Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Apr 17, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #901 of 2,728
It's pretty good, but nothing stellar. It's missing some subbass presence that I love on the Cascades. In all, it's nothing to rave about but it is significantly better than the aeon closed. The aeon open is def more mid bass centric as a warmer can.
The open version is Aeons above the closed version, ahem.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #903 of 2,728
Thanks for the tip...

Really liking the Cascade so far - no burn in needed to appreciate the addictive quality. It just makes you want to listen to songs all the way through without skipping. The bass is seriously tremendous, so authoritative and deep. Everything else bows down in comparison. I actually don’t have much experience with bass heavy headphones like Beats. I guess I see the appeal now. The closest I guess is a VModa from years back but they were sludgy and muddy.

I also find them very comfortable. I am getting used to the fit. I like that it’s so compact and not cumbersome.

edit:

Spent a couple of hours with the Cascade tonight and it’s progressing into the realm of awesomeness. It’s a great sounding headphone - rich and vivid and immersive.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #905 of 2,728
For sake everyone. I'm an Audiophile who loves bass without sacrificing mids & treble. I'm especially into sub bass. Y'all are brutal to my wallet in your enthusiasm!

Once you hear the Cascade bass there’s no turning back. And no worries - mid range and treble are nicely presented and of high quality.

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #906 of 2,728
Once you hear the Cascade bass there’s no turning back. And no worries - mid range and treble are nicely presented and of high quality.

It's actually the mids that get me excited about the Cascades. The bass is big and fun but the mids have that nice quality that makes me lose myself in the moment.

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #907 of 2,728
Just got the tour pair of the Cascades and will be trying with my iDSD Micro Black Label (which is one of my favorite pieces of gear ever. So freaking versatile and sounds great with about everything!).
Agree about the iDSD BL; it's a stellar piece of gear. I haven't tried the Cascade with mine yet because it sounds spectacular with the ALO V5, which makes me think the Cascades really like tubes... the V5 tames the treble a bit and just lets the Cascades shine.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #909 of 2,728
What amp/dac are you pairing with your edition x v2?
Truth be told, I'm not using the Edition X V2 much lately (contemplating selling), but the best pairing for me has always been the WA8 Eclipse (Audirvana+).

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #910 of 2,728
I began my audio journey 2 years ago. Many different pieces of gear went through my hands/ears during that time but nothing impressed me like Cascades did. Absolutely wonderful. ZX300 + rHead + Cascade = :)

They really like additional power. Sound great straight from a DAP but with external amp... Speechless.

Good job Campfire Audio - kudos from Poland.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-19_10-35-58.jpeg
    upload_2018-4-19_10-35-58.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #911 of 2,728
I began my audio journey 2 years ago. Many different pieces of gear went through my hands/ears during that time but nothing impressed me like Cascades did. Absolutely wonderful. ZX300 + rHead + Cascade = :)

They really like additional power. Sound great straight from a DAP but with external amp... Speechless.

Good job Campfire Audio - kudos from Poland.

That is an awesome combo.

My journey began gathering the hardest hitters in the hobby and made the list in my sig. Biggest bass headphone thread on the net. Gave up the idea of a dynamic giving me the bass I need that is actually in the master like Doobie brothers "Takin it to the Streets". Forget basshead, just the bass that is mastered in.
4 string bass guitar that is hitting on all strings and resonating, plucks,pulls,taps.....aaaaand have good mids like any speaker gives because the mid driver is totally physically separate from bass driver. These give me bass that is supposed to be there and my O.C.D with mids is totally fine. Took me 4 years in this hobby to spot these. Hard azz shell material with a coating known for bass and mids and treble all being there. rhb (?) had a set but build was craa and support is zero.
These are like a dream come true.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #912 of 2,728
That is an awesome combo.

My journey began gathering the hardest hitters in the hobby and made the list in my sig. Biggest bass headphone thread on the net. Gave up the idea of a dynamic giving me the bass I need that is actually in the master like Doobie brothers "Takin it to the Streets". Forget basshead, just the bass that is mastered in.
4 string bass guitar that is hitting on all strings and resonating, plucks,pulls,taps.....aaaaand have good mids like any speaker gives because the mid driver is totally physically separate from bass driver. These give me bass that is supposed to be there and my O.C.D with mids is totally fine. Took me 4 years in this hobby to spot these. Hard azz shell material with a coating known for bass and mids and treble all being there. rhb (?) had a set but build was craa and support is zero.
These are like a dream come true.
Hawaiibadboy - Hi there! I have been following and reading your post for a while now, and I think we like the same kind of sound sig. I am in the market for a hard hitting closed back, with all the other goods (mids, and wide soundstage especially). I am looking at used Fostex th900's or a new Cascade. Any chance you could recommend one over the other? Thanks for your time!

Wes

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #913 of 2,728
Hawaiibadboy - Hi there! I have been following and reading your post for a while now, and I think we like the same kind of sound sig. I am in the market for a hard hitting closed back, with all the other goods (mids, and wide soundstage especially). I am looking at used Fostex th900's or a new Cascade. Any chance you could recommend one over the other? Thanks for your time!

Wes

TL/DR CASCADE

I owned the TH900 and the treble was off. It is pretty much a "V" sig. 10Khz is a freq range where IEM and sometimes maybe closed back have a peak that gives a psycho acoustic sense of space.
Like putting an eq notch on a studio tuned set at the end of the fundamental bass range before harmonic stage (exactly there) to give an illusion of space between kick drum and bass guitar which occupy same freq at the same time. It should not really work but it does trick the brain and pro's use that and the 10Khz trick...which is not what Fostex did with the TH900 I had and they desperately needed that because of the elevated bass .
Bass was great, mids are dipped and treble is odd.
Collectors item for the guy who has money to burn. Not a set for critical listening or long term relaxed listening.

Cascade all the way.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #914 of 2,728
The Cascade is simply a great headphone. I've had it only a week but my appreciation grows with each day. The only Fostex I have experience with is the TH-X00 and there is no comparison. The Cascade kills it but I guess you would expect that given the price.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #915 of 2,728
The Cascade is simply a great headphone. I've had it only a week but my appreciation grows with each day. The only Fostex I have experience with is the TH-X00 and there is no comparison. The Cascade kills it but I guess you would expect that given the price.
You could factor in price too. The X00s are child labor TH-600 which MSRP was over 1k and that was a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back