Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Apr 4, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #1,591 of 2,728
I’m thinking of getting an S3 for my ZMF Headphones, I had the Draug 2 when I had the hd800, loved it!
Have you tried Zach's 2K cables? Sounds great and looks amazing!

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #1,592 of 2,728
Have you tried Zach's 2K cables? Sounds great and looks amazing!

I have the Michanikós (sp?), and love it, just wondering about the sound of a pure silver cable.

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #1,595 of 2,728
I'd say that the Cascades get 90% of my headphone usage at home (music, movies, games where I don't need/want a mic), with around 6% of my usage to the Aeon closed (audio/video editing), and the rest of my home usage split between the Vegas (rarely used at home, mainly for commuting/subway) or Sennheiser PC350SE (used when headset/mic is needed for games or phone/video calls). I probably could edit audio using the Cascades, but putting on the Aeon kind of puts me into work mode. HA! For me, the Cascades out of the box had the perfect highs and lows, that makes everything a joy to listen to. My only gripe is that they don't isolate that well, but given that they are meant to be a portable headphone, that makes sense. With any luck the new, larger earpads that are supposed to be out soon will add a bit more isolation. If not, I'll still get them for the comfort factor (the cups on the Cascades don't leave much, if any, room for my ears), although I'll probably start looking for a headphone with a similar sound but with better noise attenuating/isolating qualities.

You can't really go wrong with the CFA Cascade if you like a "V" shaped sound.

How is the imaging and soundstage for gaming

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #1,597 of 2,728
Do you think the dekoni nuggets could fix the hot spot on the head band? I got 8 pieces
Excellent question. I got 4 for this purpose but never got to actually try them yet.
If that solves the problem for you - please post photos of where exactly you ended up attaching the nuggets.

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #1,598 of 2,728
Apr 9, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,599 of 2,728
Excellent question. I got 4 for this purpose but never got to actually try them yet.
If that solves the problem for you - please post photos of where exactly you ended up attaching the nuggets.
Oh man I'm only asking because I want to know if it does fix it I will buy it. Cant help you , I'm in a blind spot . Though if I do get it in the future I will post an update here .

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #1,601 of 2,728
I'm about 10 minutes in to listening with the XL pads. First impressions are 1: they're extremely comfortable. 2: they aren't as sexy as the originals. 3: the soundstage is bigger? I think. I'm out and about and only have the cloth pads for comparison but Astral Weeks by Van Morrison sounds very open.

Apr 9, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #1,602 of 2,728
I got this headset yesterday and Im not pleased at all, the sound signature is extremely similar to my sonys mdr -1a , but those cost a fraction of what the cascade does. The cable feels and look like wet newspaper, a far cry from what Im used to by campfire with their earphones.

Also, whats up with the fabric on the headpieces? Im I supposed to remove them? Because they look terrible, badly glued .

Look at this.

LAKHxkK.jpg

yAyZE0X.jpg

Im regretting this purchase, I dont hear at all what you guys hear.

Maybe different pads will magically change the sound to something worth of its price. So far this is a sony mdr -1a in disguise that cant hold a candle to the 900mk2.

I used the hugo2, mojo and the decamp L1, didnt make a difference.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #1,603 of 2,728
I got this headset yesterday and Im not pleased at all, the sound signature is extremely similar to my sonys mdr -1a , but those cost a fraction of what the cascade does. The cable feels and look like wet newspaper, a far cry from what Im used to by campfire with their earphones.

Also, whats up with the fabric on the headpieces? Im I supposed to remove them? Because they look terrible, badly glued .

Look at this.

Im regretting this purchase, I dont hear at all what you guys hear.

Maybe different pads will magically change the sound to something worth of its price. So far this is a sony mdr -1a in disguise that cant hold a candle to the 900mk2.

I used the hugo2, mojo and the decamp L1, didnt make a difference.
Ruling out burn in, which is definitely a thing with Cascade, you may want to reach out to CA to see what they have to say on the matter.

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #1,604 of 2,728
More and more, I believe that the dramatic difference in perception of quality for headphones has to do with A: experience of previous headphones and B: what sound characteristics a person is seeking to hear. These two have a direct and immediate impact on how a new headphone is perceived, good or bad.

In my case, I no longer care about one of the most commonly talked about sound characteristics: the frequency lean (bass heavy, bright, neutral). I care almost exclusively about transient response, and secondarily about volume dynamics.

It's gotten so severe for me that I'm almost not noticing whether headphones are bass heavy, bright, or neutral. I now have to consciously stop and tell myself to listen for the frequency lean in order to hear it.

Which makes me a little weird, I guess, hahaha.

Which is a long winded way of saying, if you're not liking the way a headphone sounds when some other people do like it, it's possible that there's a sound characteristic you're looking for in the headphone that others aren't prioritizing as high, and probably also something about the sound characteristics you don't prioritize very high that others are looking for and find in that particular headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #1,605 of 2,728
More and more, I believe that the dramatic difference in perception of quality for headphones has to do with A: experience of previous headphones and B: what a person is seeking to hear. These two have a direct and immediate impact on how a new headphone is perceived.

In my case, I no longer care about one of the most commonly talked about sound characteristic: the frequency lean (bass heavy, bright, neutral). I care almost exclusively about transient response, and secondarily about volume dynamics.

It's gotten so severe for me that I'm almost not noticing whether headphones are bass heavy, bright, or neutral. I now have to consciously stop and tell myself to listen for the frequency lean.

Which makes me a little weird, I guess, hahaha.

Which is a long winded way of saying, if you're not liking the way a headphone sounds when some other people do like it, it's possible that there's something specific you're looking for the headphone that others aren't, and probably also something about the sound characteristics you don't prioritize that others are looking for and find.

I understand your perspective and think I tend to lean that way too with the exception of the fact that for me detail is king so when one of those frequency leanings starts obstructing detail, then I notice it very quickly. The more I listen though, the more I agree that transient response is huge in making any sound reproduction system sound lifelike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back