Caught a mouse, what to do with it?
Sep 5, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #31 of 75
i didn't expect some of the responses to be quite this way. I never thought about release the little guy. Just as you won't hesitate squashing a mosquito.

Mice terrifies my family so I must prevent it's return (house is air tight so I don't know where it got in from). Plus killing it will help to control the population of these pests. They are getting more and more immune to our form of poison and they are gaining grounds in staggering numbers.

I am not killing this for my own pleasure.

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #34 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
If humans don't eat mice, and I don't know anyone who does, then we aren't their natural predators, and aren't upsetting any balance by letting them live or killing them. Killing them is only to cater to the cruelty of people, which we as a whole have in spades. There is no particular reason to kill it other than the desire to do so.

Let's see... mices and rats are proliferating in our cities because of the tons of garbage we're producing. We're feeding our cats and dogs way too much, so they won't even bother to hunt the mices, unless they're in the mood of playing. Beside humans, who will take care of limiting the expansion of rats and mices (and thus of the public health problems they carry) ? Cities are not the most welcoming grounds for the natural predators of the mices or rats. I see no big deal in killing a mice. Just do it clean and fast.

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #35 of 75
If you're still deciding what to do with the mouse at this point, then it might be too late. Although, my original vote would be for you to just eliminate the little sucker. It's a mouse, boo-hoo, go hug a tree if you feel otherwise
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #36 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille
well, first call pest control to see if there are more hanging about. sad to say, i'd go w/ the rat poison; you set it free, chances are that it'll come back.

I'm against poison for 2 main reasons:

1. Mice can die in unreachable places;

2. Mice and vermin pee all over the place uncontrollably, using posion would mean you're spraying rat posion all of you're living compartment (including the places where they get their food).

Anywho, I've had mice problems in the past (usually during winter when all the buggers find the nearest place for warmth) and I've never had a problem with a mouse re-appearing after I let it go. I suppose it's because they freeze to death outside, or they go off to a neighbor's, but some of the ways here of killing a mouse sound pretty depraived.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye

Try getting one of those traps that the mouse enters into one side and is flipped into the other compartment. They work, I've used them a few times and usually trap the mice whenever I put them out. Then take the trap a distance from your home and release. Not really a hard thing to do

I have used a similar trap where the lid closes behind the mouse and released a mouse back into the wild, I see no justification at all in killing a living creature when you do not need to. We (unlike the Romans) do not eat mice.

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #38 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
That's too messed up to even quote on so many levels. Firstly, that you think mice think like people, secondly, that you took zero measures with the pest control guy to mouse "proof" your house, and thirdly, that if you go through the trouble of glue paper, why not go through the trouble of humane traps? I'm not saying to let them go outside your door, but it takes just as much energy as a pellet gun, and minus the completely psycho element.

it was a story joke....I wish I really had that much time on my hands to even do such, plus shooting mice with guns was only cool when I was like 12.

we had a probelm in the garage and had Terminex people thingys deal with it..
never seen another mouse again in the garage but seen alot of crap and pee all over (it got that bad). still they were seaking warm place and food and honestly the garage had alot of holes and bird seed around to make a great hotel.

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #40 of 75
Put headphones* on it, put in a hip relaxing chair and as it starts to bob back and forth to the music - take a picture and put it on your avatar. Then you would be really cool.
cool.gif

* - preferably Stax

or... assuming this is not illegal...

Call Disney resorts up and tell them if they want Mickey back then they must send all the hi-fi audio equipment they have to you within 24 hours. You promise to return Mickey without harm.

On a serious note - I think killing a mouse in your home in the 1st encounter (the heat of the moment) is OK. Once captured, any torture is a little cold (not cool).

Sep 5, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Slide a piece of cardboard under the bucket. Pick it up carefully and turn it over. Take the bucket with the mouse to your neighbors house and set it on the porch. Knock on the door, kick the bucket and run

I once caught a mouse in a tall kitchen garbage can. It couldn't get out.
To humanly dispose of the rodent, I loaded the .22 rifle with birdshot shells and fired. Killed the mouse instantly, and ruined a tall kitchen garbage can.

rig the bucket so it opens when your neighbor opens the door. 0.22 rifles and pistols are fun to shoot.

Sep 6, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #42 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
People,................. we are talking about mice here. Pests, rodents, disease carrying vermin. I can sympathize with not hurting animals up to the point we decide that mice should be spared. Humans are one of mice's natural predators. It is our job to keep the population in check. We will never make them extinct, all we can do is keep the numbers in check. If we don't they will over run us. Or they will over run themselves and run out of food. I would say that starving to death is more cruel than killing them quickly. Saving a mouse found in ones house is more upsetting to the balance of nature than killing it.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

The point is you're supposed to keep a house that isn't a mouse resort to begin with. Failing that, the odd small mouse family can be safely removed and relocated with not much energy on your part and they don't even have to die. Everyone can walk away from the deal happy.

Anything more than that, and it's time to think about how best to end this little overpopulation problem. That will mean a quick end for them and some lifestyle changes for you -

But the point is you're not supposed to ENJOY it.
mad.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #43 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsione1
i didn't expect some of the responses to be quite this way. I never thought about release the little guy. Just as you won't hesitate squashing a mosquito.

Mice terrifies my family so I must prevent it's return (house is air tight so I don't know where it got in from). Plus killing it will help to control the population of these pests. They are getting more and more immune to our form of poison and they are gaining grounds in staggering numbers.

I am not killing this for my own pleasure.

Your house is not airtight.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back