CAS Source: Squeezebox Touch replacement - Raspberry Pi + PicoPlayer
Sep 5, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #16 of 52
I did not play with settings and versions for a while but to enjoy the music played via picoplayer. I would like to share my latest setup and experience with you.

1. I am using "willem1" to play my majority 16/44.1 music, it causes the least problem and sounds best amongst all versions.

2. Use a notebook instead of a desktop PC as the Logitech Media Server sounds best so far. I am considering to get another Pi as the server to see if there will be another improvement

3. Direct connect my Pi with my notebook is better than via a router. For instruction, please visit here: (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99409-Picoplayer-without-DHCP-settings-and-USB-DAC-compatibility-reports)

4. Different power supply, Micro USB cable and LAN cable DO sounds quite differently in terms of quality. As most of us should have more than ONE in our home, please try different combinations to achieve the best sound.

5. Although the Pi should not need much power, however, my 5V 2.5A power supply with a labelled 2.1A capable Micro USB cable delivers a better punch and dynamics.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #17 of 52
I don't know, some said the analog output is quite alright but I think it all depends on what kind of gears you are using. It could / might beat the analog output in PC but definitely not high end gears.

I am sure it will be as easy as 123 to get your iPad work with it once they are properly setup.

Problem is I only have one Modi and I want to keep it with my desktop setup. Oh well maybe its a good excuse to upgrade to a bifrost and lyr.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #19 of 52
So I followed all the instructions on pico player site, I connected the Pi to my TV via hdmi and I get a black screen. I do not see the pi in my LMS either. What am I missing here. I have the pi connected via ethernet to a powerline adapter which is also how I provide ethernet to my desktop.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #20 of 52
allright I got it all working. You have to log-in via Putty to do initial set up. Sounds great so far with just 3.5mm to my SX-650.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #21 of 52
Allright i have it working with my Modi out to a pioneer sx-650. Dnt't think my Mad Dogs ever sounded so good. Listening to billy joel FLAC. Seriously good.

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #23 of 52
Allright i have it working with my Modi out to a pioneer sx-650. Dnt't think my Mad Dogs ever sounded so good. Listening to billy joel FLAC. Seriously good.

Yes, it is very seriously exceptionally good and yet CHEAP!! I am sure it is the best upgrade for years since I play CAS. Welcome to the party!!

Honestly, I am little disappointed for such little people would like to try this. Is there something wrong with my suggestion??
I am really a lazy guy and if not too thrill by this, I am sure I would not post a post that long.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #25 of 52
Now I'm using the willem1 - version and here is where I'm at right now:

1. 24/96 -  no problem
  2. 24/192 - works great if I use a buffer setting of 40, without it I get a slight stutter when I play the first 192-file, I guess it needs to resync to 192 or something
  3. 24/176.4 - this does not work. Squeezelite hangs and I get no sound. Log spews out a lot of messages but I get no sound. IF I manually set maximum rate to 96 (-r 96000) the file plays fine, but at 88.2

so If I can figure out how to get 176.4 to run smoothly, I guess I need to get a new PI since I was gonna use this for brewing beer... 

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #26 of 52
  Now I'm using the willem1 - version and here is where I'm at right now:

1. 24/96 -  no problem
  2. 24/192 - works great if I use a buffer setting of 40, without it I get a slight stutter when I play the first 192-file, I guess it needs to resync to 192 or something
  3. 24/176.4 - this does not work. Squeezelite hangs and I get no sound. Log spews out a lot of messages but I get no sound. IF I manually set maximum rate to 96 (-r 96000) the file plays fine, but at 88.2

so If I can figure out how to get 176.4 to run smoothly, I guess I need to get a new PI since I was gonna use this for brewing beer...

What do you think in terms of sound quality in this version compared with others?

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #27 of 52
Going on memory here alone, since I'm unable to compare them side-by-side, I'd say I prefer this one. And here is my reasoning.

I have a logitech transporter, which is fine and dandy, but I'd like to test other transports and since it cannot play files above 24/96, it would be nice to have something that could. And the raspberry can.

When I compared the transporter to picoreplayer I used the synchronize-feature so that both the transporter and the picoreplayer played the same stream. Then switching between the two on my DAC revealed differences. I realize that when compairing this way, any technological differences between the inputs of the dac will affect the sound. So it isn't a fair comparison, I get that.

Anyway, doing it like this, I felt that the transporter gave a wider and more detailed sound. I heard more details from the transporter.

Now, when doing the same comparison but with the willem1 - image, I cannot hear the same differences. I like this. Also being able to play pcm at 24 bit, 192khz also makes me prefer willem1.

I cannot say, technically, what the differences is between the different images. I upgrade squeezelite so when I'm using willem1, it uses the same version of squeezelite that picoreplayer does. So there must be some other implementation that makes it... work and run better.

I'd say that picoreplayer is a very very nice transport if you use the lms and willem1 version seems to work better.

If anyone asked me, I'd say try that version first and see if you cannot get things to work. If not, then look at the other versions.

It would be interesting to see what the creator of picoreplayer thinks and what could be the differences between the versions of picoreplayer that makes willem1 work better.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #28 of 52
  Going on memory here alone, since I'm unable to compare them side-by-side, I'd say I prefer this one. And here is my reasoning.

I have a logitech transporter, which is fine and dandy, but I'd like to test other transports and since it cannot play files above 24/96, it would be nice to have something that could. And the raspberry can.

When I compared the transporter to picoreplayer I used the synchronize-feature so that both the transporter and the picoreplayer played the same stream. Then switching between the two on my DAC revealed differences. I realize that when compairing this way, any technological differences between the inputs of the dac will affect the sound. So it isn't a fair comparison, I get that.

Anyway, doing it like this, I felt that the transporter gave a wider and more detailed sound. I heard more details from the transporter.

Now, when doing the same comparison but with the willem1 - image, I cannot hear the same differences. I like this. Also being able to play pcm at 24 bit, 192khz also makes me prefer willem1.

I cannot say, technically, what the differences is between the different images. I upgrade squeezelite so when I'm using willem1, it uses the same version of squeezelite that picoreplayer does. So there must be some other implementation that makes it... work and run better.

I'd say that picoreplayer is a very very nice transport if you use the lms and willem1 version seems to work better.

If anyone asked me, I'd say try that version first and see if you cannot get things to work. If not, then look at the other versions.

It would be interesting to see what the creator of picoreplayer thinks and what could be the differences between the versions of picoreplayer that makes willem1 work better.

The official forum for picoplayer is here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97803-piCoPlayer-Squeezelite-on-Microcore-linux-An-embedded-OS-in-RAM-with-Squeezelite

The Author, Steen, does not have a right USB DAC at the moment although he is really eager to improve it.

Not just you, many local users think that the willem1 is the best for USB DAC so far.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #29 of 52
Do I need any coding experience and whatnot to be able to run this?

Right now I have a very similiar setup as yours (Laptop=>Audio-GD DAC=>Amp=>Headphones/Speakers) and wouldn't mind going for some cheap improvements.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #30 of 52
 Do I need any coding experience and whatnot to be able to run this?

Right now I have a very similiar setup as yours (Laptop=>Audio-GD DAC=>Amp=>Headphones/Speakers) and wouldn't mind going for some cheap improvements.

No, one of the beauties is its simplicity, well, sort of. You don't need to code anything with a Wireless / Wired router.

Please refer to the first page for an updated simple setup procedure.

It depends on which kind of USB chip in your DAC, if it is TE8802 based, you could use the exact same setup parameters as me.

Beware, it is cheap but sounds too good to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back