Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Nov 30, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #302 of 2,966
  I think everyone is taking burn-in too seriously. Play tunes and enjoy your new amp. Yes, it will change, but isn't it fun to hear how it might change and improve? There's no reason to not use the amp while you are running music through it. My 2 lame cents.

+1 (OCD serious).

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #303 of 2,966
I haven't even received mine, but this is one aspect I'm really looking forward to. I want to see if I can identify how it changes over time. As far as I'm concerned, the burn-in process is a perk to be enjoyed!

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #304 of 2,966
Nov 30, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #305 of 2,966
So have worked my way through the burn-in period (using balanced input and output) and have to say this amp to me can be summarized in one word - TRANSPARENT. It's like you're looking through a window to the soul of the music, and an incredibly clean window at that. Nothing is obscured, nothing is reflected - what's there is there, what's not is not.

The Liquid Carbon allows the Geek Pulse X Infinity to really show off what Larry Ho has done with this fine DAC. Not that the Pulse Infinity has a weak amplifier section, it's just that the LC makes it shine that much more.

Great stuff Alex and thanks for admitting so many of us to the exclusive "Club Cavalli"!

beerchug.gif

I agree 100%. During burn in I still preferred the Ininity's amp since it has so many more hours on it. But now that I'm beyond 150 hours on the LC your assessment and mine are the same. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #307 of 2,966
  ^cant stand the infinity amp. The LC better  have a whole different sound signature. 

The Liquid Carbon vs the Audio-gd NFB-1AMP might be a good shoot out. Both come recommended by @Curawong 

People have been saying that the NFB-1AMP is very similar to the amp section of the NFB-28.  I compared the LC to the NFB-28 in my review, might help a bit.

From memory, the NFB-28 was much brighter and the soundstage was slightly wider and significantly shallower.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #309 of 2,966
Hi,

Anyone here lucky enough to own both an LC + a Chord Mojo? If you do have you had a chance to compare the two, I.e. Mojo > Headphones vs Mojo > LC > Headphones.

Thanks in advance.

I think we're just waiting on @x RELIC x to get his LC for this particular pairing...

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #310 of 2,966
I think we're just waiting on @x RELIC x
 to get his LC for this particular pairing...

Uhg. The Mojo tour was delayed quite a bit so I won't be getting it back for a while. Perhaps mid Janurary. :mad:

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #311 of 2,966
Hi,

Anyone here lucky enough to own both an LC + a Chord Mojo? If you do have you had a chance to compare the two, I.e. Mojo > Headphones vs Mojo > LC > Headphones.

Thanks in advance.

Have you heard the Mojo?

In my opinion, it drives quite a number of headphones very well. It drives my two balanced headphones, Sennheiser HD650 and HiFiMan HE-1000, exceedingly well (actually three headphones if you include Audeze EL-8C, but that one is very easy to drive). Also the Mojo does not have a dedicated line output - that, combined with how well it drives headphones directly leads me to suggest people simply drive their headphones directly from the Mojo.

Yes, I have the Mojo. Yes, I have the Liquid Carbon. However (unrelated to the Carbon) I'd rather just use the Mojo directly. I do not have any headphones that benefit more from another amplifier. There are some other people who posted similar comments in Mojo and headphone threads (believe there were some recent comments on the Audeze LCD-4). But that's just my two cents.

Love the Carbon! Just don't use it with the Mojo (used Carbon once and another headphone amplifier, more to compare Mojo against my dedicated DAC - I was, meh, not too excited). Just use the Mojo if you can.

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #312 of 2,966
  Have you heard the Mojo?

In my opinion, it drives quite a number of headphones very well. It drives my two balanced headphones, Sennheiser HD650 and HiFiMan HE-1000, exceedingly well (actually three headphones if you include Audeze EL-8C, but that one is very easy to drive). Also the Mojo does not have a dedicated line output - that, combined with how well it drives headphones directly leads me to suggest people simply drive their headphones directly from the Mojo.

Yes, I have the Mojo. Yes, I have the Liquid Carbon. However (unrelated to the Carbon) I'd rather just use the Mojo directly. I do not have any headphones that benefit more from another amplifier. There are some other people who posted similar comments in Mojo and headphone threads (believe there were some recent comments on the Audeze LCD-4). But that's just my two cents.

Love the Carbon! Just don't use it with the Mojo (used Carbon once and another headphone amplifier, more to compare Mojo against my dedicated DAC - I was, meh, not too excited). Just use the Mojo if you can.

I'm curious if you'd try it just for grins and giggles.  I find it hard to imagine that the extra power from the balanced LC will not make the HD650 sound SIGNIFICANTLY better than just using the Mojo alone.  The amp section on the Hugo is nothing to write home about and I think the Mojo uses the same setup.

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #313 of 2,966
@Stillhart

I know you have a 560 right?  How far are you on the volume in balanced using the LC?  I thought I will not go past 12 in the volume knob (1x gain).  I am mostly listening at 1 or 2..same as my single ended iCAN.

Still currently burning in the amp X5 (LO) -> LC (SE in)..I have not tried my DC-1 on it yet (have not made my balance cables yet hehe been busy)

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #314 of 2,966
  @Stillhart

I know you have a 560 right?  How far are you on the volume in balanced using the LC?  I thought I will not go past 12 in the volume knob (1x gain).  I am mostly listening at 1 or 2..same as my single ended iCAN.

Still currently burning in the amp X5 (LO) -> LC (SE in)..I have not tried my DC-1 on it yet (have not made my balance cables yet hehe been busy)

I'm closer to 10:00 when using it balanced in unity gain.  1-2:00 is far too loud for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back