Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
May 3, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #1,036 of 2,728
Mine arrived yesterday, I'm in the UK and ordered from Ears Unlimited in the Netherlands - very friendly and fast free shipping.

I am really pleased with them, I had 2 main concerns before buying - comfort and vocals.
Currently I use Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 around ear for portable and previously had B&W P7.

The Momentums are quite comfortable but the pads are a bit small which causes me some pain after around an hour. The p7 had better pads but high clamping force and the headband hurt the top of my head after only 20 minutes or so.
The Cascade pads are fantastic and fit around my avarage sized ears easily, the clamping force is similar to the momentums and much less than the p7. The headband is softer than the p7 so while I can feel it it caused me no pain last night after 3 hours of listening.

I like the overall sound of the Momentums but wanted a little bit more bass and they generally sound a bit flat and muffled. The p7 had much better clarity and was more fun with amazing bass, but... the vocals sounded so weak I just couldn't live with them - combined with the comfort issues.
The Cascade has fantastic bass like the p7 which is a bit more than the M2 but the vocals sound so rich and full too, the detail and clarity is a a big step up over both Momentum and p7 as expected.

So overall they are exactly what I was hoping for, the bass can boom a little so hopefully that will calm down after more burning in.

The way I would describe them is they make my music collection sound like it does in my mind, previously I found most songs especially from my teenage years don't sound as good as I remember - finally they now do.

May 3, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #1,037 of 2,728
My experience with the Cascade pretty much parallels what I went through with the Dunu DK-3001 IEMs—the audio quality is stellar, but I struggled with the comfort.

The extra headband cushion idea is helping a little, but it’s not a solution that will work for larger heads. I’m somewhat fortunate that the headband still fits my noggin when extended to the max after installing the extra cushion, though, so if this resolves the comfort issues over the long haul, the Cascade will be my go-to headphones for sure.

May 3, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,038 of 2,728
Okay, so I received them and so far they're actually rather comfortable, compact and they sound really really good. They have a lot of bass like I've expected, the mids, while maybe a little bit recessed sound very nice and detailed and highs are not piercing at all, which is really important to me.

Now, this might seem like nitpicking but, one side of the headphone clicks when put into place, the other side is quiete so I wanted to ask you all, do have the same "issue"? I'd love if the Cascades either click on both sides or make no noise on both sides, but again, just nitpicking.

May 3, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #1,039 of 2,728
Okay, so I received them and so far they're actually rather comfortable, compact and they sound really really good. They have a lot of bass like I've expected, the mids, while maybe a little bit recessed sound very nice and detailed and highs are not piercing at all, which is really important to me.

Now, this might seem like nitpicking but, one side of the headphone clicks when put into place, the other side is quiete so I wanted to ask you all, do have the same "issue"? I'd love if the Cascades either click on both sides or make no noise on both sides, but again, just nitpicking.

Mine have like a dulled click on both sides when adjusting the sliders, no noise when rotating or tilting. Also both sides have a bit of a rattle where the sliding parts join the head band, not noticable when they're on though.

May 4, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #1,040 of 2,728
Received mine today from their May batch. Initial impressions echo others in the thread. They're tuned much like the Vegas. For my ears that couldn't keep the IEMs in no matter what I tried, this was a joy to listen to. Still in the process of breaking in, but already hearing a tighter sound after about 8 hours. I went through the same process with the Vegas as well.

I have no issue with the comfort, clamp force is surprisingly good but not too tight. My head is small so no adjustments to the band.

May 4, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #1,041 of 2,728
So, after a bit more listenting, they really begin to grow on me. What was almost too much bass at first now feels more or less neutral or rather natural so to speak. They're just fun, really fun. I will post a lot more detailed impressions very soon, but for now I wanted to ask, what on earth do the filters do exactly now? Some say they prefer the Cascades without any filters at all, some say they like the 4T filters and so on.. from the description of the manual I read that the higher the filter-pore-count the lower the bass and midrange.

Is that correct? Does anyone have further impressions regarding the filters, which one do you use (or don't) and why?

May 4, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #1,042 of 2,728
I owned the PM3s sometime ago, and with all the speculation about the Cascade's comfort, I found the PM3s very uncomfortable due to the shallowness of the earpads; seemed more on-ear than over-ear.

May 4, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #1,044 of 2,728
Does anyone know when they’re currently shipping out? The site still says May 1st but it also says that the Cascades are currently on back order.

If they're not all gone already, they should ship more or less the same day. I ordered them about a week before the first of May and they shipped them on exactly May 1st. Where did you find the information which says they're on back order, because their official site states "In stock"

May 4, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #1,045 of 2,728
If they're not all gone already, they should ship more or less the same day. I ordered them about a week before the first of May and they shipped them on exactly May 1st. Where did you find the information which says they're on back order, because their official site states "In stock"

Oh it looks like I just had to clear my cache as my browser was loading a saved version of the site. It shows that’s theyre currently in stock for me now too, thanks!

May 4, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,046 of 2,728
Does anyone know when they’re currently shipping out? The site still says May 1st but it also says that the Cascades are currently on back order.

May want to call them. I ordered Wednesday and they shipped same day, but I don't recall seeing out of stock anywhere when I ordered. Not sure if what your seeing means they've gone through the 2nd batch already.

Also, just want to post quick impression. I only got about 20 minutes or so with them yesterday, but I am extremely grateful for this site. From the little that I heard, these are tuned perfectly for me, which I was pretty confident in just based on the thorough, detailed reviews here. To me the bass is not extremely emphasized, but it is certainly present and articulated. Again, only 20 minutes of sampling through some lossless tracks. Probably better for me to just stick to the basics right now. The build is solid and for me and my skinny head, they are quite comfortable. I didn't wear long enough to test for dreaded hot spot, but I can't see that being a problem with the way these fit me. I like how thin and flexible the stock cable is for portable use, but do think I'll end up getting a longer, higher conductor cable for sit down sessions. All of the sound impressions will likely change over time, but I wasn't stunned by the sound stage out of the box. Instrument placement and separation were both very clearly defined, I just didn't get a very wide stage. I realize closed cans narrow the stage, but I expected a little more air in there from the reviews. This also is not a big deal to me, as consistent placement and separation are much more important to me.

May 4, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,047 of 2,728
Well I made the jump! After all the comparisons to the Vega’s sound, I couldn’t resist. I recently bought the Vegas and although I absolutely loved the sound, I’m more of a headphone kinda guy. I did overnight shipping so hopefully I’ll be able to post some impressions tomorrow!

May 4, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,048 of 2,728
I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this but, I wanted to ask, do you guys think that the Cascades are priced fairly? I know they have costly drivers, are built like a tank and they have real leather earpads, but still... Maybe some of you guys can add anything to that! =)

May 4, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,049 of 2,728
Can anyone describe where & how to correctly insert the filters? I have a pair here for a review and would like to see how much of a difference the filters can make.

May 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #1,050 of 2,728
Can anyone describe where & how to correctly insert the filters? I have a pair here for a review and would like to see how much of a difference the filters can make.

You just have to put the filter over the driver in the little recess on the headphone itself, not the earpads. Keep in mind, the bottom filter on the earpads itself is fixed and you shouldn't take that one of. I'd love to hear some impressions you get using the filters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back