Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Oct 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #1,981 of 2,306
I'd like to clarify a little.

Each channel is a fully balanced differential amplifier. So the amp is not a bridged set of mono-amps, but a real diff amp (or pair of diff amps). Thus, each channel is a single board.

Gain switching is easy for a production unit. I expect that the enclosure itself will be the heatsink and I have mostly figured out this arrangement. Thus, the amp shouldn't be very tall, but this awaits final design and other considerations like the power inlet and volume control, etc.

Assuming that the proto performs as expected and that there is enough interest a production run could be made in the Spring.

longbowbbs the 30 hour days are getting longer.
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #1,982 of 2,306
Quote:
I'd like to clarify a little.

Each channel is a fully balanced differential amplifier. So the amp is not a bridged set of mono-amps, but a real diff amp (or pair of diff amps). Thus, each channel is a single board.

Gain switching is easy for a production unit. I expect that the enclosure itself will be the heatsink and I have mostly figured out this arrangement. Thus, the amp shouldn't be very tall, but this awaits final design and other considerations like the power inlet and volume control, etc.

Assuming that the proto performs as expected and that there is enough interest a production run could be made in the Spring.

longbowbbs the 30 hour days are getting longer.
confused_face(1).gif

Looks like dB said it was going to be a 2 box set up.  In your post it looks like it's going to be one big enclosure.  Which way do you think you all will go?

Where is the sign up sheet - I'm officially interested.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,983 of 2,306
I believe the proto that Don will be bringing could be a 2 box set, but right now I am envisioning the production amp as a single box. I believe it can be made fairly compact, but it won't be tiny. It will need a very good transformer and you will want some input switching. Plus enough metal for the enclosure to be an effective heatsink. All of these things take space. I will know more as we get further into the design. If there is more interest after RMAF we will start working more intensively on it.

Email to liquidgold@cavalliaudio.com

smile.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #1,984 of 2,306
alexcavallisnewwaytorapemywallet.avi

Quote:
I believe the proto that Don will be bringing could be a 2 box set, but right now I am envisioning the production amp as a single box. I believe it can be made fairly compact, but it won't be tiny. It will need a very good transformer and you will want some input switching. Plus enough metal for the enclosure to be an effective heatsink. All of these things take space. I will know more as we get further into the design. If there is more interest after RMAF we will start working more intensively on it.

Email to liquidgold@cavalliaudio.com

smile.gif

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,985 of 2,306
Listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis: the Virgin Definitive Remaster CD.  Man this is one dynamic recording!  All sounding incredible with the LF baby!  The bass is so well defined I can only wonder what LCD3's would be like here...............not that much longer. Seriously incredible listen!

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #1,986 of 2,306
Quote:
Listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis: the Virgin Definitive Remaster CD.  Man this is one dynamic recording!  All sounding incredible with the LF baby!  The bass is so well defined I can only wonder what LCD3's would be like here...............not that much longer. Seriously incredible listen!

Looking forward to RMAF so I can finally listen to a LF/LL/LG!  

popcorn.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,988 of 2,306
I haven't even left and it feels lighter somehow...
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #1,989 of 2,306
If anyone's interested, I've decided to sell my Liquid Fire.  It was a hard decision, because this amp has been so much fun over the past few months.  Unfortunately for me (and fortunately for whoever buys it), I just don't have enough time each day to listen to the amp.  It deserves a more dedicated owner--someone who will give it the time and attention it commands (and rewards).

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #1,993 of 2,306
I was also a first-time tube roller with those Siemens and the LF.  It's pretty straightforward, you can search Youtube for how to remove and install tubes.  Basically, just make sure no power cord is connected, wait until the tubes have cooled off, and slowly jiggle the tubes back and forth until they become dislodged.  When you put them back in, slowly rock them back and forth into place and then press firmly to make sure they're straight and fully inserted.

Just got a quad set of the Herbie's Audio Lab Ultrasonic SS tube dampers.  All I can say is...woooooweee!  The level of clarity is stunning.  My Siemens had been masked by a subtle layer of haze and a not-subtle microphonic screeching noise.  It's too early to know whether the screech noise is gone, but the level of openness to the sound reminds me of what the stock JJ tubes have, but everything else is better across the board.  

Seems my EAT Cool Dampers and cheap tube rings didn't do much at all, although I only had 2 of the EAT dampers.  For only $55 for a quad set, seems like the HAL dampers are money very well spent.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #1,995 of 2,306
I would wait to see whether you notice any fuzziness to the sound or microphonic ringing before buying dampers.  Based on my own experience, dampers might not even solve those problems if the problem is with the tubes.  If at all possible, have the seller test your tubes for noise levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back