Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Mar 20, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #1,741 of 2,966
No worries. Have heard great things about the Tungsten from all my friends that have demoed it so far at CanJam SoCal. Cheers

Reading up on it now, but does OTL mean no balanced input typically?

Edit: I didn't realize there were that many approaches to OTL designs. To answer my own question it all depends on the design approach.

I talked to Alex about this earlier tonight. The short story is, if he made it balanced, there would have to be 8 tubes instead of 4, and the Tungsten is already pretty large. It would be unbelievably impractical from a size and tube matching standpoint, and he can do SE really, really well.

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #1,742 of 2,966
I talked to Alex about this earlier tonight. The short story is, if he made it balanced, there would have to be 8 tubes instead of 4, and the Tungsten is already pretty large. It would be unbelievably impractical from a size and tube matching standpoint, and he can do SE really, really well.

That's what I ended up figuring out after digging deeper. Differential OTL amps have a lot of challenges and require a huge amount of precision from what I gather. From what I hear when listening to the SE Input of the Liquid Carbon balanced Input is not a concern of mine (if it ever was). :wink: The man knows his phase splitters.

Thank you very much for asking Alex, really appreciate it!

:beerchug:

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #1,744 of 2,966
My son, @Rynsin, did some blind testing with folks at the Boston mini-meet yesterday. The compared balanced in vs SE input and no one could tell the difference. Hopefully he'll write it up in the mini-meet thread. Seems like balance would not really matter between a DAC and Amp.

Once I get the LC from him, I'm planning on running both balanced and SE from my Oppo HA-1 and switch between them to see if I can hear any difference. 

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,745 of 2,966
My son, @Rynsin, did some blind testing with folks at the Boston mini-meet yesterday. The compared balanced in vs SE input and no one could tell the difference. Hopefully he'll write it up in the mini-meet thread. Seems like balance would not really matter between a DAC and Amp.

Once I get the LC from him, I'm planning on running both balanced and SE from my Oppo HA-1 and switch between them to see if I can hear any difference. 

Out of curiosity I ran both a balanced and SE feed from my Apollo interface, and after some seamless AB testing I was unable to discern any difference.

I think those with a good SE source needn't fret (unless you are dealing with RF/EMI issues) :)

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #1,746 of 2,966
Soon to be (relatively!) first time owner of an LC.  Could you tell me what the requirement is for a power cord in the US?  Standard 115v with a 3 prong female?

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #1,747 of 2,966
  Soon to be (relatively!) first time owner of an LC.  Could you tell me what the requirement is for a power cord in the US?  Standard 115v with a 3 prong female?

I recommend any of these to impress your friends. 

http://www.dracoustics.com/en/product-category/power-cables/

Remember, size matters!

(or you can just use a standard three prong cable)

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #1,748 of 2,966

I recommend any of these to impress your friends. 

http://www.dracoustics.com/en/product-category/power-cables/

Remember, size matters!

(or you can just use a standard three prong cable)

Oh yeah, I use one of those Vulcan models to power my modified shop vac at home!  
biggrin.gif
  I'm the envy of the neighborhood.

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #1,751 of 2,966
Any word on what changes are being made to the second run of LCs?

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #1,752 of 2,966
Reading up on it now, but does OTL mean no balanced input typically?

Edit: I didn't realize there were that many approaches to OTL designs. To answer my own question it all depends on the design approach.

Most OTL amp use RCA inputs only.  The only way I've seen a balanced OTL is when its built in a dual mono design.  So I would ponder that Alex would have had to build is prototype with twice as many tubes as he currently uses, or even in a dual mono block design.  That would be a huge setup and and finding matched tubes extremely difficult.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #1,753 of 2,966
Lol! It's funny, I just answered someone's question about SE Input on the Tungsten, then found my own answer to the different OTL designs and implementations (which face a lot more overall challenges than I initially thought vs using transformers). I hadn't seen an OTL with balanced Input so I was simply wondering out loud. Thanks guys, I get it.

Back to the Carbon. :D

:beerchug:

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #1,754 of 2,966
Most OTL amp use RCA inputs only.  The only way I've seen a balanced OTL is when its built in a dual mono design.

Sorry to keep the thread even more off topic, but the Circlotron topology is another way to get a balanced OTL tube amp. Should be familiar to Schiit fans and in the speaker world I believe Atma-Sphere pioneered it's use for their designs. Tungsten looks like a push-pull design to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back