CAS Source: Squeezebox Touch replacement - Raspberry Pi + PicoPlayer
Sep 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #46 of 52
I'm this close to pulling the plug - ordering myself a raspberry pi + a case for it.

Last question, just from my still lasting skeptical-ism - Right now I'm running JRiver media center through WASAPI mode - meaning that my Laptop's soundcard is pretty much bypassed, and the sound is going straight into the DAC into the amp.  

Wouldn't purchasing a pi and going through it do the exact same thing?

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #47 of 52
  I'm this close to pulling the plug - ordering myself a raspberry pi + a case for it.

Last question, just from my still lasting skeptical-ism - Right now I'm running JRiver media center through WASAPI mode - meaning that my Laptop's soundcard is pretty much bypassed, and the sound is going straight into the DAC into the amp.  

Wouldn't purchasing a pi and going through it do the exact same thing?

No, it is a different beast. Before I wrote this thread, I compared Picoreplayer with JRiver media center in a Lenovo Notebook / PC. Sound quality is clearly superior in Picoreplayer.

You could bypass much of the unnecessary processes for sound generation in Windows by WASAPI but:

1. There are too many processes working behind Windows which deteriorate the sound quality and hard to be eliminated, that is why a software called "Fidelizer" is written trying to optimize Windows for Music. I tried a year ago, not much improvement then and quite troublesome to use.

2. Notebook/PC have too much electronic components which generate noises, it is totally unavoidable.

Honestly, I just don't know why you don't just purchase it and try. (Sorry for being rude, but I have to say this) 

Yes, it might not work as magical as I claimed. But it is only US$40, not hundreds and thousands, right?

Besides, like I said before, it is actually a standalone Linux PC and multi-purpose. For example, install OpenELEC makes it a 1080P media player. It is not going to be completely useless.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #49 of 52
Just to share my experience... I've tried building with a Pi, Wandboard, and even the more complex Vortex box builds... maybe it's just my lack of knowledge / minimal experience, but it seems like these all require alot of time to get "just right." :frowning2:

I'm getting to the point where I just want to BU Y something simple just to add a zone or 2, but I don't want to pay the extortion-type pricing sellers have online... and came across these replacement players called Open Squeeze Solo.  http://www.vidabox.com/opensqueeze-replacement-squeezebox-alternative-multi-room-zone-music-hardware-audio-players/opensqueeze-solo-music-player.html  Anyone tried this?  Pricing is inline with what I paid for a duet a while back... May have to give this a shot!

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #50 of 52
  Just to share my experience... I've tried building with a Pi, Wandboard, and even the more complex Vortex box builds... maybe it's just my lack of knowledge / minimal experience, but it seems like these all require alot of time to get "just right." :frowning2:

I'm getting to the point where I just want to BU Y something simple just to add a zone or 2, but I don't want to pay the extortion-type pricing sellers have online... and came across these replacement players called Open Squeeze Solo.  http://www.vidabox.com/opensqueeze-replacement-squeezebox-alternative-multi-room-zone-music-hardware-audio-players/opensqueeze-solo-music-player.html  Anyone tried this?  Pricing is inline with what I paid for a duet a while back... May have to give this a shot!

Hmm...the picoreplayer is somehow relatively hard to setup up but have you given RaspyFi a try?

I am not sure about zone 2, do you mean have the 2nd RPi and play music stored in a common storage like NAS?

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #51 of 52
Hi all

Thanks for your review on piCorePlayer. 

I have listened to your suggestions that it was difficult to set up and there could be problems with USB-DACs (a raspberry problem)

So now there is a new version with build-in web server, so now you can simply configure the piCorePlayer through a browser from another computer.
And it now supports DACs connected via i2s like the HiFiBerry DAC http://www.hifiberry.com/ 

PLease try it from here

Steen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back