CARY CAD 300sei or other 300b amp owners, share your 300B tube rolling experience pls
Feb 26, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #46 of 63

I have ancient  Sylvania on one 300 SEI.  the one is the office still has the originals  Works fine with KR Audio, EML, WE and British Genalexs.
The big difference on this baby is through 300B, 6SN7 makes smaller difference.

True but metal sylvania 6sn7w or tung sol round plate 6sn7/68fg make a good difference too. You have some nice 300b. How are KR balloons - I'm thinking about getting those - in comparison to EML300bxls?

You have 2 300sei?  You must really enjoy them.  It's a pretty good integrated amp and I'm surprised they aren't mentioned much on this forum.  If you use 6sl7n in the two driver positions you get a nice increase in gain too.  I'm using 6su7 currently and genalex 300b -nice airy ethereal sound however my klipsch bookshelf speakers are the real weakness and need to be replaced- have to try with my sub sometime soon too. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #47 of 63

True but metal sylvania 6sn7w or tung sol round plate 6sn7/68fg make a good difference too. You have some nice 300b. How are KR balloons - I'm thinking about getting those - in comparison to EML300bxls?

You have 2 300sei?  You must really enjoy them.  It's a pretty good integrated amp and I'm surprised they aren't mentioned much on this forum.  If you use 6sl7n in the two driver positions you get a nice increase in gain too.  I'm using 6su7 currently and genalex 300b -nice airy ethereal sound however my klipsch bookshelf speakers are the real weakness and need to be replaced- have to try with my sub sometime soon too. 

great talking to another 300SEI roller.  I almost got a third earlier this year when Cary had a refurb for $2900.  It had slight surface marks but supposed to sound fine.  Only difference with current model is the paint job, but Cary has changed that a dozen times since the early 1990s.
I waited too long....

If you love Bach Toccata and Fugue in D, then the 300B Balloons are a must to audition.  I got my pair a couple summers ago when Tube Depot had all KR for 50% off.  I couldn't help myself.

The EML were recent.  They seemed to have wider dynamic range over KR, but that could be my music.  Mostly ensembles, jazz and soundtracks.

I have used Harbeth with the SEI for many years.  Recently went to KEF Blade 2.
Most of the time, it's Nagra HD DAC into SEI, then headphones.

Middle of the night, there is nothing better,

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #48 of 63
^ I was checking out the specs on these 300b and Cary recommendation to run them at 150-160ma will kill the genalex 300b fast since at 450v on the plate an 80ma bias would be optimal at not 150ma to operate them within spec according to the genalex datasheet.  However KR300bxls and EML300bxls are ok and can be biased even that high I think.  The KR balloons and regular KR 300b I think are both 450v with max plate is 120 = 54 watts but max spec is 50 watts. 

Anyway, I was listening to the fugue last night and it is remarkable the 300sei gives both warmth and detail without bloom to the organs. With Choral and Cantatas and it is the same warm but detailed. However too busy choral passages are remarkably well enough for a low power set.

I may get the balloons but my concern is if I bias at 100ma - the Cary manual says it can handle from 120ma to 180ma but a cold-bias of less than 120ma I imagine wouldn't be a problem unless you can literally hear your amp cutting out from lack of current.

I've biased my genalex at 105ma and so far it seems fine and sound wise as well. And I've added a 250ma hifi classic tube fuse and a 2a furutech fuse - seems to tighten image and dynamics.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #49 of 63

My second unit arrived 2009 and it had the Russian General Electric 300B branded to Cary's moniker.
It was for all practical purpose the same as the very popular Genalex Gold Lions 300B sold now for about $350 a matched pair.
Those original 300B I still have in the closet after some 4 years or 2500+ hours at 160-170ma.  I have a meter attached to my Cary pretty much most of the time.  Religiously I checked them before and after I play music.

Nearly 20 years on the first and 7 on the second, I have not changed fuses.
(I have changed fuse in my Headroom Desktop Power Amp a dozen times in ten years, by comparison)

So, while the General Electric may print 100ma,  I have used it for well over that for years.
The other SEI has been on 160-170 for longer.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #50 of 63

My second unit arrived 2009 and it had the Russian General Electric 300B branded to Cary's moniker.
It was for all practical purpose the same as the very popular Genalex Gold Lions 300B sold now for about $350 a matched pair.
Those original 300B I still have in the closet after some 4 years or 2500+ hours at 160-170ma.  I have a meter attached to my Cary pretty much most of the time.  Religiously I checked them before and after I play music.

Nearly 20 years on the first and 7 on the second, I have not changed fuses.
(I have changed fuse in my Headroom Desktop Power Amp a dozen times in ten years, by comparison)

So, while the General Electric may print 100ma,  I have used it for well over that for years.
The other SEI has been on 160-170 for longer.

Ok that's good to hear.  I just want to avoid any possible problem with a tube taking out a transformer etc instead of just a fuse.

Maybe I'll get the Cary multimeter and keep that installed is that what you use?

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #51 of 63

Ok that's good to hear.  I just want to avoid any possible problem with a tube taking out a transformer etc instead of just a fuse.

Maybe I'll get the Cary multimeter and keep that installed is that what you use?

That one be do fine, you do pay a lot for an analog readout.
I use a digital meter.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #53 of 63

It is about $100 for that analogue multimeter but I think it has the phono bias plug.   Do you ever tweak the bias?

At each startup, if the reading is beyond the 150-160mA (sorry, i misquoted 160-170 previously) after 5 minutes, I adjust it a little back into the range.  Been doing so for decades.
At closing time, stop music, turn Cary volume knob to the left stop and switch my power conditioner off.

Regarding the larger balloons on the Cary.  They will wobble a bit left and right.  Some more than others.  I never did try to wobble them as the music is playing, so cannot say the loose fitting causes any issues.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #54 of 63
B stock of 300 SEI available direct now at 40% off from Cary
http://www.caryaudio.com/cary-direct/b-stock/

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #55 of 63
Some brief listening impressions. The 300sei (with clarity caps) + hd800 sound really good with orchestral music.  The amp has good synergy with the wide soundstage and imaging of the hd800. The HEK is a good all rounder there's more bass impact than the hd800 not surprisingly and all well articulated here. The amp resolves well and imaging is a little more precise than in the wa5le v.1 (upgraded parts) but the wa5le has richer dynamics, control and depth. The wa5le is a bit richer and the 300sei resolves prat is lean so like lemon juice on fried seafood.  The hd650 scales well and is the most precise I've heard them while maintaining prat.  The 300sei is using the stock Genelex 300b, a pair of sylvania vt-231 and a 6sn7w.  I think with a pair of 300b like Taks the amp will reach its true potential.

Apr 29, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #56 of 63
Got an email from Cary.

The have a Cary 300 SEI B stock at 40% off the list
They also have one day sale for first time customers on any new item(s) including the Cary 300SEI for 25% off. The entire order.
I never got 25% off my Cary 300SEI.

Paul 

May 30, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #57 of 63

If you love Bach Toccata and Fugue in D, then the 300B Balloons are a must to audition.  I got my pair a couple summers ago when Tube Depot had all KR for 50% off.  I couldn't help myself.

The EML were recent.  They seemed to have wider dynamic range over KR, but that could be my music.  Mostly ensembles, jazz and soundtracks.

I've been listening lately to bach organ music and as headamp I'm really impressed at the resolution and prat.

May 30, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #58 of 63

I've been listening lately to bach organ music and as headamp I'm really impressed at the resolution and prat.

"prat" ?

May 30, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #60 of 63
Pace, rhythm, and timing. As a headamp, it also resolves well that complex instrumental pieces do not get muddled. And solo organ sounds rich but do not get bloated or rounded.

What headphone are you enjoying organs with the Cary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back