Cast your vote: Pet Sounds vs. Dark Side Of The Moon
Oct 3, 2009 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
So which gets your vote?

beach-boys-pet_sounds.jpg
pinkfl-darksi_05.jpg

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 35
David, this is utterly arbitrary and absurd. You're comparing apricots and kumquats. Stop this nonsense immediately!

That said, inasmuch as I enjoy the arbitrary and the absurd at least as much as the average semi-literate iTroll (and we already know the predilections of this site), I'll be completely polemical in decisively proclaiming that it's no contest: Brian Wilson's penultimate swan-song is a stunning, varied, mature pop monolith. Dark Side is fine and all that, but it's still in the drawer with the tube socks. The lunatic is up my arse.

*Besides* that DSOTM-thingy would be a hundred-times better, if it were a swing album.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 35
Why so poll-y? That aside, you know my views on DSOTM, David.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadcykler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, Dark Side of The Moon, no contest. Of course it helps that I can't stand the Beach Boys.

I think that sums it up nicely for me...

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Floyd will win because this is Head Fi.

Of course. And since this is head-fi, and I'm a part of it, I'm unsurprisingly part of that majority.

That said, I don't really "get" pet sounds, possibly because I wasn't anywhere near close to being born when it was released, although neither was I for DSOTM and I think it's a classic.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 35
Tough call. And odd, because I just spun the DSoTM SACD and the Pet Sounds DVD-A the other night. I love both. But I voted for DSoTM because I've given it more spins over the years.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 35
Petsounds is a contender for greatest album ever, DSOTM was a fluke more than anything.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #13 of 35
The Dark Side of The Moon is in a class of it's own.

Pet Sounds is nice too; it's just the scope, sound, dynamics, texture and lyrics of the Floyd are more enjoyable in my opinion.

Oct 3, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #15 of 35
Soooo.... I put this thread up, and my opinion is probably not important........I expected DSOTM to win, though not by this much. Both albums make it to my top 5 or 6...... I voted for Pet Sounds......

Dark Side Of The Moon is probably the greatest album ever made and ever will be made in that it exemplifies what an album is. It isn't just a collection of songs, it is a piece of art just as a symphony isn't just one movement at a time, but an all inclusive statement. In addition Dark Side Of The Moon is sonically near-perfect and this makes it even more compelling.

So why did I vote Pet Sounds.......

Pet Sounds doesn't serve the purpose of an album quite as well as most Pink Floyd albums do. But it doesn't need to. Whereas I feel the experience of DSoTM is very reliant on the album as a piece, 6 or 7 minutes of any section of Pet Sounds is enough to understand that these songs are timeless, and arranged in a way which can never be duplicated. Not that I'm "old" at all.....I'm only 26, but as I grow older I become more and more aware how Pet Sounds is likely to be the one album I consistently need in my life......everything else has phases for me. Whereas Pet Sounds is filled with so much emotion. There is an emotional presence found within 20 seconds of Pet Sounds which I don't most other bands can match.......Even though I love The Beatles to death, I don't think any of their albums carry the emotional weight of Pet Sounds.

I actually put this poll up to inspire people who may otherwise not even be aware of just how special Pet Sounds is, that it could be put in the same sentence as Head-fi's beloved Dark Side Of The Moon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back