Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon 2.0 - Owners Impressions
Nov 3, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #31 of 233
Checking in my third LC thread...
My first 2 days with the 2.0 and I am very excited of what I am hearing.
When the Ether C Flow and Edition X V2 (replacement) arrive I will be able to post something more useful...

I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the EdX pairing, I already know how the LC is with Ether and Flow :)

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #33 of 233
I agree there is a severe lack of small balanced dacs on the market, especially ones that aren't $3000.

There is a small but somewhat cult following of the MHDT Labs (R-2R) dac line-up here on HF (including me).

Both the Stockholm 2 and Pagoda models are available as balanced.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/798259/mhdt-labs-r-2r-nos-tube-dacs

http://www.head-fi.org/t/730874/mhdt-labs-pagoda-any-owners-out-there

They are not inexpensive, but well under $3000.

-Eric

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #34 of 233
  Received my Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 a few weeks ago w/o the power cord.Anyone have any suggestions on super cheap cord options until I can afford the kimber kable?By cheap I mean a generic ac cord that will work(under $25) tx!!!

My 14AWG Belden cable works perfectly. Just get good plugs

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #36 of 233
So you tried the LC with the C Flows? How does it sound?

I think it's a great pairing. I like the slightly warmer sound the carbon gives to the Flow which is more neutral than the Ether 1.1. It really fits my preferences.

There is a small but somewhat cult following of the MHDT Labs (R-2R) dac line-up here on HF (including me).

Both the Stockholm 2 and Pagoda models are available as balanced.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/798259/mhdt-labs-r-2r-nos-tube-dacs

http://www.head-fi.org/t/730874/mhdt-labs-pagoda-any-owners-out-there

They are not inexpensive, but well under $3000.

-Eric

Those are good recommendations for sure, I tried a Pagoda and did like what I heard. I wasn't aware of the balanced models but I do see them on their website.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #37 of 233
Listening to my Carbon this morning with beautiful weather outside and open windows. Switched to my K501s and wow, the music is just flowing into me. The Carbon doesn't fix the 0 bass the 501 has but its so smooth up top I can forgive the bass getting out of the way for a little while.

k701smile.gif
​ Have a good weekend fellow carbon owners!

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #43 of 233
Hi LC2 owners, I have decided to unbox mine this afternoon and see whats what!

So, current setup is Sony ZX2>3.5mm>LC2>DUM 4 pin xlr>Ether Flow (its the only source I can use at this time)

ZX2 full of ALAC files, Red Book and Hi Res.

The LC2 & Flows are out-of-the-box, literally. Some initial thoughts I hope you can provide some feedback on.

• The LC2 gets quite warm. Its got plenty of space on the top shelf, I think it mentions this in the manual so can you confirm this is the case?
  • Regarding volume level, I have gain on high and set @ 12 o'clock for a reasonable listening level. its not loud. Does this seem right for the Ether Flows? ( I am wondering if this is because of the source I am using)

I will not make any critical comments re sound as everything is new. I will say from the few tracks I have listened too it does seem quite resolving and I can hear all the small background details very clearly.

Oh, I can report no problems with the unit. It looks very good, build is very solid.

I will let it play for a good few hours now and see what the difference is later.

All the best!

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #44 of 233

So, current setup is Sony ZX2>3.5mm>LC2>DUM 4 pin xlr>Ether Flow (its the only source I can use at this time)

ZX2 full of ALAC files, Red Book and Hi Res.

The LC2 & Flows are out-of-the-box, literally. Some initial thoughts I hope you can provide some feedback on.

• The LC2 gets quite warm. Its got plenty of space on the top shelf, I think it mentions this in the manual so can you confirm this is the case?
  • Regarding volume level, I have gain on high and set @ 12 o'clock for a reasonable listening level. its not loud. Does this seem right for the Ether Flows? ( I am wondering if this is because of the source I am using)

My LC2 gets warm but not hot.  I'd say it gets a bit warmer than my Modi Multibit, which I place on top of it with 1 inch spacers.

Using my balanced HD650's on low gain, I don't get past 9 o'clock.

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #45 of 233

It gets warm, but not what I would call "hot". I know that doesn't help much buy you're running it on a pretty high gain it sounds like so that will make it warmer too. With my DAC feeding the carbon via XLR in low gain, I can't turn it up with Ether further than about 11 and it's too loud for prolonged listening. My guess is your source might have fairly low output and causes you to need high gain setting at 12 o'clock volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back