Cary Audio SLI 80 - Owners Unite!
Oct 3, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #286 of 298
I assume you're referring to this?

https://www.headphoneer.com/cary-sli-80-sig-vs-leben-cs300-xs-review/

Everything was out of the headphone output in that review. The text doesn't use the word "bright" once ,)

The Leben is more energetic, also in the top, but it's not "bright".

Sorry I should have said brighter relative to the cary. I really am targeting a very warm chain for my hd 800S and zmf atticus. Trying to upgrade from my modded crack thats why I was thinking the cary might be the better option. I wonder if the cary would be better for 800S and leben for atticus.

Oct 3, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #287 of 298
Sorry I should have said brighter relative to the cary. I really am targeting a very warm chain for my hd 800S and zmf atticus. Trying to upgrade from my modded crack thats why I was thinking the cary might be the better option. I wonder if the cary would be better for 800S and leben for atticus.
The SLI-80 is great with the the hd800, i got a hum with the xs (but not all owners had that issue). The newer 300f hasn't got the hum problem afik. Don't know about the cs600.
For me the Cary is the perfect allround amp - especially after I started using the speaker taps.
Now I've got Mullard kt88 installed, they are warmer than the previous tubes yet high in detail and totally delicious.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #288 of 298
The SLI-80 is great with the the hd800, i got a hum with the xs (but not all owners had that issue). The newer 300f hasn't got the hum problem afik. Don't know about the cs600.
For me the Cary is the perfect allround amp - especially after I started using the speaker taps.
Now I've got Mullard kt88 installed, they are warmer than the previous tubes yet high in detail and totally delicious.

Do you have the sli 80 signature or regular ?

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #291 of 298
Oct 4, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #292 of 298
Maybe someone can take a look at the schematics to close this one up.

CARY SLI-80 HEADPHONE OUTPUT CONFIGURATION

As I already have stated multiple times the headphone output is tapped off the power amp. You can clearly hear the difference between triode and ultra linear mode and also the pop when you switch the switches. Anyway...

Here's Steve from Cary:

When a headphone plug is inserted into the headphone jack of the SLI-80, the jack mechanically disconnects the speaker binding posts and directly drives the headphones. The music signal is routed directly from the output transformers to the headphone jack and headphones. There are no relays nor any added electronic circuitry except for a couple of loading resistors which limit power to the headphones. The headphones are fed a pure music signal directly from the amplifiers output transformers utilizing the full sound quality of the SLI-80 tube circuitry.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #294 of 298
As a dedicated headphone amplifier the EAR HP4 is better... But when you use the speaker tabs for HE-6 etc the SLI-80 is more versatile and powerful. Both are great!
What about hd800 sli80 taps vs hp4

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #296 of 298
HP4 is hard to beat. Tried them just now. SLI-80 is great - speaker taps or not - but the HP4 is superb
damn.. thanks

Oct 6, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #298 of 298
I have been a fan of the SLI-80 headphone output for a long time. A simple and elegant solution for both speakers and headphones. Love that I can swap between Triode and ultralinear mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back