Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 18, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #2,221 of 2,728
According to this thread, Cascades are the best basshead headphones ever made. But I'm a basshead and Cascades have a very very aggressive bass for me.
I had them for a while too, but didn't like them at all. Even if I would consider myself a bass head. They really sounded like cans to me.

I also own the LCD2C and I take them to listen to focals, but they don't really satisfy my bass needs :smile: also the slam is not very clean.

You can try out the Fostex headphones, I own the TH900, 600 and 610. If you want to go for a more budget friendly version, you can try out the JBL Club One. I rarely see any reviews on them, but they are one of my favorite headphones. They hit hard, go deep, are a little bit dark, but nowhere near as the Audioquest Knighthawk and mid/highs are fine too. Only thing compared to the Fostex they are lacking is the last 10% detail retrieval.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #2,222 of 2,728
Any dubstep or 140 fans in here? Hard to listen to the genre on other cans.

40cK1cs.jpeg

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #2,223 of 2,728
Mar 24, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #2,224 of 2,728
Hi everyone!

After enjoying my Cascades for several years I finally came to the cable upgrade hell to tame The Bass a little bit and open up mids/highs + also add more juice from SE -> 4.4 BAL switch :)
Now I'm torn apart between several Lunashop-made cables as I had good previous experience with this company and their price/performance ratio is stellar.

Could you please help me to make a choice between these?
  • LN007450 - braided 4-core shielded 99% pure silver inside + OCC SPC outside wrapped with black nylon, best aesthetics, the cheapest of three
  • LN006807 - non-braided non-twisted "old school" 99.997% pure silver litz, probably the best sound quality, looking quite bulky for portable use though
  • LN006117 - "modern look" 4-core braided shielded pure silver in TPU wrapping, nice look but probably too thin and fragile for full-size HP
Thanks a lot!

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #2,225 of 2,728
Any dubstep or 140 fans in here? Hard to listen to the genre on other cans.

40cK1cs.jpeg

Even if don't find the headphones too uncomfortable, it is clear to me that they can be more comfortable, because of the hot spot on top of the head, which is a sensible spot...

I have bought the Dekoni nuggets, and I most probably will place them like yours. I have doubts about use two, like yours, or three nuggets on top, following the more broad part of the headband...

Have you noticed any improvement with the nuggets? I have doubts about how long will they keep being foamy enough... Do they last for a while?

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #2,226 of 2,728
Hi everyone!

After enjoying my Cascades for several years I finally came to the cable upgrade hell to tame The Bass a little bit and open up mids/highs + also add more juice from SE -> 4.4 BAL switch :)
Now I'm torn apart between several Lunashop-made cables as I had good previous experience with this company and their price/performance ratio is stellar.

• LN007450 - braided 4-core shielded 99% pure silver inside + OCC SPC outside wrapped with black nylon, best aesthetics, the cheapest of three
  • LN006807 - non-braided non-twisted "old school" 99.997% pure silver litz, probably the best sound quality, looking quite bulky for portable use though
  • LN006117 - "modern look" 4-core braided shielded pure silver in TPU wrapping, nice look but probably too thin and fragile for full-size HP
Thanks a lot!
I guess the change from SE to balanced alone might bring the biggest "improvements", not so much the change from pure copper to silver plated copper (LN006117) or pure silver (LN007450, LN006807) - that is just my opinion:wink:. But the price/performance ratio from Lunashop seems really good for all 3 cables. You sould pick the one thas is visually appealing the most to you (I would pick LN006807). Do you use stock pads or already tried XL or cloth replacement pads? That could tame the bass for you.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #2,227 of 2,728
I guess the change from SE to balanced alone might bring the biggest "improvements", not so much the change from pure copper to silver plated copper (LN006117) or pure silver (LN007450, LN006807) - that is just my opinion:wink:. But the price/performance ratio from Lunashop seems really good for all 3 cables. You sould pick the one thas is visually appealing the most to you (I would pick LN006807). Do you use stock pads or already tried XL or cloth replacement pads? That could tame the bass for you.
Thanks! I'm still hunting for XL pads, they aren't easy to buy locally and shipment from ALO shop to Russia is actually more expensive than pads themselves.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #2,228 of 2,728
Thanks! I'm still hunting for XL pads, they aren't easy to buy locally and shipment from ALO shop to Russia is actually more expensive than pads themselves.
I totally get your point, I also had to order them from ALO recently (shipping + customs/VAT), since nobody had them in stock in EU. I also ordered the cloth one too, this might tame the bass the most, but both are too new to make an educated comparison. But I just love the magnetic pad retention system of the Cascade, just a breeze to change them in seconds.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #2,229 of 2,728
Hi everyone!

Thanks a lot!
Before doing that I suggest you visit any local store and try a pure silver cable with the Cascades. I've recently bought the last XL pads in Moscow =) They're worth it. You should order them. That's so sad ALO doesn't include XL pads with Cascades. Stock pads are horrible.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #2,230 of 2,728
Before doing that I suggest you visit any local store and try a pure silver cable with the Cascades. I've recently bought the last XL pads in Moscow =) They're worth it. You should order them. That's so sad ALO doesn't include XL pads with Cascades. Stock pads are horrible.
So you own both cable and XL pads now? :) Maybe we could meet then so I can test these before pulling the trigger)

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #2,231 of 2,728
BTW, for me, Audirvana did a great job. With this player, I found a much better sound quality, especially in lows. I'm not sure about the portable version, but it's great on macOS.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #2,232 of 2,728
So you own both cable and XL pads now? :) Maybe we could meet then so I can test these before pulling the trigger)
Nope, I own SXC 8 only with XL pads for now, but I'd like to switch to pure silver cable too. I hope, I'll try one this weekend somewhere.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #2,233 of 2,728
Even if don't find the headphones too uncomfortable, it is clear to me that they can be more comfortable, because of the hot spot on top of the head, which is a sensible spot...

I have bought the Dekoni nuggets, and I most probably will place them like yours. I have doubts about use two, like yours, or three nuggets on top, following the more broad part of the headband...

Have you noticed any improvement with the nuggets? I have doubts about how long will they keep being foamy enough... Do they last for a while?

Nuggets are still foamy and bounce back pretty well. I do find the cans more comfortable now. I can go for a lot longer listening, prior to the nuggets I topped out at 45 mins or so.

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,234 of 2,728
I've just bought Dekoni Nuggets and I wanna say they did a great job. I use just 2 of 4 pads. Thanks for the advice guys!

BTW, after about 260 hours sound has been changed again. The tube effect has been reduced and overall clarity has been raised a lot. I really hope that's headphones not my ears. :beyersmile: Looks like a new recommendation for newbies is insane 250 hours. :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back