Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 17, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #1,531 of 2,728
Cascade definitely have more bass, more details / more resolving while still smooth sound.
Meze 99 classics have 2 advantages over Cascade: Better comfort (Cascade causes a hot spot on top of my head) and price (Cascade costs more than 2x).

The 99's are beautiful and very comfortable. They sell for $399.00 (plus 15% tax) in Canada. The Cascades sell for $999.00 + 15%, up here.

I was looking for more bass and bought a "used" set of Sony Z7's. Retail was $899.00, but I got a set (NIB) for $450.00 cash. Lots of bass, but a definite lack of clarity. Outclassed by the 99 Classic's.

Everything I have read states that the Cascade is that amazing product that I have been looking for. However, there is only one dealer in Canada and sales are non-existent.

I will keep waiting and hoping for a sale or a used pair.

Shane D

Mar 17, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #1,532 of 2,728
I wholly agree. The Cascade provides a surprising amount of detail, and though it is a bit bass heavy for me, it is easy to EQ out and bring up the incredible detail on a flatter response. The bass is also very tight. Combined with its travel friendly compactness, the Cascade is an incredibly value when traveling. I also own the Stellia, and while the Cascade is not quite as good, it is an incredible traveling companion.

The Meze 99c, however, is a very fun sound. While not particularly detailed, for a lot of different types of music, the Meze 99c creates some real toe-tapping fun.

Could you give anymore detail on how the Cascades compare to the Stellia frequency response wise?
I just tried the Stellia yeasterday and loved them but I really want something more portable. I was now thinking the Cascades...

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #1,533 of 2,728
Stellia is flatter, and Cascade leans bass heavy.

But, apart from that, I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I generally don't care much about the frequency leanings too much since I eq to reach the frequency spread I want to hear.

I lean much more towards transient response.

And to that end, the Cascade is incredibly fast in attack and decay. It's not quite the level of the Stellia, but still has an incredibly transient attack.
- The Cascade is an impactful power house and the Stellia is more laid back.
- The Stellia is a shade more spacious

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #1,534 of 2,728
Stellia is flatter, and Cascade leans bass heavy.

But, apart from that, I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I generally don't care much about the frequency leanings too much since I eq to reach the frequency spread I want to hear.

I lean much more towards transient response.

And to that end, the Cascade is incredibly fast in attack and decay. It's not quite the level of the Stellia, but still has an incredibly transient attack.
- The Cascade is an impactful power house and the Stellia is more laid back.
- The Stellia is a shade more spacious
Thanks that’s actually very helpful, the Stellia transients really stood out, if the Cascades are even close that is impressive

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #1,535 of 2,728
I will emphasize that the headphones are pretty different. It’s true that attack is so good on the Cascade that for closed back headphones, it’d be Stellia first, then Cascade, then Elegia, which is saying something. But, the Cascade has a very different personality.

To me, the Cascade is more akin to a close quarters fighter. Everything is tight, fast, powerful, but also closed in. The Stellia is surprisingly expansive for a closed back. Not nearly as expansive as the HD820 (which is a headphone I’ve heard often, but don’t own yet), but expansive compared to the Cascade.

There’s really always compromises somewhere.

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #1,536 of 2,728
I will emphasize that the headphones are pretty different. It’s true that attack is so good on the Cascade that for closed back headphones, it’d be Stellia first, then Cascade, then Elegia, which is saying something. But, the Cascade has a very different personality.

To me, the Cascade is more akin to a close quarters fighter. Everything is tight, fast, powerful, but also closed in. The Stellia is surprisingly expansive for a closed back. Not nearly as expansive as the HD820 (which is a headphone I’ve heard often, but don’t own yet), but expansive compared to the Cascade.

There’s really always compromises somewhere.
Go Cascade! Go Cascade! Go! Go!

Mar 19, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #1,538 of 2,728
You need to eq out the bass or use the cloth pads to use in gaming I would say they are good but there are better options

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #1,540 of 2,728
I am a basshead and looking at the Cascades

I also am extremely sensitive to hotspots on the top of my head

Couldn’t handle ATH-M50x’s. M70x’s are much lighter. Cascades all metal construction looks gorgeous but heavy. Thoughts?

Mar 20, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #1,542 of 2,728
You need to eq out the bass or use the cloth pads to use in gaming I would say they are good but there are better options
actually I'm ok with it having a lot of bass, one thing I look for for playing in a video game to give me the rumble of an explosion and other dramatic sound effects. I just need to know if they have a acceptable wide soundstage for gaming so that things like foot steps or gun shots don't sound like its coming from beside me but rather around me making it sound life like and the imaging for it to be good. To be able to pin point where the sound comes from .

Mar 20, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #1,543 of 2,728
actually I'm ok with it having a lot of bass, one thing I look for for playing in a video game to give me the rumble of an explosion and other dramatic sound effects. I just need to know if they have a acceptable wide soundstage for gaming so that things like foot steps or gun shots don't sound like its coming from beside me but rather around me making it sound life like and the imaging for it to be good. To be able to pin point where the sound comes from .
Soundstags isn't what you should be looking for when trying to pinpoint sounds, especially footsteps. Imaging from left to right is the key because most of the sound mixing is done in stereo not something like Dolby Atmos. If you like bass and you want imaging the Cascades would be a very good option, and I would suggest using the stock pads 4 more isolation to really nail down where sounds are coming from.

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #1,544 of 2,728
Gaming.

Hmm, this is the same conversation I am having with myself at the moment.

For a looonng time I have been using
Console - Optical Cable — Victor SU-DH1 dolby amp — ATH-A900.

0B58FCC1-7D63-42A3-A178-E023F4FBF9E9.jpeg

The Dolby amp is kind of old tech now (but does not mean its bad).

Last few days been trying new set ups

3C2BBDE5-5AE8-43A2-8B42-3592D5E0B400.jpeg

Battlefield V (3D setting).

Console - optical cable - iFi xDSD - FiiO LL44 adapter — ALO SXC-8 cable (4.4mm) and Campfire Audio Cascade headphones. (Stock pads, filter 1).

————————————-

Still playing around and trying to get the ideal synergy and sound I am after.

*I use closed cans so as to not annoy my sleeping family.

Attachments

• 616ABAEB-D04F-4BEF-9D58-6FB6ECE6CFD1.jpeg
    616ABAEB-D04F-4BEF-9D58-6FB6ECE6CFD1.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DD7D775D-4B29-491E-9BF0-5C22135123BC.jpeg
    DD7D775D-4B29-491E-9BF0-5C22135123BC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #1,545 of 2,728
Soundstags isn't what you should be looking for when trying to pinpoint sounds, especially footsteps. Imaging from left to right is the key because most of the sound mixing is done in stereo not something like Dolby Atmos. If you like bass and you want imaging the Cascades would be a very good option, and I would suggest using the stock pads 4 more isolation to really nail down where sounds are coming from.
True having a big sound stage is no point if I can't tell where the sound is coming from . But I guess if the sound stage is decent and the imaging is excellent then I'm good with it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back