Caught a mouse, what to do with it?
Sep 7, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #61 of 75
Sep 7, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #62 of 75
The best humane ways to keep numbers of mice in/around you're property down is to:

1) get a cat, preferably a younger cat or kitten as they have more energy and agility and will love catching mice and various other forms of vermin.

2) if you don't want a pet cat, get a ferrel cat for the sole purpose of keeping vermin levels down.

It may sound cruel to say have a cat and let it control the vermin problem, but cats are natural hunters although they will kill more than mice and rats given half a chance (my cat when younger, managed to kill a squirrel!!)

Sep 7, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #63 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsione1
Problem solved. I also set up mouse traps upstairs and haven't caught anything yet. So we are hoping this is the only mouse in the house and it came in with other people's belongings.

Btw, for mouse traps : peanuts work way better than cheese.

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #65 of 75
It's been a couple of days... is the mouse still around?

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #66 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
I see no justification at all in killing a living creature when you do not need to.

I found a rather large cockroach in my office this morning and spent a rather unpleasant 10 minutes persuading him/her (I dont know how you sex a cockroach) to shimmy under a glass tankard so I could set him/her free outside.

Ho Hum.

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #68 of 75
Quote:

I found a rather large cockroach in my office this morning and spent a rather unpleasant 10 minutes persuading him/her (I dont know how you sex a cockroach) to shimmy under a glass tankard so I could set him/her free outside.

Ho Hum.

It.
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #69 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
Yeah... cheese is useless. I've found that sliced bread rolled up in balls works well too. That centipede vid was grosss...but strangely fascinating. Hollywood should make a movie about it.

Hollywood has been making animations on mouse and cheese, it could be misleading for children.

Sep 7, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #70 of 75
This time of year in the northern hemisphere is when you are most likely to find a stray mouse in your home. The nights are getting colder, and the mice (as well as other critters and insects) are looking for a warmer place to move to.
My dog found a mouse in my house a couple days ago. She didn't catch it, but she kept informed of where it was. I went and bought traps today. Baited them with peanut butter and set them in a few places. I also purchased an ultrasonic pest chaser. Just plug it into the wall and it creates a "crsip clear loud ultrasonic sound" that is supposed to drive rodents away.
I'll plug it in when I leave for work tonight. That way, the dog will be at the babysitter's and the mice will have an empty house to run around in and dance to the ultrasonic "concert of sound".
biggrin.gif

I hope this thing works, and with the house empty the mice will find a way out.

Sep 7, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #71 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I also purchased an ultrasonic pest chaser. Just plug it into the wall and it creates a "crsip clear loud ultrasonic sound" that is supposed to drive rodents away.

We tried a couple of these - the persistent mouse droppings implied that they might not be all they are cracked up to be
plainface.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #72 of 75
I usually use glue pads or the normal mouse traps but recently I've tried those small hatch like things that tilt over and close automatically, trapping the mouse. They're way less effective but at least you don't have to kill the little buggers. I don't have that big a problem so I just run outside and chuck them as far as I can, but if they were a major problem I'd probably just put it in a plastic bag and smack it against the floor as hard as possible.

If you feel guilt just donate some money for the thousands of people dying needlessly around the world.

Sep 10, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #74 of 75
Quote:

We tried a couple of these - the persistent mouse droppings implied that they might not be all they are cracked up to be
plainface.gif

I don't know what to think. I did catch one mouse in a trap before going to work. I then reset the trap, plugged in the ultrasonic thing and left for 36 hours. When I got home, there were no mice in any of the traps, and I have yet to find any new droppings. I could have had just one mouse that came in on a cold night when the back door was open. Several years ago, we had just one mouse about this time of year. Never a sign of any more between then and now.

May 28, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #75 of 75
There was a youtuber who was an expert on mouse traps. He was basically a master of catching mice and showed ways of catching them.

Finally, in one of his videos, he showed that when you catch a mouse, you can actually eat it and he ate one.

Supposedly, mice taste very similar to chicken and on the video it actually looked like chicken meat. I’m willing to bet that if it’s fried, most people will actually like the taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back