Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Apr 12, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,862 of 2,728
If you enjoy the Vega or Atlas by CFA and you want a headphone, the Cascade is great! I personally prefer my IEM’s on the go and a full size non portable ZMF at home. I sold my cascades to fund my ZMF purchase and while I don’t regret it, I still think the cascades were an excellent headphone although a bit too boomy for my preference but you liked atlas so over the edge you go! Have fun!

Appreciate the responses (to you and above!) I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and buy new, though would have loved to have given them a test drive, but with COVID right now the store is shut and they are still fulfilling online orders. I guess either they will work for me or they will be getting sold pretty quickly haha.

Admittedly when I auditioned the Atlas I had trouble getting a good fit with the eartips that I was using, but was still able to get a good enough sense of them.

I started with IEMs but find that despite my best efforts, my ears don't work the best with them, and I've been enjoying full size headphones more. I have the Atticus and have for a while.. they are awesome for certain kinds of music, but specifically for drum and bass I feel like I can do better, hence the ask about the Cascade. The fact that they are portable "enough" is fine by me as I will be using them 80% at my desk at home versus 20% out.

Fortunately the Adi-2's and AP80's build in equalization can help me fine tune some of the boomyness if there is any. What really is key for me is bass response, clarity and speed, as well as smooth but not too overpowering or piercing highs, so hoping the Cascade will be a step up from the Atticus in this regard.

BTW, which ZMF did you end up going with in favor of the Cascade?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #1,863 of 2,728
Appreciate the responses (to you and above!) I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and buy new, though would have loved to have given them a test drive, but with COVID right now the store is shut and they are still fulfilling online orders. I guess either they will work for me or they will be getting sold pretty quickly haha.

Admittedly when I auditioned the Atlas I had trouble getting a good fit with the eartips that I was using, but was still able to get a good enough sense of them.

I started with IEMs but find that despite my best efforts, my ears don't work the best with them, and I've been enjoying full size headphones more. I have the Atticus and have for a while.. they are awesome for certain kinds of music, but specifically for drum and bass I feel like I can do better, hence the ask about the Cascade. The fact that they are portable "enough" is fine by me as I will be using them 80% at my desk at home versus 20% out.

Fortunately the Adi-2's and AP80's build in equalization can help me fine tune some of the boomyness if there is any. What really is key for me is bass response, clarity and speed, as well as smooth but not too overpowering or piercing highs, so hoping the Cascade will be a step up from the Atticus in this regard.

BTW, which ZMF did you end up going with in favor of the Cascade?

In terms of turning boominess down , the cloth pads also do pretty well! I’m not exactly a drum n bass listener but the few songs I listened of calyx and teebee or pendulum, I never felt like cascade wouldn’t follow.

Today I have a ZMF Verite closed which I find to be the best I’ve heard but it’s all personal preference.
In terms of difficulties with in ears, I know what you’re saying. I have such tiny ears and ear canals even audiologist said certain custom IEM’s with multi ba (more than 3) are out of the question.

recently I got a Technics Tz700 and couldn’t be happier.

anyway not to derail , I think you’ll be happy with the cascade and cloth pads clean up the sound and make it less boomy

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #1,864 of 2,728
Love my cascades. I want the cloth earpads but campfire don't deliver to the UK :frowning2:

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #1,865 of 2,728
Just received mine!

Lovely headphones, and the many comments I've read about them being built to last a lifetime are all entirely true, amazing build quality and great materials and design.

I had every intention to burn them in before listening to them at all but I did sneak an hour in with them last night and I definitely think they will quickly see lots of time on my head.

I can see how the cloth pads would add an extra layer of comfort and I may jump for those in a while. The cable to me seems about 4 inches too short.. small gripe, otherwise the quality is there.

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,866 of 2,728
Just received mine!

Lovely headphones, and the many comments I've read about them being built to last a lifetime are all entirely true, amazing build quality and great materials and design.

I had every intention to burn them in before listening to them at all but I did sneak an hour in with them last night and I definitely think they will quickly see lots of time on my head.

I can see how the cloth pads would add an extra layer of comfort and I may jump for those in a while. The cable to me seems about 4 inches too short.. small gripe, otherwise the quality is there.
Glad that you like them! I personally really enjoy the XL leather pads with no filters because I like the extra room for the ears. Either way, you can't go wrong with whichever pad. Looking forward to your thoughts on them.

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,868 of 2,728
Does anyone have any options for longer cables? I'm not a cable guy, I'm just looking for more length, nothing too expensive as I just don't care lol The stockers are way to short.
I can't really seem to find anything.

You could always use a 3.5 extension cable. Otherwise you'll need to get a custom cable made as the Cascade connectors are not exactly commonplace.

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,869 of 2,728
You could always use a 3.5 extension cable. Otherwise you'll need to get a custom cable made as the Cascade connectors are not exactly commonplace.
The Cascade uses the same connectors as the Sennheiser HD800 so it's not hard to find cables. They are just a little more expensive.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #1,871 of 2,728
I ended up finding a set of new stock HD800 cable for dirt cheap! in the mean time I'm just was using the extension but it gets caught on the side of my PC. The sock cascade length is pretty much exactly the worst possible length lol. Same as the Sundara's I have, awful cable but they are easy to find and everywhere being a 2.5mm. it's funny how cables can just piss you off... My Clears cables are like trying to wrangle a cat, what was Focal thinking? The are sooooo stiff and 8000 feet long lol.

Apr 20, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,874 of 2,728
Can anyone comment on where to be able to get a lohb strap? I noticed that there have been some sold on Ebay, but can't find any currently. If anyone has suggestions please send them my way. Although the cascade are fairly comfy, I think a strap could do wonders for the top of my head and provide a bit better fit all around.

Apr 20, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #1,875 of 2,728
Can anyone comment on where to be able to get a lohb strap? I noticed that there have been some sold on Ebay, but can't find any currently. If anyone has suggestions please send them my way. Although the cascade are fairly comfy, I think a strap could do wonders for the top of my head and provide a bit better fit all around.
I got the one on ebay. Not sure if there's any of those left but just gonna warn you that it's been almost 2 months and I still haven't gotten mine lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back