CAS Source: Squeezebox Touch replacement - Raspberry Pi + PicoPlayer
Sep 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #31 of 52
Other than for convenience, I'm not still quite clicking as to why going through the Raspberry / Picoplayer would give any improvement in sound.

In technical terms, would we be changing the source from the PC to the Raspberry instead?  And why would that necessarily be better?

I've ordered one just so I could mess around with it and so I can control the music through my Android, but I'm curious as to how the sound improvement will come.

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #32 of 52
  Other than for convenience, I'm not still quite clicking as to why going through the Raspberry / Picoplayer would give any improvement in sound.

In technical terms, would we be changing the source from the PC to the Raspberry instead?  And why would that necessarily be better?

I've ordered one just so I could mess around with it and so I can control the music through my Android, but I'm curious as to how the sound improvement will come.

Yes, it is a change of source because it is now Pi controls your DAC. PC will just act as a place to store the Music.

It might be because PC has too much components and therefore a noisy background. Also, the OS in picoreplayer is simple and little non-essential processes are running compared with Windows.

I am sure there will be much improvement as proven by me and others. The improvement will be greater if you connect a NOTEBOOK and Pi through a Ethernet cable.

One more thing, if you play WAV file. I found that it is better to disable the flac/sox in the LMS server. It is in "settings" -> "Advanced" -> "File Types".

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #33 of 52
since the PI has two USB ports, Is it possible to connect an external USB HD to store music instead of a pc?  
or connect this to a NAS Data Storage?

I want to make  raspberry + USB HD + NAS Storage --> Audio-GD 11.32 ---> BH crack ---> T1

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #34 of 52
  since the PI has two USB ports, Is it possible to connect an external USB HD to store music instead of a pc?  
or connect this to a NAS Data Storage?

I want to make  raspberry + USB HD + NAS Storage --> Audio-GD 11.32 ---> BH crack ---> T1

Yes and No.

Yes, you could install the Logitech Media Server in your NAS and play music from NAS.

No, you could not play music via Pi's USB port with Picoreplayer.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #36 of 52
Everyone using Raspberry Pi, good news!!!

A local forum user impressed with my Picoreplayer suggestion and he just counter suggested to try a new OS, the RaspyFi v1.0.

Quick tested and found it is far more easy to setup and the sound quality is better. You could play music via USB / Network share.

Anyone impressed with Picoreplayer should found that it is even better. I am going to start another thread soon and please tell me how do you feel in that another thread, thanks.

RaspyFi v1.0
https://sourceforge.net/projects/raspyfi/files/latest/download?source=files

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #38 of 52
  Everyone using Raspberry Pi, good news!!!

A local forum user impressed with my Picoreplayer suggestion and he just counter suggested to try a new OS, the RaspyFi v1.0.

Quick tested and found it is far more easy to setup and the sound quality is better. You could play music via USB / Network share.

Anyone impressed with Picoreplayer should found that it is even better. I am going to start another thread soon and please tell me how do you feel in that another thread, thanks.

RaspyFi v1.0
https://sourceforge.net/projects/raspyfi/files/latest/download?source=files

this is what I need? SAMBA + USB storage :D

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #42 of 52
HOLY CRAP!!!
eek.gif

Can't believe I missed this thread!
I've been waiting this for ages.

Thanks a lot fourwed, I'll definitelly give this a try.

popcorn.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #44 of 52
Sep 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #45 of 52
  I've been perusing this thread and this may help a person or two.  I have 4 Raspberry Pi's that are streaming music and I also use SAMBA to get at some locally stored music. 

While I was working through the Squeezeplug project I built up a web page as I was going along.

http://www.hagensieker.com/styled-9/index.html

Interestingly, I also tried squeezeplug in the very beginning and found that it is not compatible with my USB DAC, though it might be the lack of knowledge to tune it. Moreover, if I install LMS into the same RPi, it is too unresponsive because of a lack of horsepower.

Since you have a RPi, I recommend you to try RaspyFi as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back