Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 8, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #451 of 2,966
Dec 8, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #452 of 2,966
Thanks. I actually saw that before. My issue is that I need long runs of cables, like 4 or 5 meters. The Oppo cable at that length is $200. I haven't found a Senn one at that length although I am sure they are out there; and custom would be presumably expensive. I looked for balanced extension cords but only found 3 pin, not 4 pin ones.

I would check with this seller on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Handmade-Dyson-Audio-Gotham-Sennheiser-HD-650-600-580-565-Headphone-Cable-/351497929485

I just bought a balanced (TRRS-XLR) Oppo PM-3 cable from him and he was willing to make it 3 meters instead of 2. Price was pretty sweet too.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #453 of 2,966
Have you used the SE output much. I jus ordered one of the few remaining LCs today and my understanding is that while the balanced output is of course better, the SE is still pretty good (especially compared to certain balanced amps that offer a SE more as a matter of convenience). Hope I did not make a mistake. Anyway I guess I don't care if I need to turn the volume knob a bit more as long as it sounds good and doesn't start to distort from the strain. Also, my cans are fairly efficient - Oppo PM-2, Senn HD 600 and some AKGs. Would prefer not to have to spend a couple hundred dollars each for each of the Oppo and Senn balanced cables.

Of course the SE sounds good, you're just losing a lot of power.  For a headphone that doesn't need much power like the PM-2 or the AKG's, it'll be plenty.  For the HD600, I'd suggest you get a balanced cable to take advantage of the extra power.  I tested the LC with my HD650 in SE mode and then balanced and it sounded notably better to my ears when run from balanced (probably due to 4x the power).

You might check the DIY cable thread to see if any DIY'ers on here will make you one for cheap.  Components for the cable should cost no more than $40 for a reasonable length (say 6') and then with some gratuity, it shouldn't be too crazy.  There are some crazy skilled folks in that thread...

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #454 of 2,966
  I would check with this seller on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Handmade-Dyson-Audio-Gotham-Sennheiser-HD-650-600-580-565-Headphone-Cable-/351497929485

I just bought a balanced (TRRS-XLR) Oppo PM-3 cable from him and he was willing to make it 3 meters instead of 2. Price was pretty sweet too.

+1 for Dyson.  I bought some XLR interconnects from Dyson.  Great quality and craftsmanship for a very good price.

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #456 of 2,966
Was there a post that was deleted about production of this amp? I could've sworn there was a post in this thread about production problems and 'balls getting dropped,' but maybe it's in one of the other 3 threads about this amp

So…after returning for repair my amp because it was not working correctly right out of the box, I just found out that they are sending my amp back via FedEx Home Ground from California!!!

The repair center promised me a one day turn-around, and instead of sending it back to me via FedEx 2 or 3 day air, it sat at the repair place for 3 days, and then they are using the slowest shipping method possible. 8 days!

All in all, it will be 15 days to get this taken care of (even though they should have just sent me a new one immediately), and if I am not home to sign for it, it will be another 3 days. Not happy. Pretty pissed actually. Anyone wanna buy an amp? I have lost my sense of humor about this one, and don't really want it anymore :rolleyes:  . 

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #458 of 2,966
Was there a post that was deleted about production of this amp? I could've sworn there was a post in this thread about production problems and 'balls getting dropped,' but maybe it's in one of the other 3 threads about this amp

Yes, there was a post yesterday from Mike Mercer that appears to now be gone.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #459 of 2,966
Well, that's odd. I realize $600 is well below any other Cavalli amp, but there's also plenty of other $600 amps that don't seem to need to be sent back to make things right. Hope I get one of the gems and not one of the dropped balls.

Yes, there was a post yesterday from Mike Mercer that appears to now be gone.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #462 of 2,966
Well, that's odd. I realize $600 is well below any other Cavalli amp, but there's also plenty of other $600 amps that don't seem to need to be sent back to make things right. Hope I get one of the gems and not one of the dropped balls.

I've only read about a few that might have had an issue. Mine has been perfect. Don't see anything bad going on and Alex seems to be really standing behind his products, which is not a surprise at all since he's a great guy. Cheers

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #463 of 2,966

Not sure what you mean by this.  If your Schiit amp has a problem, you fix it in your house?

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #464 of 2,966
They don't make house calls????

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #465 of 2,966
Has anyone heard the Auralic Taurus MK II. I know they aren't in the same price bracket or anything else, but just thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back