Cassete adapter vs. Radio transmitter
Jun 19, 2008 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

oregon

100+ Head-Fier
I have an iPod and Sansa that I want to use with my car's stereo. How do Cassette adapters and Radio transmitters compare in terms of ease of use and sound quality? pricewise? What do you think is better?

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 19
The cassette adapters totally trump the FM transmitter dongles. No contest.

If you're going to use MP3 players in your car a lot it's best to just hack in an auxiliary 1/8" jack if your car stereo doesn't already have one.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 19
I took my iPod with me from San Diego to Santa Barbara and bought an FM transmitter the day I left for the trip because I had no thread like this one to tell me to get a cassette adaptor.

I spent so much time dicking around with changing FM channels by the time I got to SB, I just listened to the damned ****ty LA stations on the way back rather than getting through 3-4 tunes and having to change transmitter channels again and again.

Bleh! That's a big statement for me too, I hate SoCal radio for the most part.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 19
Cassette adaptor will give you the best quality sound. If you have an Audio input on your stereo, you can consider the DLO Transdock. It is the best of all the fm transmitters, but, it also has an audio out built in. I have one because I dont have a tape deck. I like it because it holds and charges the ipod at the same time. Having said all that, I would have gone with the tape adaptor if I had the option.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 19
Why is the Transdock the best of all FM transmitters? Based on sound quality or functionality?

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixcinater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent so much time dicking around with changing FM channels by the time I got to SB, I just listened to the damned ****ty LA stations on the way back rather than getting through 3-4 tunes and having to change transmitter channels again and again.

Bleh! That's a big statement for me too, I hate SoCal radio for the most part.

Geez. What kind of music do you like? Indie 103.1 is one of the best alternative stations around. We've got a fantastic jazz station at 88.1, classical at 91.5 and I love the NPR stations, 89.3 and 89.9. 88.5 and 88.9 are terrific college stations. I agree the rest is mostly awful, but I jump around these stations and always find something I like in the LA market. YMMV, of course, but didn't want everyone to think this is a complete wasteland.

As for the OP, get the cassette adapter. FM transmitters don't cover the entire 20Hz-20kHz spectrum, so you lose a bit at the top and bottom. Also, reception from inside the car isn't always so great.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is the Transdock the best of all FM transmitters? Based on sound quality or functionality?

I said it was the best based on the research I did when I had to buy one. My Lady wanted to use her ipod in her car. no input, no tapedeck, so fm transmitter was the only option. I researched like crazy. Read lots of reviews, lots of opinions of people who used it. while transmitters are never Fantastic, this one rated highest in sound quality as well as functionality. it actually does a lot of cool crap if you have a video ipod. has a usb connection so your kids can watch a movie on the laptop, and hear it through the car stereo. anyway, you can read about it on their website. I got it because of its high rating in sound quality. again, converting your music to an fm signal is one of the worst things you can do if you want it to sound good.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 19
If you don't need the usb, but still need an FM transmitter, I'm finding the latest belkin tunebase with clearscan pretty good. Would prefer line-in, but can't with the stereo in my current car.

And the latest version does have a line-out, so I can use it for a charging dock when I finally get a stereo with line-in...

Kent

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 19
The FM transmitter I bought was nothing but trouble. Cassette adapters don't use batteries, and you don't have to fight with them when coming into town.

Getting the FM transmitter to work in the Chicago area is a joke...

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The FM transmitter I bought was nothing but trouble. Cassette adapters don't use batteries, and you don't have to fight with them when coming into town.

Getting the FM transmitter to work in the Chicago area is a joke...

Agreed!! Transmitters work for S--- in Chi-town. Any larger city really. No good.

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #11 of 19
that pretty much settles it then, thanks for all the input.

so is there much variety in cassette adapters? should I just go with the cheapest or look for a high quality one?

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oregon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that pretty much settles it then, thanks for all the input.

so is there much variety in cassette adapters? should I just go with the cheapest or look for a high quality one?

While I can't point you to the best tape adapter available, I can say that I've found a *large* difference in sound quality between the handful that I've tried. I highly suggest doing some research, or, at the very least, purchasing from a reputable brand.

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trastan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I can't point you to the best tape adapter available, I can say that I've found a *large* difference in sound quality between the handful that I've tried. I highly suggest doing some research, or, at the very least, purchasing from a reputable brand.

Thanks, that's what I will do.

Jun 20, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 19
You might want to consider replacing your car radio with one that has an aux input. I got a nice Panasonic with remote control and aux input for $130. I've wrestled with FM transmitters. In urban areas there are interference problems as mentioned. The iRiver AF100 transmitter had a strong signal -- no fading issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back