Cassette Walkman recommendations?
Mar 6, 2002 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Bhasi

New Head-Fier
Sorry to be so lo-tech, but I'm keen to use my Etymotics+AirHead to listen to cassette audiobooks on the London Underground, cassettes having the obvious advantage for this purpose - apart from increased availability and choice - of allowing you to start up again exactly where you stopped them last. (CD is still great for things like the Naxos set of Shakespeare's sonnets, but longer works demand an earlier technology, I think!)
So are there currently any stand-out recommendations, especially for durability and compactness? All help gratefully received.

Mar 7, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 32
Try looking at something from panasonic or sony. It seems like they are the only companies still making slim-line, "high-end" walkmans. but they are pretty hard to find.

Mar 7, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 32
I agree with RRX, but test the unit before buying, some of those slim line models sound very dull and lifeless (at least that i tried).

The slim lines can sound very good though, if you find a nice one, i'm sure their are some shops in London that still carry some imported from Japan.

Mar 7, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 32
Hiya Bhasi,

Tottenham Court Road has to be the place to look (Or, Edgware Road...) - I would personally steer clear of Panasonic tape players, they are far too bass even without S-XBS on...

If you get chance to go down one of the roads mentioned above, try looking for Sonys anniversary model - Its a couple of years old, but i'm sure its still there, and a lot cheaper than when it came out... that is one sweet player
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 32
Sony Sports Walkman's are certainly durable but not as compact. I find them having mimimal flutter in tape playing and the sound is good for voice. Currently I'm using the WM-FS220 which also has excellent FM sensitivity and very good AM sensitivity. This version doesn't have auto-reverse nor Dolby B.

Mar 7, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 32
A compact portable cassette player made out of stainless steel with good DAC, uses AA batteries, line out, only mechanical play, stop, pause, rewind, fast forward, metal/normal switch, and open buttons would be super nice. Is there such a thing?
(no dolby or auto Sony noise reduction stuff)

Mar 7, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
A compact portable cassette player made out of stainless steel with good DAC, uses AA batteries, line out, only mechanical play, stop, pause, rewind, fast forward, metal/normal switch, and open buttons would be super nice. Is there such a thing?

Why would you need a good DAC, or even a lousy DAC, on a cassette player??

Am I missing something?

Besides, composites are stronger, lighter, and cheaper to fab than stainless steel.

Mar 9, 2002 at 6:51 AM Post #9 of 32
@ Bhasi-I would DEFINITELY recommend the WM-FX195 walkman from Sony. Doesn't eat up batteries like other walkmans, has an AM/FM dial, and a stainless steel-type lid. Just add a good pair of portable headphones (the ones that come with the walkman are way too bright) with good bass (e.g. the Koss KSC 35, Sporta/Porta Pro, KTX Pro-my #1 choice), and you'll be good to go!!

Mar 9, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me

All the models that have these kind of features have NR, but it shouldn't be auto. Good luck finding one, they seem to be scarce even in Chinatown!

Plus, the thin/compact models use a gumstick

Mar 12, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #14 of 32
Kickus
Thanks for the link. This must be the model Duncan refers to above. Looks very promising indeed.
Haven't made it to the London shops yet, but am in China for work from Friday onwards, so will definitely try to look for this in HK and elsewhere (as well as, of course, the Shanling CD-T100, Opera 20, etc., etc.), time permitting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back