Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon 2.0 - Owners Impressions
Oct 17, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #16 of 233
Information about Amarra is in post #907, of the main thread.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 233
I believe we (v2) owners will be receiving an email for a download to the new amara 4, which will be on both mac and PC... it was not available at the time of shipping.

Information about Amarra is in post #907, of the main thread.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. 

On another note... man, I really want to start yapping about this amp and have listened often throughout the break-in phase but not even halfway there yet so I will wait another week.

Dear DAC product owners engineers, something simple and with balanced outputs please, same width, twice the height, and slightly deeper... $999 MSRP :)

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #18 of 233
  Dear DAC product owners engineers, something simple and with balanced outputs please, same width, twice the height, and slightly deeper... $999 MSRP :)

biggrin.gif
  Lol, might find something here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/763905/finding-a-dac-for-the-cavalli-liquid-carbon-only-four-months-to-go/390#post_11706218

Oct 20, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #20 of 233
  I agree there is a severe lack of small balanced dacs on the market, especially ones that aren't $3000.

Yeah, I have covered most of the bases here and not had very good luck. First I had the NAD D1050, very promising and it is hooked up right now, but the silly "touch" panel power switch has been slowly acting more and more unreliably over the last year and now it just doesn't work 99% of the time... that and the very wiggly power jack for the wall wart power supply. I had just purchased the iFi iPower and some new balanced cables from Surf and only got to enjoy it for  a few days. The D 1050 is going into the dumpster, at least I enjoyed it for a little over 3 years. When it worked, a great balanced output DAC for $500. 

I also bought the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 a year ago. Same price point and balanced output, but USB was dead on arrival. I would have sent it back but at the time I only intended to use it with my TV so optical was good to go. Sound and features were great. Connected some JBL LSR305 on stands and had a great mini theatre room and used a headphone extension cable for movies whenever the rest of the house was too noisy or people were sleeping. Great solution. Only complaint, besides USB going haywire, is that the remote volume control is in such fine steps that it is not as practical as I would like for this use case, and it is hard to read the volume numbers from 8ft away.

So now I am awaiting a Audio-GD NFB-1 that I bought used from a forum member here, should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to it working reliably, sounding decent, and making good use of my nice balanced XLR cables to run the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Hoping this holds the line for at least a year while I wait for more new DAC options. I am really hoping someone does a great R2R DAC with no bells and whistles, just straight up first class decoding duties and a well implemented balanced output. A Gumby in a smaller form factor, in black, separate power brick if need be. I really do use these on my desktop and I don't want full size gear taking up so much space. Now I wait, and hope... :)

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #21 of 233

Yeah, I have covered most of the bases here and not had very good luck. First I had the NAD D1050, very promising and it is hooked up right now, but the silly "touch" panel power switch has been slowly acting more and more unreliably over the last year and now it just doesn't work 99% of the time... that and the very wiggly power jack for the wall wart power supply. I had just purchased the iFi iPower and some new balanced cables from Surf and only got to enjoy it for  a few days. The D 1050 is going into the dumpster, at least I enjoyed it for a little over 3 years. When it worked, a great balanced output DAC for $500. 

I also bought the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 a year ago. Same price point and balanced output, but USB was dead on arrival. I would have sent it back but at the time I only intended to use it with my TV so optical was good to go. Sound and features were great. Connected some JBL LSR305 on stands and had a great mini theatre room and used a headphone extension cable for movies whenever the rest of the house was too noisy or people were sleeping. Great solution. Only complaint, besides USB going haywire, is that the remote volume control is in such fine steps that it is not as practical as I would like for this use case, and it is hard to read the volume numbers from 8ft away.

So now I am awaiting a Audio-GD NFB-1 that I bought used from a forum member here, should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to it working reliably, sounding decent, and making good use of my nice balanced XLR cables to run the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Hoping this holds the line for at least a year while I wait for more new DAC options. I am really hoping someone does a great R2R DAC with no bells and whistles, just straight up first class decoding duties and a well implemented balanced output. A Gumby in a smaller form factor, in black, separate power brick if need be. I really do use these on my desktop and I don't want full size gear taking up so much space. Now I wait, and hope... :)

I have said the same thing, A Gumby that's even 2x taller and 1/2 as wide would be ideal. It sounds like you would want the metrum musette but alas no balanced out. Understandable because true balanced requires doubling many parts inside. There is also the new Gustard A20H which looks small-ish and the Aune S6 both using AKM dacs which I like.

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #22 of 233
The Musette is still high on my list even without the balanced output, but not high enough for me to plan on buying one quite yet. Have been looking at the Brooklyn as well, but hate the idea of paying for a bunch of features I don't really care about or plan to use. I do like Gustard, had the X12/H10 stack and thought it was a great value but looking for a clear step up from that with my next purchase.

Oh well, looking forward to getting the NFB-1 tomorrow and continuing the burn-in process for the Liquid Carbon. For my values/budget, the LC seems like it is going to be the perfect amp. I hope it finds the perfect mate in a DAC someday.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #23 of 233
Hey People,

After a burn-in of a week, started using the LC. First impressions on the LC - 

- Packs quite a lot of power for something that is quite small
- Delivery is very smooth and clear mids

The unit is very well designed and the quality is what we have come to expect from Cavalli. Still awaiting the  Amara license. Anyone got it yet?

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #24 of 233
  Hey People,

After a burn-in of a week, started using the LC. First impressions on the LC - 

- Packs quite a lot of power for something that is quite small
- Delivery is very smooth and clear mids

The unit is very well designed and the quality is what we have come to expect from Cavalli. Still awaiting the  Amara license. Anyone got it yet?

It does sound quite good doesn't it? I don't think the Amara stuff is quite ready yet we will be getting an email from Cavalli when it's ready to go.

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #25 of 233
Received my Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 a few weeks ago w/o the power cord.Anyone have any suggestions on super cheap cord options until I can afford the kimber kable?By cheap I mean a generic ac cord that will work(under $25) tx!!!

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #26 of 233
  Received my Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 a few weeks ago w/o the power cord.Anyone have any suggestions on super cheap cord options until I can afford the kimber kable?By cheap I mean a generic ac cord that will work(under $25) tx!!!

If you have plans to get a fancy cable anyway I'd just get any cheap IEC cable from Amazon, they're as low as $7.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #28 of 233
  Could I trouble you and ask for specific suggestions?I don't want to blow out my amp on the first go!Tx so much!~Fabiola

I'm using this one on my LC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UB4Y54/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #30 of 233
Checking in my third LC thread...
My first 2 days with the 2.0 and I am very excited of what I am hearing.
When the Ether C Flow and Edition X V2 (replacement) arrive I will be able to post something more useful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back