Cassette Walkman recommendations?
Mar 13, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #16 of 32
Hey Zowie, i spent that much on mine as well, it sounded amazing until the tape head starting acting up...puts out a screeching sound on tapes
frown.gif

I wouldn't mind fixing the damn thing so i can use it again, it sounds as good a midfi cassette deck!

Edit: i found the freq. response of my unit is 30-18,000hz

Mar 13, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #17 of 32
Mar 14, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #18 of 32
I would recommend Panasonic's top of the line non-sports model. I have last years model and it is wonderful. It's specs are 40-18,000 Hz with Normal tape. It has a remote and is made out of aluminum. The difference between this years model and mine is this year's model is thinner and more compact due to the fact that it runs for 25 hours on 1 AAA battery. And it sounds like a CD player with a higher noise floor. It retails for around $60. And it has full-logic tape control.

Mar 14, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #19 of 32
Sorry to say, but cassette walkman in recent years have received virtually no development
frown.gif
The slim Panasonic models for the past 3 years (SX91/71/41 for 99-00; SX87V/72/52 for 00-01; SX73/53 current lineup) are, IIRC, identical on the inside. They don't even bother to change the design around the "open" slider and the headphone jack, and the part is interchangeable between many of these models. I believe it's a similar situation with Sony models.

My picks tend to be Panasonics from the past. Their post-1998 models tend to feel muffled (I had to tweak the playback speed on my SX91), with very low amp output (1-2mW per channel). Sonys have much better anti-rolling in my experience (shock resistance). Higher-end Sonys no longer have a volume dial on the unit - they have a 3-step switch instead, might annoy if you don't want to use the remote.

I wonder if Violeta's talking about the series that runs on 1 AA battery, and not gumpacks. I bought a NX60V once, but sold it on eBay an hour later because (a) it only accepts type I tape, and (b) its FF/REW is very slow. Since top-of-the-line models are becoming cheaper every year, I'd suggest buying those - unfortunate that Panasonic no longer officially imports the best models.

Mar 14, 2002 at 12:49 PM Post #20 of 32
Yeah, I have the RQ-NX60V. Although, I have a feeling that it puts out more than 1-2 mV of current. I would say more around 5. But there is a replacement model that takes 1 AAA battery available. I saw it in the store where I bought my walkman as a floor model. And this store doesn't do importing.

Mar 15, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
Sorry to say, but cassette walkman in recent years have received virtually no development
frown.gif
The slim Panasonic models for the past 3 years (SX91/71/41 for 99-00; SX87V/72/52 for 00-01; SX73/53 current lineup) are, IIRC, identical on the inside. They don't even bother to change the design around the "open" slider and the headphone jack, and the part is interchangeable between many of these models. I believe it's a similar situation with Sony models.

I would agree with you, in Chinatown i used to see ~$200 walkmans 2 or 3 yrs ago, they all have vanished now and are replaced with cheap ~$100 walkmans.

frown.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #22 of 32
That EX20 cassette walkman is SONY's 20 anniversary model which sound like a crap, but not that crap as those even newer ones such as EX910,EX2000... Actually those 40-18khz frequence range is nothing but a *********,because without a +/- range, I can say my 20bucks worth cassette play with a 20-20khz but maybe it will +/-60dB
very_evil_smiley.gif
actually I remember that an old Panasonic cassette player SX33? rated with a range 25-30khz or something like that, wow!!! just another ********* rating
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 5:52 AM Post #23 of 32
The standard on cassette deck ratings is +-3 dB. I can tell you my Panasonic doesn't sound like ****. Even though it is a type I player only it has high frequency response similar to that of a CD. You just don't like tapes. Oh, and by the way, most portable CD players are only +- 3 db also.

Mar 15, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #24 of 32
But those are just standard for deck. There is never any cassette walkman can be rated in such a tolerance range.I have test a lot of walkmans such as my old SONY's two-head player EX999, the playing frequence range in 0dB level, the-3dB point is less than 10kHz, even in -20dB level, it can reach far less than the 18kHz as it was rated, so who knows those frequence range is rated under what condition.

Mar 15, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #25 of 32
Well, maybe the Sony's suck, but you can't make generalizations based on one brand only. Like I said before, I have no doubt in my mind that my Panasonic can reach 18,000 Hz.

Mar 15, 2002 at 9:23 AM Post #26 of 32
The practical upper frequencty response limit for cassette is 15KHz due to the limits of the tape speed. That's still an amazing response for a medium that was originally designed for dictation, back in the late '70s, early '80s, there were a few double speed recorder/players that offered extended response, but that was when CD was really taking off and development slowed to a backwards crawl on cassette.

It is not currently capable of absolute head to head competition with CD. It was never intended to be that good anyway. A good record deck using good blanks can still make some fine sounding tapes, but we're not talking redbook audio quality here. I believe that MD is superior, although I am not that familiar with MD.

Of course, MP3, well maybe at some super high bit rate.

Anyhow. Audio Cassette is still a fine medium. You just have to learn to live with it's limitations. A portable playback device is not going to sound as good as a stationary home deck. Playing a tape on a machine other than the one it was recorded on is not going to sound as good. Slight head alignment differences, microns, make a difference in thae sound.

Portable, well, you aren't going to be listening under the most ideal conditions, so just enjoy the music. Don't get so wrapped up in the equipment. The music is all that matters, and if it actually sounds good, under the conditions you're most likely to use it, then, What's The Problem?

Besides, I've really got to wonder about ant deck that's using a single AA or AAA battery to drive a tape transport and the audio output electronics. Somethings really got to suffer there.

Mar 15, 2002 at 9:25 AM Post #27 of 32
The practical upper frequencty response limit for cassette is 15KHz due to the limits of the tape speed. That's still an amazing response for a medium that was originally designed for dictation. Back in the late '70s, early '80s, there were a few double speed recorder/players that offered extended response, but that was when CD was really taking off and development slowed to a backwards crawl on cassette.

It is not currently capable of absolute head to head competition with CD. It was never intended to be that good anyway. A good record deck using good blanks can still make some fine sounding tapes, but we're not talking redbook audio quality here. I believe that MD is superior, although I am not that familiar with MD.

Of course, MP3, well maybe at some super high bit rate.

Anyhow. Audio Cassette is still a fine medium. You just have to learn to live with it's limitations. A portable playback device is not going to sound as good as a stationary home deck. Playing a tape on a machine other than the one it was recorded on is not going to sound as good. Slight head alignment differences, microns, make a difference in the sound.

Portable, well, you aren't going to be listening under the most ideal conditions, so just enjoy the music. Don't get so wrapped up in the equipment. The music is all that matters, and if it actually sounds good, under the conditions you're most likely to use it, then, What's The Problem?

Besides, I've really got to wonder about ant deck that's using a single AA or AAA battery to drive a tape transport and the audio output electronics. Something's really got to suffer there.

Mar 15, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #28 of 32
To violeta88

I did tested some cassette walkmans from panasonic such as sf99,sx72, but all the results are even worse than that of SONY's EX999,which is fitted with a unique 2 head system in a player. So don't believe that statistics on manual, they are nothing. If you really like cassette, go to ebay for a SONY's DD9 or D6C etc, those are the quite fabulous cassette walkman.

The Pana's new gear sounds more clearer than those SONY new pretty crap just because they have less boosted and extended mid-bass which may make the hi sounds even dull, actually, if use an equlizer to cut off all signal under 250hz as more as possible, the sony's high freq sounds still a little stronger than those pana's. I think their different sound cause by the different EQ in head amplifer instead of by those statistics.

To Gaineso

mostly agree with you, the limitation of the cassette could make me still happy with most of pops and some rocks, but annoys much in classics, especially the narrow dynamic range. And those one AA battery and say 60-100?hours running time mechanisms do suck the last little water held by those poor cassette mans.

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #29 of 32
I had an old Sony cassette walkman back around '92 and it sounded great. It was bulky rectangle shaped black plastic encasing with minimal features (buttons/switches). If I ever find it, probably stuck somewhere in the basement, I'll go over it with you guys.

Mar 15, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #30 of 32
I've got an old, 1991, Aiwa HS-T50 "Stereo Radio Cassette Player". All black plastic. 4.5 X 3.6 X 1.5 inches, 11. 1 onces with batteries, Alkalines, and tape.

It takes 2 AA Alkalines. Runs 4 or 5 hours playing tapes and 7 or 8 playing FM. 5 Presets AM&FM, Clock, 3 band EQ including adjustable "Super-Bass", Auto-reverse, Normal/Chrome switch.

Drives HD600's to ear shattering volume with a bit to much distortion. At 85db "C-Slow" it's clean with beautiful clear highs and deep tight bass. Barometer Soup as a test tape. At my normal listening levels, below 80db, it's at least as good as my big Kenwood 103CT home deck.

KSC35's and KSC50's were apparently designed, engineered for this unit. They sound better than from my Kenwood pcdp/TA combo. Really awesome.

But, as I stated earlier, it's 2 AA's and they don't last too long. No problem though because I've got 12 Panasonic 1600 mah NiMH's that I got at Costco for 6 for $12.95. Best price by a bunch anywhere.

I think what we're all seeing is the fact that the older portable units, all media, were actually built better, possibly cheaper materials, but better QC and design. Not designed for battery life, but more for better audio quality. Bigger, bulkier, better sounding. The new stuff is tiny, light and the batteries last. Sound quality is about 8th on design criteria, if that high. As long as it's still under a pound, I don't have a problem carrying it and the sound quality is definitely worth it.

BTW, this thing's been in a box in the attic for 4 years, and I got it down last week after some posts about cassettes on this forum. No specs or manuals. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back