Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Oct 17, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #2,806 of 2,966
I don't see why they should be worried. They would not have put their savings into a product that is not reliable, would they?

If you like Cavalli you should be buying the amp you want now. The prices will probably go up as they become more scarce.

I don't think the value will go up...in fact it will go down. Lacking warranty supports can be a big issue if you think of it. Plus, there are many good sounding amplifiers out there with proper warranty supports.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #2,807 of 2,966
The liquid carbon has never been very reliable. issues with the volume pot etc. The massdrop made ones are not proven. It is yet to be seen if massdrop is even capable of manufacturing amplifiers. I don’t believe they ever have before.
After one year my LC2 works flawlessly but I heard about others having the issues you mention.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #2,808 of 2,966
I don't think the value will go up...in fact it will go down. Lacking warranty supports can be a big issue if you think of it. Plus, there are many good sounding amplifiers out there with proper warranty supports.
If the amp is already out of warranty that makes no difference.
Cavalli nominated a company to provide technical service for the existing amps.
I'm not comparing with a new amp of any brand obviously but if you want the original Cavalli sound the LC is and will always be the most affordable solution.
Massdrop is massdrop, Cavalli is Cavalli...

Oct 17, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #2,809 of 2,966
If the amp is already out of warranty that makes no difference.
Cavalli nominated a company to provide technical service for the existing amps.
I'm not comparing with a new amp of any brand obviously but if you want the original Cavalli sound the LC is and will always be the most affordable solution.
Massdrop is massdrop, Cavalli is Cavalli...

The repair cost will not be cheap and the LC1 amps have had issues in the past. The pot is notoriously bad and I had channel imbalanced from the get go.

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #2,811 of 2,966
The liquid carbon has never been very reliable. issues with the volume pot etc. The massdrop made ones are not proven. It is yet to be seen if massdrop is even capable of manufacturing amplifiers. I don’t believe they ever have before.
I had my volume pot repaired under warranty, but my LC2's one year warranty is now expired, so I'm satisfied that Alex Cavalli recommended a shop to repair it in the future if needed. My list of purchases of audio equipment through the years have mostly lived far beyond any warranties, but there have been a few expensive ones that have died before I thought they should. I am very pleased with my LC2 ( and have been for the past eleven months after repaired) so I am looking forward to listening to it and continuing to enjoy it for a while. Good luck to all of us.

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,812 of 2,966
Could you clarify what period of time this actually was? Did you do a direct volume matched A/B comparison? I always like to qualify statements like this. I had a LAU for about a month. I should have never let it go. But am actively looking for the right deal on one now. I have only listened to a V281 casually at a few meets. I never found the LAU to be rough around the edges in comparison. Exactly what is your definition of "rough around the edges" ?? I can't say that I actually understand it. Can you be more specific? Just curious where you are coming from. If I have any reason to agree, it could save me some money.

This was during 3rd week of last month, a cozy afternoon in the mall, just got off from a lazy seminar and decided to pay my favorite(and quite probably the only headfi shop available in my area) head fi shiop, and there was a Liquid Gold on the audition table. It was hooked up to a Chord QBD76 and a macbook pro playing lossless files. The unit was not in used so I simply turned it on and hooked up a balanced HE1000 on it, since back then before I was looking for a TOTL setup, I was auditioning all the available TOTL headphones on a QBD76>V281(which now I currently have paired with the RS06) setup and 3 planars stood out at that time(Ether, LCDX, HE1000).

From what I can remember, the HE1000 sounded too smooth on the QBD76>V281, to the point that it started to make me feel sleepy, it lacked "bite" or "grit". Cymbals and hat strikes lack the attack compared to the Ether's, well till I heard the HE1000 on the Liquid Gold. It gained some of the "bite" and "grit" it was lacking paired with the V281, but since the HE1000 has a "hazy" character, this introduced a bit of graininess in the overall sound profile.

Now depending on the headphones you have, this may or may not be beneficial for you if you consider gear synergy. If you can, it is best you audition it first hand, as everyone have different preferences and listening abilities. Hope this helps you out in your purchase decisions.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #2,813 of 2,966
Thanks. I appreciate the response. I may be living in the past a bit. One of the most remarkable listening experiences I have had was at the Cavalli booth a couple of years ago. He had the LAU driven by a high end DAC (can't remember the exact one) driving a set of Abyss phones. I spent about an hour there in the early afternoon on Friday. It actually was not too noisy. It is probably unobtainable, but I still search for that sound.

BTW, I have a set of HE1K V1. Interestingly, part of what I like about them is that smoothness.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #2,814 of 2,966
Thanks. I appreciate the response. I may be living in the past a bit. One of the most remarkable listening experiences I have had was at the Cavalli booth a couple of years ago. He had the LAU driven by a high end DAC (can't remember the exact one) driving a set of Abyss phones. I spent about an hour there in the early afternoon on Friday. It actually was not too noisy. It is probably unobtainable, but I still search for that sound.

BTW, I have a set of HE1K V1. Interestingly, part of what I like about them is that smoothness.

If that's the case, I think you might like the V281 as it makes it's smooth character even more evident.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #2,815 of 2,966
I really don't see what the big deal is. If the pot goes bad, take the opportunity to replace it with a better pot. They are not that expensive. A nice one should cost about 10 bucks.

If you can do the work yourself then great but others may need to send their units in. I no longer have the LC but I did have one in the past. If you guys are looking for a great amp that can compete and even surpass the LAu, get someone to build you a SuSy Dynahi with premium parts or contact Doug at ECP Audio and get the Ravenswood/DSHA-4 built. I had the pleasure of comparing these three amps in the past and the two mentioned are a match made in heaven with the HEK. V1/V2 and should be for the Susvara.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #2,816 of 2,966
I was in on the last run of the Liquid Gold. I was near the end and received my unit in October 2016. I believe these last run Lau were the final amps built by Cavalli. My Lau had a 1 year warranty so thusly expired. Unless someone purchased a remnant from dealer stock all Cavalli warranties are expired except for the LC v1 lifetime warranty. So not really an issue except for those 500 owners.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #2,817 of 2,966
I wonder if any other Cavalli amps will be available though Massdrop like the LCX, Cavalli might as will sold more rights to Massdrop then is known I hope so..

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #2,819 of 2,966
Do you think the LCX will benefit from a better power supply? If so, any ideas what?
I have to imagine that if Massdrop wants to release a more upscale amp, the idea of licensing another one of Cavalli’s designs is on the table. Makes sense for them to start at the entry-level market with the LCX though.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #2,820 of 2,966
I need some help and opinions. I just recently sold my LC 2.0. I had no issues with it during my short time with it. As I've been using it almost daily I guaranteed the recipient a working amp upon arrival. After the new owner gets the amp he tells me the SE inputs are faulty and only work on the left channel. I only used it balanced and was not aware of the issue. I offered to purchase and send the owner a pair of RCA to XLR adaptors. He refused and wants a full refund. What should I do? The amp technically still functions 100% with use of the balanced inputs or XLR adaptors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back