not a traditional Cavalli amplifier. As-in he has needed to use external resources to build and to deliver. I do think much of the criticism is incorrect.

He has still supported it 100%.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #477 of 2,966
Well, that's odd. I realize $600 is well below any other Cavalli amp, but there's also plenty of other $600 amps that don't seem to need to be sent back to make things right. Hope I get one of the gems and not one of the dropped balls.

I still don't get the "don't need to be sent back to make things right" comment.  If you have a busted amp, it has to be sent back right?  No matter what company you use?

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #478 of 2,966
I'm guessing Alex wont be using the same manufacturer to make the portable amp.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #479 of 2,966
My LC was in the 1st batch sent out. I just ran it for 8 days straight performing burn in per Dr. Alex's preference. 200 hours without a problem. Got barely warm.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #480 of 2,966
Has anyone heard the Auralic Taurus MK II. I know they aren't in the same price bracket or anything else, but just thoughts?

I haven't received my Liquid Carbon yet, so I can't compare the two, and honestly I don't think that my comparison would be very fair or accurate considering I don't have access to a Taurus anymore, but I'll post my thoughts on the Taurus anyway...

I've auditioned the Taurus MK II in my local Hi-Fi store with a few different DACs (the Yggy, the MA Hex, more importantly the Vega, which many consider the 'best' pair), and spent a few hours with a friends Taurus and Vega, his HD800, my Ether, and his HE1000. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the sound. Actually, he wasn't either, and he ended up selling the stack to get an Audio-GD Ref 7 and a HeadAmp GS-X MK2. My opinion may not be very well received on this, but personally I found that (especially when paired with the Vega) the sound was artificially bright, even harsh in many instances. Thin, flat and grainy.. It may pair better with other headphones (and preferences!) I suppose, but, especially with the HD800 and Ether, my listening volumes had to be very low to get any enjoyment from this amp at all. I messed a little with the BAL switch and gain but ultimately, the amp was not for me. Your mileage may vary though...

On that day in my local Hi-Fi store, I also spent about an hour listening to the HeadAmp GS-X MK 2 (... just a bit more expensive ...) which I much preferred. Based on the hype I was very interested in the Taurus but ultimately it did not appeal much to me at all after auditioning. The GS-X has a much a more natural, balanced sound, lovely detailed, deep bass with equally lovely highs. If you're interested in the Taurus try and find one to audition -- I have heard from many sources that the MK1 and MK2 are mostly the same, which some subtle changes to the power supply that realistically do not effect sonic presentation -- once again, YMMV.

Hope this was helpful, even if it is sort of negatively toned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back