Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Aug 28, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,291 of 2,728
Must be all that NYC summer humidity :).

On the serious side, I haven't had that issue with mine.

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #1,294 of 2,728
How do you put the headphones on your head? Looks like the lohb strap would be stretched to the max before the cups are far apart enough from each other to put on my head. I've tried this is an hifiman edition x v2 strap and coming into this issue.
Yes you'll need the extended headband from Campfire Audio if you have a big head or leave the Lohb strap a bit longer, but then you'll have less or no suspension

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #1,295 of 2,728
Yes you'll need the extended headband from Campfire Audio if you have a big head or leave the Lohb strap a bit longer, but then you'll have less or no suspension
I know Ken has mentioned building an extended headband but what this ever completed?

Currently on my cascade I have the Hifiman Hex suspension strap but initially I couldn't fit the headphones on my head with it on. The strap would extend fully before I could ge tthe cups around my head. I then extended the strap to be a bit longer but as you said, there is no suspension now. No gap between the strap and the headband, which makes it kind of pointless.

Don't know how I can fix this atm.

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #1,297 of 2,728
So now I have the cloth pads for a few weeks, but in the end I changed back to the leather pads. Why? There are a few points:
First off, the pads are IMO as comfortable as the leather pads BUT they do scratch a bit my skin (I don’t know which material they are made of, but it’s a bit strange feeling on my skin and I don’t like that).
Then there is the attenuated mid bass, which helps with clarity but it’s maybe a bit too well done because I can’t feel the bass anymore and there is no fun anymore in listening to rock and EDM music (and where is the fun in that?) I know I know, „critical listening“, but I don’t need that. Also the upper mids are too harsh for me now, even with filter 4. plus points: clarity, soundstage, imaging. But at the cost of a correct timbre. The cloth pads bring sounds to the foreground that IMO shouldn’t be there. It’s just a bit too much. Of course the leather pads don’t have a correct timbre too because of the boosted mid bass, but at least the rest is for me correct enough to have fun when listening.
So a pad in between would be the best for me I guess. Maybe Dekoni Audio can build that? :wink:

I really like these headphones very much. When I get a DAP with EQ I would use the cloth pads again and dial up a bit the subbass, dial down the upper mids, then maybe they are prefect.

Sep 4, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,298 of 2,728
Hello guys - first of all, sorry for my english - i need some help - i want to use the Cascades with my iPhone through FiiO Q1M2 as a DAC and FiiO A5 as an amp - is it good setup for them or not? In terms of driveability, sound and so on?

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #1,299 of 2,728
Hello guys - first of all, sorry for my english - i need some help - i want to use the Cascades with my iPhone through FiiO Q1M2 as a DAC and FiiO A5 as an amp - is it good setup for them or not? In terms of driveability, sound and so on?
Your english is fine! -- The cascades are easily driven by just about any smartphone on the market and so your setup will power them just fine with some room to spare. Sound quality is too subjective to comment on but I am a fan of both the Q1MK2 and the A5!

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,300 of 2,728
Your english is fine! -- The cascades are easily driven by just about any smartphone on the market and so your setup will power them just fine with some room to spare. Sound quality is too subjective to comment on but I am a fan of both the Q1MK2 and the A5!
Thank you! And between FiiO Q5 + A5 + DT 1770 Pro and that setup - what would you choose? I heard they are pretty similar

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #1,304 of 2,728
You heard as in you listen or you heard from someone else? DT1770 is nowhere near the cascade.
Well, someone in this thread said that they have some similarities in general - citation: "Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - First off, yes I know - not even slightly portable between their size and 250ohm rating, these are a use them at home with an amp proposition only, having said that, they are also the closed back I judge all else by. Sound wise, The 1770 has great bass extension and good control. What differentiates it from the Cascade is the transition from bass to mids. The 1770 is very clean in the transition with minimal bleed into the mids where the Cascade is a much more gradual transition with significant bleed-over. Mids are
similar in that both are slightly laid back and warm presentations. Treble is the typical "Slap in the face" of most Beyers and is much more prominent than that of the Cascade. For those that like a bright signature, the Beyer may be enjoyable but for those that are treble shy,
the Cascade will be a better option as it is much less fatiguing for long listening sessions. Soundstage is also much larger on the 1770 as it is 2nd only to the 1540 in overall size and a bit more evenly shaped as the 1540 has good width but the 1770 outclasses it in depth and
height
."

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #1,305 of 2,728
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to chime in here on a couple of things that folks are bringing up some good points.
  • The headband has a strip of spring steel in it, you can physically bend the head band to make the headband clamp harder OR lighter, you can bend the headband to change the shape of the curvature of the headphone to better suite your head. Please experiment with this. Dont worry if you break your headband (not possible) we have replacements. The cool thing about the Cascade is its fairly modular.
  • If your sliders are not staying, meaning they no longer stay in the position you have set. Please PM me so I can look into your situation and have your set serviced. Were here to help, we do not have a huge staff here so we appreciate your patience. For instance, JD and I are leaving for Germany tomorrow so I will be out of pocket so to speak for a week. Were doing a lot of travel these days sadly.

• We found that if you like a flatter frequency response, or one that has less mid and low sensitivity, remove the white dampers. Please do so carefully so you can re apply it if your not happy with this tuning. I have few guys here in the shop that prefer no dampers, so both cup windows are fully open.
Hope this help and thanks for all the posts here.

Cheers guys,

ken

I have removed the white dampers and trying it out now. quite nice.

Low gain with Amp 4 on the DX200 with amp 4 is quite nice. ALO SXC-8 cable 4.4mm

still deciding> I have tried so many configurations. Like after removing the white dampers tried putting the different black ones in the top and bottom ports.

C9629FC4-0417-45F4-89DF-BE0608345DBA.jpeg

I have removed the white dampers and trying it out now. quite nice.

Low gain with Amp 4 on the DX200 with amp 4 is quite nice. ALO SXC-8 cable 4.4mm

still deciding> I have tried so many configurations. Like after removing the white dampers tried putting the different black ones in the top and bottom ports.

—————————-

Original and now aged review:
http://www.headpie.net/2018/03/campfire-audio-cascade-headphone-review.html?m=1
(Also in the Head-fi review section).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back