Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Sep 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #1,906 of 2,306
I sure hope i wont have this issue,the vendor tested the tubes thoroughly and they were ok so we'll see i guess.
I'll let you know if i have the same issue.

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,907 of 2,306
Yes it is possible.  Consult tube experts though.  Some of the guys here have vast knowledge like Skylab.

I had a JJ tube doing the same dance.  High pitched, one channel.  Tapping and it disappeared.  New tube and all that went away.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,908 of 2,306
Alex Cavalli suggests trying tube dampers like these if you hear high-pitched sounds.

I also read this somewhere: Tube dampers are designed to cut down on filament rattles which is a mechanical effect that is amplified due to sound wave vibrations.

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #1,909 of 2,306
I used the tube rings from tube depot and never had the issue again. Then again, my low noise tested JJs never had that issue without them either.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #1,910 of 2,306
But these are supposed to be NOS and don't have that many hours on them.  Is that possible?

Correction to my last post:  tapping the 3rd tube silences the noise in the right channel.

Being a tube guy for many years, unfortunately this can be par for the course with tubes. I've had issues with many tubes over the years, luckily none with my LF (knock on wood).

The JJs are not known for being "robust". For a good and solid new issue tube, the Gold Lions are pretty good, but can't compare to my Mullard CV2492s or especially my Siemens E88CCs sonically.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #1,911 of 2,306
Listening to Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago.  A great companion to Kind of Blue.  The recording is so on that it sounds like you're sitting in.  Unbelievable sound stage that stretches clear out door!  I've got an Mercury issue from Japan around 1995.  Stellar.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #1,912 of 2,306
Quote:
Listening to Cannonball Adderley Quintet in Chicago.  A great companion to Kind of Blue.  The recording is so on that it sounds like you're sitting in.  Unbelievable sound stage that stretches clear out door!  I've got an Mercury issue from Japan around 1995.  Stellar.

LP, SACD, Redbook, Lossless? Source?

popcorn.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #1,913 of 2,306
Sorry,  Mercury JPN CD.  It came with mini lp treatment and must be one of the first for that.  I ripped it to file in lossless uncompressed and playback through Wyred4Sound DAC2

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,914 of 2,306
Quote:
Being a tube guy for many years, unfortunately this can be par for the course with tubes. I've had issues with many tubes over the years, luckily none with my LF (knock on wood).
The JJs are not known for being "robust". For a good and solid new issue tube, the Gold Lions are pretty good, but can't compare to my Mullard CV2492s or especially my Siemens E88CCs sonically.

Ok, well do you think that a good set of tube dampers will fix the problem, or are there some tubes that are just not salvageable (even if they're NOS Siemens which go for $250/pair)?

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,915 of 2,306
Quote:
Sorry,  Mercury JPN CD.  It came with mini lp treatment and must be one of the first for that.  I ripped it to file in lossless uncompressed and playback through Wyred4Sound DAC2

Nice...I am looking to upgrade from the DacMagic Plus...Looking at the W4S DAC2... I assume it is a keeper??

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #1,916 of 2,306
Quote:

Ok, well do you think that a good set of tube dampers will fix the problem, or are there some tubes that are just not salvageable (even if they're NOS Siemens which go for $250/pair)?

They can help (at least they don't cost much to buy). At $250/pair, they ain't cheap those Siemens tubes. But remember they were made in the '50s and '60s too.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,917 of 2,306
Look at it this way. Even after you buy a set of expensive tires for your much-ado-about-everything car, you still must slap on a few inexpensive weights to balance them out--make 'em work properly, yes?

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #1,918 of 2,306
Quote:
Nice...I am looking to upgrade from the DacMagic Plus...Looking at the W4S DAC2... I assume it is a keeper??

I have a DAC-2 myself and i could not be happier,it's not even broken in yet and the SQ is amazing,holographic like.
Plus you have like dozens of connections and it is future proof as the dac was designed to change the circuit boards with better and more state of the art ones.
So to sum it up,i would totally recommend this DAC,.
You can't go wrong for the price :wink:

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #1,919 of 2,306
Quote:
I have a DAC-2 myself and i could not be happier,it's not even broken in yet and the SQ is amazing,holographic like.
Plus you have like dozens of connections and it is future proof as the dac was designed to change circuit boards with better and more state of the art ones.
So to sum it up,i would totally recommend this DAC,.
You can't go wrong for the price :wink:

Thanks Freazy! I appreciate the feedback. I did get to spend a couple of hours with the DAC2  and my HD650's and I loved it. I am leaning really hard that way.

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #1,920 of 2,306
I shot some pics with my iPad from my new setup in action,pleasse don't mind the cables and other AV stuff.
My next purchase will probably be a VTI rack to put all my audio stuff in,that way i can tidy up all my cables and i can separate audio from video stuff (there's a true spaghetti war going on behind my my AV rack :D )

This gives a small idea how the units look like,they are in real life off course 10x more beautiful.
Hope you'll like the pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back