Cat-Fi
Sep 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #257 of 1,402
For you cat owners around here. I have my tube amp very unstrategically placed by a window. Only real place I can have it on. As we all know cats loves windows. occasionally when I sit and listen to music I see a dark shadow approaching the tube amp. It´s more scary then any horror flick I ever seen! Sure they are very sure footed and do seem to take care not to touch the tubes but don´t want them there.

Now what scare tactics can you use. They are immune to yellng and just give this I am innocent look plus I don´t want to upset them when their up there.

Their second favourite position is on my warm bluray player... However totally uninterested in audio cables.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #258 of 1,402
I guess I'm lucky with cats.

Mai Tai showed a little too much interest in a dangling HD-800 cable, but is frighteningly obediant and took "no" seriously. I keep it coiled in an cat-unappealing way when not in use, just to make sure. Besides, Mai Tai is more interested in me while I'm listening, anyway. She wants to be held and petted. Birdie is very well-behaved, too. Birdie never messes with my stuff, but Mai Tai steals stuff of the desk and does some odd things. She will take things off the desk and carry them around. Pillows are dragged to different parts of the household, and Mai Tai thinks there's something behind the books in my bookcase, occasionally pulling them out or I'll see half a cat sticking out of the shelf. I have no idea why.

Anyway, I'd recommend a heating pad to keep cats put. I put them in baskets with old thrift store blankets over them. The best part is that the cats don't know they're being manipulated. They just have a nice, warm place to crash that they always go back to. Give some positive reinforcement, too. When they're in the basket, stop by for some pets and telling them how good they are.

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #259 of 1,402
try a product called "skat-cat" but not very nice imo. my feeling is that if one is going to have animals it is their home and no longer yours.
my many cats have damaged everything but not my audio stuff! whew, luck eh?

i wanted to post something i am elated about. i have a cat for three years that was terribly abused. she is petrified of being touched and ultimately will bite as hard as she can if a human presses the issue. tonight for the first time she let me groom her with almost no fuss! i am so happy for both of us. she is a birman/ragdoll. so you can imagine what grooming her would be like if she were cooperative. let alone not!

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #260 of 1,402
My cats has actually not been able to destroy anything. when they are in it´s just about only sleeping and eating it´s quite hard to get them going actually once they grew up. I guess all their energy goes for their hunting trips outside :)

That is another problem. They love to come in and brag about their catch. They do know I throw them out as soon as I get them so they often try to hide and eat them in some secluded place once they realized their misstake. They start to pin their legs faster when they noticed I see them lol

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #261 of 1,402
I keep my headphones out of reach when they're not on my head because Joannie the cat likes cords to chew on. She's done a number on my phone headset. Not so much the cord as the headset itself.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #263 of 1,402
i have a problem with fighting. well, it was not a problem until the two started hurting each other. i read most of what there is to read on the subject and i was not impressed with what it said. however i am taking those steps anyways. what do you guys do if any of you have this situation?

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #264 of 1,402
What relationship do your cats have? Are they related. I have a mother and her son. She wanted to push him away quite early to get independant I suppose. Got really frustrated because he is twice her size and owning her all the time.  We decided to keep the son because a mother daughter relationship was said to be even more problematic. Was really interesting to see how differently she treated her kittens. The son was allowed to do just about anything and her daughter wasn´t allowed to go anywhere :p

Never fought to the level of actually hurting eachother was more of a play fight on his side. 

We have the upstairs where the son is not allowed to go and they have learned to accept eachother decently the last years. Only time they are together is when they get food otherwise they really don´t care for eachother it appears though she is still giving him rats to chew.

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #265 of 1,402
they are not related. the one that was here first is twice the age of the larger one he attacks. this started recently. he was at the vet and they said he was healthy. i am worried because i read that can be a sign an older cat has a health issue. i just made an appointment to bring him again even though he was there 3 months ago. at his age things could change quickly. so i want to rule that out. i am separating them when i am not home. if i witness a fight i spray them with a water bottle. some people are against that but a human getting in the middle can seriously injure the human. plus then they both will not trust their human again. i am figuring the older cat feels the younger larger male is next in line to be alpha cat and he will lose his title. hopefully his health is still ok though. other than that all the websites basically have the same instructions for this issue. this is strange though because they show affection for each other for hours then all the sudden the bigger one gets attacked by the smaller one. i am sure their is a reason for this.even though i have kept cats for many years i am no cat behavior expert.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #266 of 1,402
he has a slightly elevated kidney level. he can live years if it progresses slowly. kidney is usually the demise of exotic cats. i hope he lives a lot longer. right now he is fine. however the vet told me that small change is most likely what triggered the fighting. i am going to offer him as much water as possible. he already eats one of the finest diets. she told me kidney food is actually much worse than what i feed. she will check him again in 3 months. she said it is very possible it will go back to normal since it was only a few points high which could even be the tests margin for error. meanwhile i am giving them both plenty of attention separately so hopefully they will not fight. the fighting was not a problem to me until there were very minor injuries. i am worried about worse injuries of course.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #268 of 1,402
bad kidney level is never a good sign. It can often go quite fast when they develope that issue :frowning2:

Maybe he is in some kind of pain. Cats try to do all to hide pain since it´s a sign of weakness so perhaps he attacks when it get to much?

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #270 of 1,402
Poor kitty. I hope he'll be OK.

One weird coincidence has turned up with Birdie. She's the gray tabby DSH who recently moved inside.

I like her because she reminds me of another gray tabby DSH I had - Ashley. Cancer got Ashley a few years back. But she had about 17 good years and lots of love.

I was set on finding another tabby until that little calico clown (Mai Tai) showed up. I love Mai Tai to pieces, but another tabby makes it even better.

To get to the point, Ashley was weirdly obsessed with my shoes. I'd come home and take off my shoes in front of her basket. She'd get out and stick her head into them for a few minutes. Bizarre, but hilarious.

Strangely, Birdie has taken more than a passing interest in my shoes. Birdie hasn't stuck her head in yet, but will hold and cuddle up with shoes, especially ones I just took off. Birdie seems to be acting more and more like Ashley. Other personality factors are similar, too. It's like having another Ashley around, which is wonderful. Add in that (highly lovable) Mai Tai oddball and I couldn't be happier. :)

Best of all, Mai Tai is just over a year old and I think Birdie is about the same. Lots of years and lots of fun ahead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back