Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon 2.0 - Owners Impressions
Apr 7, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #137 of 233

Mojo works very well as a source for the LC. My friend uses it as a source for his LC.
His setups is
Mojo->LC->Ether Flow/HD800

Cool. In what way is that better than Mojo->Ether Flow/HD800?

The amp section of the Mojo does not have enough power to play those headphones to their fullest. Sure they sound okay straight out of a mojo but LC is on another level.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #138 of 233
Tx for your input.I appreciate it!If anyone else has experience with using the Mojo as a dac for the LC plz post.If you have experience w/the emotiva stealth I would also appreciate your feedback and if you have experience using BOTH w/the LC-even better.Tx again!!

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #139 of 233
  Tx for your input.I appreciate it!If anyone else has experience with using the Mojo as a dac for the LC plz post.If you have experience w/the emotiva stealth I would also appreciate your feedback and if you have experience using BOTH w/the LC-even better.Tx again!!

My LC should be arriving next week. I'll try Mojo as DAC and LC as amp for my LCD 3 and let you know the results.

BTW what headphone are you using?

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #140 of 233

The Mojo IS a headphone amplifier. Why would you want to daisy chain it with another headphone amplifier? The only rational reason I can see is that you want to introduce some pleasant distortion, like the kind a tube amp will (in that case get a tube amp). What is it about the LC that will make it and another pair of interconnects sound better than a straight Mojo? Is it possible that you intend to use a multi hundred $ device in a role where it achieves less than nothing?

Hey, there's no need in jumping to condescending assumptions.  You need to daisy chain the LC in any configuration since it doesn't have its own dac, I'm just curious how the dac in the mojo would sound.  Also, since the mojo has a line out setting it conceivably could be used solely as a dac for any headphone amp.  

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #142 of 233
  Hey, there's no need in jumping to condescending assumptions.  You need to daisy chain the LC in any configuration since it doesn't have its own dac, I'm just curious how the dac in the mojo would sound.  Also, since the mojo has a line out setting it conceivably could be used solely as a dac for any headphone amp.  

Believe it or not, then there are DACS out there that can not drive headphones on their own and actually NEED an external headphone amp to fulfill that purpose.

With respect to others, then I can understand the need for an LC if you have to play very loud. Just take care regarding how long and how loud you listen.  There is no point in audio equipment if your hearing is gone.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #144 of 233

Believe it or not, then there are DACS out there that can not drive headphones on their own and actually NEED an external headphone amp to fulfill that purpose.

With respect to others, then I can understand the need for an LC if you have to play very loud. Just take care regarding how long and how loud you listen.  There is no point in audio equipment if your hearing is gone.

The benefit of a dedicated amplifier is much more than just volume. You can get decent levels of volumes with the Mojo in virtually any headphone but some will sound okay(LCD 3, HD 800) and some will sound just plain bad(HE-6) no matter how much you increase the volume. Bass will sound floppy with no impact. Vocals will sound compressed. Soundstage will be suffocating at best etc. This happens because Mojo is unable to provide the necessary power required by the headphones in certain situations(LCD 3 optimally needs 1-4W at 110 ohm).
A amp really opens up the sound. This is why people chase after after different amps.

There is no way this can be true?!?!  I would have heard about this development by now, I'm sure!

Some DACs lack the power to properly drive high powered cans. You'll get the sound but it'll be very low even at full volume. Say Modi 2 cannot power cans like LCD 3. That said, you are correct that there's no DAC that you can't hear sound out of when an headphone is connected to the output.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #146 of 233
   but some will sound okay(LCD 3, HD 800) and some will sound just plain bad(HE-6) 

That is an extreme example to such an extent that it is almost completely irrelevant. For the HE-6 I would use something like a good speaker amp.

My point is that many people are likely throwing the baby out with the bathwater when they connect a LC to a Mojo. The Mojo is an extremely low noise and low distortion device. Adding a healthy dose of both before the sound actually gets to your ears seems counter productive.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #147 of 233

but some will sound okay(LCD 3, HD 800) and some will sound just plain bad(HE-6) 

That is an extreme example to such an extent that it is almost completely irrelevant. For the HE-6 I would use something like a good speaker amp.

My point is that many people are likely throwing the baby out with the bathwater when they connect a LC to a Mojo. The Mojo is an extremely low noise and low distortion device. Adding a healthy dose of both before the sound actually gets to your ears seems counter productive.

Mojo may be Low noise and low distortion but again it lacks power after all it's run by a battery. Not rocket science to understand. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #148 of 233
Mojo may be Low noise and low distortion but again it lacks power after all it's run by a battery. Not rocket science to understand. 

I'm a relative newbie here, but just to add my experience - I have a Mojo paired with an LC and love the sound. For ages I just ran the Mojo into my LCDfs, but the got amp-curious. I tried it first with an Audeze Deckard and found I lost a lot of the Mojo's detail in exchange for some added warmth...and for the price the benefits vs the loss of detail weren't anything like worth it. So the ad went back. Then I got an LC and I love it. The LC (on balanced XLR, not SE) keeps a lot of the detail - if I properly nit pick, and keep playing the same bits over and again I can just about detect some contraction in some bass notes, but it's so slight I don't care - but it gives a much wider sound stage to my ears. And so the impression of details/instrument separation increases. As I say, I have LCD2fs and they sound detailed but a bit congested off the Mojo direct, and a lot wider and a bit, well, sweeter, somehow, off the LC. So for me it's that the LC adds a tone and widens the ss in a way I really engage with. There's a very minor trade off with actual detail but worth it for the benefits in perceived separation and engagement for me.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #149 of 233
The DAC section of the Mojo is almost impossible to beat at $500. Mojo might very well be the best DAC in its price range.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #150 of 233
For sure -I've only tried a handful of DACs but the Mojo beat the lot of them hands down, and it's a keeper. I'm still not 100% sure why I enjoy it with the LC more than on its own...but I definitely do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back