Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #1,546 of 2,728
Gaming.

Hmm, this is the same conversation I am having with myself at the moment.

For a looonng time I have been using
Console - Optical Cable — Victor SU-DH1 dolby amp — ATH-A900.

The Dolby amp is kind of old tech now (but does not mean its bad).

Last few days been trying new set ups

Battlefield V (3D setting).

Console - optical cable - iFi xDSD - FiiO LL44 adapter — ALO SXC-8 cable (4.4mm) and Campfire Audio Cascade headphones. (Stock pads, filter 1).

————————————-

Still playing around and trying to get the ideal synergy and sound I am after.

*I use closed cans so as to not annoy my sleeping family.
Sweet setup , how do they sound for gaming . I too need a closed back headphones for gaming because I share my room with my twin bro. I was thinking this or the meze 99 classics.

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #1,548 of 2,728
I don't want to sound crass or invalidate anyone here but using the amplifiers and the Cascade headphones noted above for gaming just seems ridiculous. That's the most Overkill we could possibly give to a situation. These headphones cost more than the consoles themselves. I wouldn't dare think of spending more than 200 to $250 on a setup for strictly gaming; PC or otherwise. There's not enough fidelity in video games to justify the purchases some people are making. A set of DT770s and a FX DAC-X6 is more than enough; especially when comparing with brands like cooler Master, Kingston, and Razer. But if you're John Ralphio Saperstein and you're flushed with cash I guess go for it.... Or Airbnb Buenos Aires, to each their own.

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #1,549 of 2,728
I am a basshead and looking at the Cascades

I also am extremely sensitive to hotspots on the top of my head

Couldn’t handle ATH-M50x’s. M70x’s are much lighter. Cascades all metal construction looks gorgeous but heavy. Thoughts?

Cascade is HOT, I am not so sensitive but still sometime irritating.

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #1,550 of 2,728
I don't want to sound crass or invalidate anyone here but using the amplifiers and the Cascade headphones noted above for gaming just seems ridiculous. That's the most Overkill we could possibly give to a situation. These headphones cost more than the consoles themselves. I wouldn't dare think of spending more than 200 to $250 on a setup for strictly gaming; PC or otherwise. There's not enough fidelity in video games to justify the purchases some people are making. A set of DT770s and a FX DAC-X6 is more than enough; especially when comparing with brands like cooler Master, Kingston, and Razer. But if you're John Ralphio Saperstein and you're flushed with cash I guess go for it.... Or Airbnb Buenos Aires, to each their own.

Got this gear here for music. Might as well make full use of it I reckon.
:wink:

8A5CDF16-D56B-4D44-83FA-67EF316606B2.jpeg

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #1,551 of 2,728

So you're telling me my Susvara is gaming overkill? :pensive: I mean, the PS4 controller does struggle a bit to bring it up to volume. Shucks...

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #1,553 of 2,728
Don't game much, but if you have the Cascade, think they will do pretty well.

Strictly for gaming, the Audeze Mobius is worth a look too. Loses out on pure SQ terms to the Cascade, but works brilliantly as a Dolby 7.1 or gaming headset, especially with the 3D virtualization. Also, it's an LDAC capable Bluetooth planar.

When I want to get into my music, it's Cascade every time - it smokes everything else I've heard to date for sheer enjoyment. For late night TV watching or gaming, Mobius is my go to.

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,554 of 2,728
I'm not a gamer, but I did pick up the Audeze Mobius, and was stunned watching 5:1 youtube videos at just how good imaging was. Sounds from behind left were clearly identifiable, straight behind me, back right, above me, explosions far in front but off to one side, it was really incredible.

Granted, the Mobius has nowhere near the transient capabilities of the Cascades. Listening to intricate jazz that really "needs" super fast attack and decay to sound right, obviously sounded muddy on the Mobius, while sounding very good on the Cascade which is built for audiophilia, which the Mobius just isn’t built for. But for matching sound location audio to sound source location in video (which gaming needs, right?), the Cascade is "inferior" to the Mobius. Specifically for gaming, it seems like paying more than double the price for less 3D capability.

It kinda feels like buying a Chevy Corvette Z06 and using it in the world class Azores “Rallye” rally Race.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #1,555 of 2,728
I'm not a gamer, but I did pick up the Audeze Mobius, and was stunned watching 5:1 youtube videos at just how good imaging was. Sounds from behind left were clearly identifiable, straight behind me, back right, above me, explosions far in front but off to one side, it was really incredible.

Granted, the Mobius has nowhere near the transient capabilities of the Cascades. Listening to intricate jazz that really "needs" super fast attack and decay to sound right, obviously sounded muddy on the Mobius, while sounding very good on the Cascade which is built for audiophilia, which the Mobius just isn’t built for. But for matching sound location audio to sound source location in video (which gaming needs, right?), the Cascade is "inferior" to the Mobius. Specifically for gaming, it seems like paying more than double the price for less 3D capability.

It kinda feels like buying a Chevy Corvette Z06 and using it in the world class Azores “Rallye” rally Race.
What this guy said

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #1,556 of 2,728
Well, exactly a year and a week from the day I bought my Cascade, I bought the cloth pads. The Cascade with the cloth pads sound amazing!!! Sub-bass and bass volume are reduced but still elevated, and bass impact and low frequency extension are still there. More importantly, I feel the low-mids and mids are now more prominent and not overwhelmed by the bass - for example on Eric Clapton's Unplugged the guitars and Clapton's voice have more body....and without the unnaturally elevated bass of the regular pads. IMO, the sound using the cloth pads is very different from using the tuning filters where, for example with the 2T filter, even though the sub-bass and bass are reduced I didn't feel any difference to body of the sound of the guitars.

OK, the downside? The cloth pads are made of a dense synthetic mesh-type fabric, feel a little rough, and look cheap. Also, either clamping pressure or pad friction is reduced with the cloth pads, causing a hot spot on my head a lot more quickly than normal. ...My ideal ear pad would be the regular leather pad with the synthetic mesh fabric only on the inside of the ear pad.

I highly recommend the cloth pads!!! Plus they're only $39 - looking at you Focal :-/

Just got mine delivered yesterday. Yeah. Big difference. Similar experience/perception to your's. I feel it might be worth it to order a few extra pairs. Seems like they won't last long, and luckily, they're not expensive.

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #1,557 of 2,728
Just got mine delivered yesterday. Yeah. Big difference. Similar experience/perception to your's. I feel it might be worth it to order a few extra pairs. Seems like they won't last long, and luckily, they're not expensive.

I’m glad you liked the cloth pads :)
And agreed, for the price plus the convenient magnetic latching, Cascade ear pads are a steal! Hopefully CA will keep them in stock.

Mar 26, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #1,558 of 2,728
I'm loving the sound of these a couple of weeks in. Mine are actually slightly faulty, but I'm having trouble reconciling myself to returning them as I don't want to be without them!

The only thing I don't like is the use of the HD800 connectors on a portable set, they are just too noisy on the move. The cable is very good for microphonics, but this isn't much use if the connector itself clanks each time I move my head!

Although the right hand side connector is a bit loose, I'm only noticing a noise from it very occasionally. The left is a different story, and I'm hoping that the new set will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back